Upgrading to Windows 10

Options
BDC643
BDC643 Member Posts: 13 New User

I have Windows 7. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 while it's free.

My question is: what does that mean for Acer backup manager. Acer backup manager seems to take presidence over the windows version of backup manager. 

If I upgrade I want to be able to make a recovery disc for windows 10. I'm not sure how all that will work while having acer backup manager in the background.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i think Acer erecovery will work as on windows 8.x, so it will start the windows default software to create system images or recovery disk.

by the way, normally it will create a windows 7 recovery disk and not a windows 10 recovery disk, since the Acer recovery partition is windows 7 from factory.

so a system image after windows 10 upgrade (when OS seems stable and with updated drivers) with a windows 10 installation media, will be the best choice.

so, in the worst case your HDD will fail, you can boot from windows 10 installation media and force it to recover from the system image you did.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • BDC643
    BDC643 Member Posts: 13 New User
    Options

So if I want to make recovery media for windows 10 I should use the recovery options that come with Windows 10 and forget about Acer recovery media?

Or will the acer recovery media turn into windows 10 recovery media after I install windows 10?

Sorry man, I'm confused.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

as far as i know, you must use Windows 10 features. Smiley Happy

Acer erecovery, can't turn to windows 10 recovery.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

After you upgrade to windows 10, you'll be able to do a clean installation of windows 10 (for free), if you ever need to .....just like you can do it with windows 8.1. A clean installation just includes the OS and not Acer pre-installed software. Some of the Acer pre-installed software you can get from the Acer website and some you cannot. For example, my computer came pre-installed with Cyberlink power DVD player which I use a lot. I made a backup copy of it because it's not on Acers website for me to download. So if I ever did a clean install of windows 10, I would just reinstall it from my backup.

The link below allows you to create a USB drive or DVD of just the Windows OS for windows 8.1. I suspect that on July 29th, they will also have a web page just like it for windows 10.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

As Ironfly said, you should also make a system image backup. So you'll have another option for recovery. I generally don't restore a system image backup when doing a recovery. I just do a clean install. But again, you'll at least have the option to do so.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-a-system-image

As always, you should keep your important files backed up. I use a hodgepodge of backup options including USB drives, and the cloud (OneDrive, GoogleDrive, GooglePhoto, and Flickr). But other options include drop box, Amazon, etc....

And of course, windows 10 has builtin recovery options.

If you have windows 7 or windows 8, you should use Acer's Recovery Management Software to make recovery USB/DVD before you update to windows 10 (if you haven't already) so you'll still have that avenue of getting back to windows 10 through windows update again.

Edit:  And you should have the option of ordering your windows 7 or windows 8 recovery software from acer.  And then use windows update to get back to windows 10.  This option isn't free as Acer charges for the recovey discs if you have to buy from them.

Edit2: So in a nutshell, if you have your files backed up, and make a recovery drive,  you have nothing to worry about if disaster strikes., e.g. your hard drive fails, or you get a nasty virus/root kit/MBR infection....so you can use "diskpart clean".....and start over fresh.

Windows 7:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-7-Recovery-options/ta-p/59667

Windows 8/8.1

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26286/~/create-a-acer-factory-default-backup-in-windows-8.1

• CHRISMCM
    CHRISMCM Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I HAVE an aspire and trying to download windows 10 but everytime i try i get a "something happened" error i contacted microsoft and they requested product id  i gave it to them and they said it was blocked i had to contact you for help but the site wont let me chat because my pc is to old please help

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

CHRISMCM,

I got that "something happened" bug a couple times too.

I think you should open a new thread.  But to upgrade to Windows 10 via the microsoft tool, you'll need to select "upgrade this PC" if you can ever get to that point.  You may have to delete the tool file that you downloaded to your computer, then restart your computer, and re-download the tool again.  

The best way to upgrade to Windows 10 is through Windows update though.