Iconia B1 Bloatware

Options
LoginName
LoginName Member Posts: 1 New User

I want to uninstall the unnecessary apps from my Iconia B1 to make room for apps I'll actually use.  I'm not finding that option in settings, instead I'm only given the option to "disable" the ***** I will never use.  Do I need to root the tablet to get rid of the bloat?

This is my first Acer purchase and I assure you it will be my LAST.  I'm very disappointed.  I hate the unwanted, unnecessary apps that Acer is determined to shove down my throat.  If Acer really wants to optimize the buyer experience, they should lose the presumptuous, 'one app fits all' attitude toward customers.  Just because I want to use Android doesn't mean my device usage needs to revolve *completely* around Google.  I bought the bloody tablet, so Acer got the quick buck it wanted, isn't that enough??  I don't want or need Chrome, nor do I want/need Gmail or any other app that *requires* a Google account!  Why does Acer expect me to keep this bloat??

While I'm at it, another thing I found insulting was the pre-set bookmarks in the browser!  I had to delete ALL of the bookmarks.  How dare Acer just assume that *every* buyer watches ESPN and uses Facebook?! 

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Answers

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Hey, mate, have you ever bought a product brand? All have bloatware. Acer may be less than others.

Android, like iOS or W8, needs an account to be totally functional (Play Store for ex.).

For your question, you can uninstall all non-system apps in Settings - Applications - All (choose the app and uninstall). Or you can do it via Play Store, Options - My applications.

For system apps, you must be root. But take care: don't delete critical apps or you will have a brick...

Welcome in a marketing world!

• rjoz
    rjoz Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

With only 512MB of ram the bloatware really gets in the way.

With Android 4.4 Kitkat low memory devices like the B1-A71 would perform much better :-) How about a firmware update Acer? Smiley Happy

• rjoz
    rjoz Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

edited by me to comply with community guidelines Smiley Happy

• inuya5ha
    inuya5ha Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
    Options

I try to avoid looking at the RAM usage because it annoys me so much to see that even with all apps closed the memory usage is over 350 MB. But I assume this is not caused by bloatware only, I disabled all apps I could disable and forced stopping the other I found useless, but memory usage is still over 330 MB.

There must be something else that eats so much RAM and it's impossible to close. I think the problem is... Android 4.1.2. And Acer's reluctancy to provide a major Android update to get out of this Android 4.1 hell.

BTW, I agree that all manufacturers add bloatware. Acer's bloatware at least can be disabled, but Google contributes with a dozen of useless apps and services that cannot be disabled nor uninstalled (Google Currents is the latest insult, I pressume).

I have nothing against Gmail, and Chrome (not even preinstalled on my B1-A71). And about the bookmarks, wether you like it or not, those must be the most visited sites so it's logical to add them. Just delete the ones you don't like/hate.

This discussion has been closed.