128GB Micro SD on w510...

Options
csmart
csmart Member Posts: 18 New User

HI,

Can I use 128 GB Micro SD card SDXC card on Acer Ionia w510? I found that it supports 64 GB but no mentioned about 128GB.

Thanx..

~csmart

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

I do not know about a microSD card but it has no problem with a 120 GB SSD. It just cannot be formatted with FAT32 or it will appear as a 32GB device, must use either exFAT or NTFS.

• funacer
    funacer Member Posts: 38 New User
    Options

I am also using iconia w510 with internal memory 32 GB and 32 GB support of external memory written in manual. Does it also support 64 GB or more?

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

funacer wrote:

32 GB support of external memory written in manual. Does it also support 64 GB or more?

OMG. The answer is just before your question, mate.

• padgett
    Options

BTW when I contacted SanDisk they said the 64GB does not use any more power than a 32GB so overtemp should not be an issue. I also verified that it could address the whole 64GB.

Just checked and the SD card uses the same drivers as my USB 120GB SSD drive so se no reason why there would be a size limit so long as the format is recognized.

Cannot say for sure since I do not have a 128GB microSD card but if it quacks like a rose...

• funacer
    funacer Member Posts: 38 New User
    Options

Iconia W510 comes in two version ie 32 GB and 64 GB of internal memory. Others may have the 64 GB version. In my case, it 32 GB of internal and 32 GB of external support (as written in manual). It is better to be sure before to buy 64 or 128 GB card, whether it work or not.

• csmart
    Options

@funacer thats the reason I'm asking. I will be buying Micro SD card for my w510. If 128 GB supported, then will opt for that. CPU will support that but no idea about Micro SD. I also read on HP Envy x2, uses same processor. It says 128 canbe connected to full USB port. So just worried if not supported then will be waste.

• padgett
    Options

Everything I am seeing says a 128 GB microSD should work but since I don't have one cannot says for sure. Will say that my first 64GB turned out to be a countefeit (a remarked 8GB) so buy only from a reputable vendor and I would verify with a tool designed to test large capacity SD cards.

See http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/ and H2TESTW

• csmart
    Options
    Yeah, will be buying from reputed seller only. But worried about its working...
  • boyonfire89
    boyonfire89 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

I know that the tablet supports a 60 GB micro sd card, I use one in mine. (just to clarify) If you would like to test our a larger size just go to Wal-mart and buy one and be sure you save the recipt. If the larger size is not compatable walmart will let you do a refund. I asked about my 60 in case it didnt work and they said if it didnt then i could return it.

• csmart
    Options

I am from India and we don;t such facility over here...

• padgett
    Options

That is unfortunate "Wal-Mart Stores gave up on India’s huge market on Wednesday, announcing that it had indefinitely delayed its once-ambitious plans to open hundreds of superstores across the country".

Part of the issue is that it seems that 128GB micro SDXC cards are apparently just now (October '13) being released and availability seems very spotty.

So far I have tested with a 64GB microSD card in the socket and 120 GB SSD USB. So a 128GB microSD "should" work just cannot justify over U$100 for something I don't need.

• csmart
    Options

Price is not a problem. I have gift voucher of a well known retailer in India. But the problem is that they do not exchange if it is open. So want to make sure before pruchasing that it will work.

• nov1868
    nov1868 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

yes u can use a 128gb micro sd I formatted mine NTFS and it works great! Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.