Aspire T3-605

s/n DTSPYAA003***

SNID ***

P/N DTSPYAA003

Bios P11-A0

Power Supply FSP500-50AAGA

OS Win 10

EVGA GeForce 8400 GS DDR3 

Acer boots up with blank back screen until windows loads. If I need to access the bios I have to pull the EVGA out.I am thinking the bios only looks to the intergated graphics card on boot. 

Can the bios set be so the EVGA as the primary boot adapter in the motherboard's BIOS? Like set the option to PCI-E or PEG? All i could find was power by pci enable or disable. I enabled it but still black.

not the end of the world.

Shawn

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,052 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The original graphic boards are only UEFI and I found no options in the bios setup utility:

VGA BD.GT635.2G.UEFI.W/DVI/HDMI.ATX

Apparently your graphic board is not UEFI. I suggest you to contact the EVGA support to be sure.

Sorry no ideas.

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Have you uninstalled the Intel graphic driver?

France
  • shawn_f
    shawn_f Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

Yes. I have gone back and forth. I can pull the card and the display will work on boot. The bios does not have many options and seems very limited. I found an updated bios P11.A4. Didn't see much in the description that would help me. But did find a bounch of Nightmares from users?

Shouldn't be this difficult to boot to the pci card. I mean Acer has the slot to add the card? So there must be a way. Perhaps the card is legacy only. Well the bios should be able be changed to legacy. Other Acer products, such as the note books can.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27045/~/changing-bios-mode-from-uefi-to-legacy

Note that Acer desktop computers do not allow changing from UEFI to Legacy. Instead you would need to Enable or Disable Secure Boot in Windows 8. Ok I did that!

I had the card laying around and just thought why not... Now I have entered a whole new discovery of UEFI vrs Legacy vrs cards? I think with the Acer just use it stock. This is the first box i bought. Usually build.

Its no biggie...it's like I am on a quest and can't stop myself!

Thanks Shawn

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,052 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The original graphic boards are only UEFI and I found no options in the bios setup utility:

VGA BD.GT635.2G.UEFI.W/DVI/HDMI.ATX

Apparently your graphic board is not UEFI. I suggest you to contact the EVGA support to be sure.

Sorry no ideas.

France
  • shawn_f
    Options

Hi laurent_14,

Great advice once again!

Thank you

Shawn

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

If you're trying to get your BIOS in legacy mode, I'm sure if you searched the forum, you'd find lots of posts about:

Updating BIOS, switching to legacy mode, creating factory default recovery media, backing up your files, using diskpart clean to wipe your drive and putting it an unintialized state so you can re-install OS in legacy mode.

Personally, I wouldn't put my UEFI bios in legacy mode, but if you're on a quest.....

I don't even know if the card would work even if you re-installed in legacy MBR mode....so you could be wasting your time.

Here's just one of many posts on this forum.....

http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Aspire-AT3-605-UR21-video-card-and-power-supply/td-p/110937/page/2

Spoiler
    lczhao
    Re: Aspire AT3-605-UR21 video card and power supply

‎05-06-2014 10:29 AM

Yeah. After hours of searching on the internet, I had to disable Secure Boot and then go to change CSM to Always to enable the legacy video Bios to finally get it to work.

Message 15 of 18 (877 Views)
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • shawn_f
    Options

Hey Jordan,

Curse the quest. Sometimes the prize is not worth the effort! I have to admit I was completely ignorant of the effect of UEFI ! But your absolutely right. After scouring Acer site, tom hardware etc, I realize no mas. I glad you posted, I was able to recover my sanity, admit my ignorance, accept it and enjoy the rest of day.

Shawn

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Smart move!

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • shawn_f
    Options

Gracias!