Not enough space to update to Windows 10

Options
crjensen
crjensen Member Posts: 2 New User

I just bought a W1-810 tablet yesterday.

I haven't installed any programs yet, because I wanted to update the tablet to Windows 10 first.

I have installed a 32GB memory card.

I have downloaded Windows 10 through Windows' own Windows Update.

BUT: When the tablet gets ready to install version 10, I get this error message:

Windows needs an additional 9.35 GB on the C: drive.

So, this is my problem:

I have a 32GB external memory card inserted into the tablet.

When I open the C drive to see how much space there is, there is only 8.28GB available out of 20.7 - and I haven't even installed any programs yet (apart from downloading Windows 10).

So does this mean I won't be able to install Windows 10, or is there something I can do?

Thank you,

Carsten.

Best Answer

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi crjensen,

I have not had the opportunity to perform the upgrade, but here are some things that might be helpful to you.

Acer FAQ on the Error: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38036

Another thread where it appears the user basically skipped the middle man. http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Windows-10-for-Iconia-W1-810/td-p/372599

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

On my 32GB machines (W3, W510) when I saw the error "Windows needs..." there was an option to use an external drive and was able to use either a 16GB flash or SD card for the extra space.

Note: when you click on the option, it takes a minute to find suitable external drives.

ps the Acer example mentions the R3-131T. Only ones with the N3050 CPU and 32GB SSD that came with Windows 8.1 should have this issue.

• crjensen
    crjensen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

My tablet is a ACER 8" TABLET W1-810-17FE

I did also get the option (after downloading Win10 through Windows Update) to use an SD Card during installation - and I have a 32GB inserted - but that wasn't enough. The error message still says that I need more space on the C drive. Having plenty of space on an SD Card isn't enough.

But, from what I read in Corys reply I should try to install using the Media Creation Tool - instead of Windows Update?

So apparently, if I use Media Creation Tool and download Windows 10, I should be able to install it?

Carsten.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

First: Create a recovery disk and system image (this is like "disconnect the negative cable" for a car.

Now much free space do you have on C: ? I have seen Windows install with as little as 6GB free.

If less, have you run Disk Cleanup (open file explorer, right click on the C: drive and select properties. Disk Cleanup will be on the middle right. Once the first pass finishes select "Cleanup System Files". Look for "Temporary", "Downloaded", or "Windows" files. Are any several GB ? If so select and then OK.

How much free space do you have now on C: ?