Acer Aspire AO531h

Options
romafan2007
romafan2007 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I noticed that Acer is really trying to keep any questions regarding "past products" to a minimum support. Oh well, spending 700 euros in 2009 doesn't count for much I guess. Anyway, enough of that. 

I have an Acer Aspire AO531h, also called ZG8. 

Since I have a trip coming up I would like to bring this small notebook with me, but it needs a bit of an upgrade. I know it fits 2GB of ram, which I've successfully installed. But the question is, does it support an SSD? 

I have an Intel 520 180GB SSD at home that I would like to install on it to get a more power efficient notebook on the go. 

I haven't been able to find ANY information regarding the motherboard manufactor nor the BIOS. 

Any help is appreciated!

Answers

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi Romafan2007,

Yes your netbook does support an SSD.  It holds a 9.5mm HDD normally so you can easily slot in an SSD in it's place and see it run like a dream.  I did the same with my girlfriends Aspire 5920G.

The bios will be fine also.

• romafan2007
    romafan2007 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you very much for that response! 

I'm looking forward to using it abroad! Smiley Happy

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Romafan, you might want to think this through. How are you going to install your operating system on your new SSD? Do you have a copy of the original OS? Microsoft might go after you because they think you are using your copy of Windows on two different machines. Are you sure that you can get drivers for a new SSD on a four-year-old computer?

We don't get that many questions about older laptops because most laptops are out of use after three years. However, Acer has not done anything I know of to stop the owners from posting.

As far as four year old computers go, you have a good one. But it is not a powerhouse, and you could have trouble getting the SSD to work well. The fact that it still runs suggests that you have taken good care of it. I would hang onto it the way it is.

This discussion has been closed.