W511 with Win 8 Pro - log on to domain problem

Options
NiklasAa
NiklasAa Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, hope someone here might have the solution to this little problem.

I just bougth a Iconia w511 and upgraded the software from win 8 to Win 8 Pro. I then added the machine to a local domain.

This changes the lock screen. It wont respond to swiping your finger upwards to reveal the section where you can type in your password.

Instead it says to hold down the Windows button and pushing the power button or use regular Alt + Ctrl + Del.

When docked there is no problem, just use the Alt + Ctrl + Del; but when i'm just using the tablet I can't do that. The "holding down the windows button and pressing the power button" doesn't do the trick either. In fact, hold down the power button too long and the whole thing shuts down.

I've tried using the virtual keyboard to make an Alt + Ctrl + Del, but it wont respond to that. I've tried other combinations of buttons (the sound for example) but without luck.

Tried searching for new drivers for the Iconia w511, but the only OS you can download drivers for is WIn 8 - not Win 8 pro.

Anyone know of a solution?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

One way would be to have it open without a password though from a security standpoint it is not a good idea.

Open a DOS box and type  “control userpasswords2” and press Enter.

Then Uncheck the box for “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

• NiklasAa
    Options

It is on a domain, so i have to type in username and password. But thanks for the suggestion.. Smiley Happy

• padgett
    Options

Only if you want to use SSO. Otherwise you can loginto eachapplication (like Outlook) individually.

• NiklasAa
    Options

The domain policie prevent me from tampering with that kind of things.

I found out that I can change a registry value that disables the "always use Crtl + Alt + Del", but the domain policy sets it back again.

This question goes to ACER as well. Shouldn't the "Windows button" + "Power button" work on a Iconia 511 with Win 8 Pro on a domain, as it does on a Surface Pro for example? And is it something that there will be an upgrade that fixes at some point?

• padgett
    Options

Then you need to talk to the domain admin about creating a policy for tablets and joining that. It can be done but sometimes bureaucracy gets in the way. Either that or just not be a member of the domain and enter credentials individually.

• Parianto
    Parianto Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi sirs,

Can you tell me how to replace OS win 8 to Win 8 pro step by step ? Smiley Happy

because i already try booting from USB DVDrom and USB flash disk but cannot read the devices...

Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Parianto

This discussion has been closed.