Acer TravelMate 7720G BIOS upgrade - "Open flash.sys Fail"

00 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 64bit on my Acer TravelMate 7720G. My current bios is v.1.22, and I found v1.35 on Acer site. I downloaded the .zip file and followed the instructions, but received a WFlash error stating "Open flash.sys Fail." I also tried running the clb-135.exe file as an administrator but still got the same error.

I tried booting to dos, but the files do not include files to work with there. The clb-135.exe file is not DOS compatible, and the other files include only a .vxd, a .sys and a .txt file.

I googled that clb-135.exe might not work on 64bit installations, and I tried to run it on a command prompt on a 32bit Windows 7 installation disk, but got the exact same error.

The original reason for me to upgrade the bios is that my cpu multiplier seems to be stuck at x6, and the core clock at 1.2GHz, instead of jumping between that and 2.2GHz and x11 multiplier. Multiple pieces of software and benchmarking confirm the issue. The cpu is Core 2 Duo T7500.

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: I ended up using the regular sata connector to install Windows XP on a desktop hard drive, powering the drive on a running desktop. On XP the bios update ran flawlessly, and it also resolved my original problem.

[subject line edited to accurately reflect topic]

This discussion has been closed.