Topic

Regular Visitor
angry_user

W510 teardown or crack open

[ Edited ]

Has anyone opened up a W510 yet?

The real question is:

Has anyone reset the BIOS password?

After installing the latest driver package, which seems to have a BIOS upgrade with it, it now requires a pw to get into BIOS.

After 2 frustrating hours on the telephone with Acer, they insist on charging me $99 to reset the BIOS pw.

I clearly told them that after receiving instructions from them to install the latest drivers to resolve lock up issues after closing the tablet/keyboard that it now wants a PW.

I never set a BIOS pw!

They say they hear me but insist the driver/BIOS upgrade did not set a pw.

I can almost agree with that but maybe, just maybe, some bit was flipped or a register was set in error during the BIOS upgrade.

I refuse to pay them for a warranty service item and will smash this thing before they get another penny from me.

Thank you Acer for the excellent customer service.

Frequent Contributor
Damreal

Re: W510 teardown or crack open

[ Edited ]

The sad thing is even above all that they requested a dam fee which to me is outrageous !!  The dam W510 never came out in North America until mid Nov. And you are within your time frame of one year free of costs from tech support over the phone or online or anthing that needs fixing under the warrenty issued within 1 year of purchase!! 

Regular Visitor
angry_user

[ Edited ]

Forget the BIOS pw reset.

Now the thing just goes from 'Preparing Automatic Repair" to "Diagnosing Your PC".

Back and forth it goes, and goes and goes....

Regular Visitor
angry_user

After one more telephone call Acer did give me a prepaid FedEx shipping label for the return.

But again indicated that if the technician deems a pw was set they would call me to get authorization for $99 for the pw reset.

I promptly told them, again, that I will not pay for that service as I did NOT set a password. To which their reply was that they would send me the device back.

Please listen to me Acer; I installed your drivers/bios upgrade to remedy a problem with the device locking up after opening the display from the keyboard/dock.

I purchased this new and the box was unopened.

No one at the store messed with it, at least the best I can tell since the box was still sealed.

I installed your drivers via your Acer Explorer

After installed and a prompted restart, it wanted me to install the AC power supply

Then the BIOS upgrade began

Then the machine would not work any longer

Then I called you

Then I was denied service

Then I was here looking for assistance from other users

Thx

ACE Pioneer
padgett

[ Edited ]

Normally when this happens you would pull the main and CMOS battery and reset the BIOS but I do not see a CMOS battery (see disassembly picture in http://www.anandtech.com/show/6529/busting-the-x86-power-myth-indepth-clover-trail-power-analysis). Most motherboards even have a "CMOS reset" jumper.

So if I were that desperate, I'd open the case (may be some hidden screws) and pull the battery connection at the top of the picture to see if that would reset the CMOS. I am sure that if you open the case like that it will void the warrenty though.

Looking at the picture it appears that the RAM is the Elpida SMD and the SSD is the 1.8" Sandisk both appear to be soldered in  but I would really like to know what is supposed to go in the rectangular opening with four mounting holes near the top. Real GPS maybe ?

Notary Sojack Y'all
Click >HERE< for web page
Frequent Contributor
Damreal

just return the darn thing. Or buy a new one and swap it out and get you money back swaping the returned one with the screwed up one

ACE Pioneer
padgett

#2 is a bad idea. Other than the legal and moral implications, sellers usually record the serial number of the sold device. Mine is on my receipt.

Notary Sojack Y'all
Click >HERE< for web page
Occasional Contributor
whiskey

In case anyone is reading the OP and fears that the lastest BIOS update will create an active BIOS password:

I decided to check and had no such security blocking me from entering the BIOS.

This is on a system that has been updated from the 1.03, 2.04, and latest 2.08 driver packages which included and applied their BIOS updates.

The OP has other issues wit is system and his security issue is unlikely to solely be attributed to a driver/BIOS update.

Frequent Contributor
Damreal

bad idea how? This is no different than swapping one out in an exchange at the store. Abeit it is only in a last ditch wffort if the store won't return. And fyi nobody needs moral jargon ummmmmaky 

Occasional Contributor
whiskey

Damreal wrote:

Or buy a new one and swap it out and get you money back swaping the returned one with the screwed up one

That is illegal.

You are suggesting one to switch items and thereby fraudulently fail to return a specific product that is expected by the seller and not the item falling under their terms and conditions of a sale.

As dishonest as you are attempting, this fraud of yours could be used to refresh for a new product whenever you wish for as long as that product remains for sale. Not cool.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Long time Acer Community member and leader Padgett has reached a new milestone of 1500 posts helping and guiding others to solution. Please join me in congratulating Padgett on this accomplishment.

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: