Acer Iconia W4 Is DEAD!

Options
Iconia
Iconia Member Posts: 3 New User

I got my Acer Iconia W4 32GB just 4 days ago. I was playing "Asphalt 8: Airborne" game from the Windows Store when the tablet suddenly froze and the graphics on the sceen distorted. I powered off the tablet by holding down the power button. Now when I power it on, it does not boot up. The green light next to the power button blinks in an inconsistent pattern and it keeps going on like this. I can then power it off by holding the power button. The display stays blank. There is no Acer logo. I cannot enter the bios by holding the Volume UP while pressing the power button. I have also tried a hard reset by inserting a paper clip into the reset hole but it made no difference. The tablet simply does not boot up. I have also tried holding the power button down fro 30 seconds with the battery connected. That also made no difference.

Though the tablet is in warranty, I cannot avail this warranty as I purchased it through a reseller who imported it from USA.

Suggestions what could have caused this? Solutions?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you try holding the power and the volume up key down at the same time and wait for the BIOS memu to open.

If it opens select the BOOT tab and see if the options list a Windows Boot Manager. If so make it first in the list and try to boot again.

• Iconia
    Options

I have already tried that, but the result is same as that of only pressing the power button. Previously when the tablet was alright, I had to hold the power button for a short while to turn on the tablet. But now as soon as the power button is pressed, the led blinking phenomena starts. Could this be a corrupt bios problem?

• padgett
    Options

That sounds more like the tablet has never really turned off and is in a loop. I see you tried just holding down the power key until it solidly shuts down (may take 30 seconds), then wait about a minute, then restart.

This is the point with a laptop what I usually just remove the battery for a bit but that is difficult with a tab.

What I do not understand is why clicking the reset button in the hole by the SD slot did not work. I'd try holding that down for a few seconds.

• Iconia
    Options

Well I am sure that I am completely shutting down the tablet. Could this be a corrupted BIOS, or even worse a fried Motherboard/GPU? I don't know if the latter is possible though because when the tablet crashed, it was not hot at all as I had just started playing the game.

• padgett
    Options

It could be almost anything. The fact that it does something is hopeful thou you need to get it out of its loop. Eventually the battery should run down and then it may reset.

• ChesterOne
    ChesterOne Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Hello,

I had the same problem. The tablet suddenly died.

Here is the thread

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-Tablets/Acer-W4-not-booting-at-all-Just-black-screen/m-p/293820/highlight/false#M12405

Eventually, I've sent it to the Acer Repair Center. Let's see how it will end up.