Aspire AT3-605-UR21 video card and power supply

Options
araken126
araken126 Member Posts: 1 New User

I recently bought a new Acer AT3-605 minitower on sale at Frys. It didn't come with a video card, but I figured no big deal, I'll order one and install it, and worst case I'll have to upgrade the power supply too. Turned out the power supply came up short -- 300W vs 400W -- and when I tried to upgrade the power supply with a 500W PSU I had handy, I saw the Acer motherboard didn't use the standard 20 or 24-pin connections, but some strange 12-pin arrangement. 

I couldn't find any information about it in the Acer documentation, or by Googling around, so I asked Acer support for information -- and got back a form response saying that they "don't recommend consumers upgrade the video card" and that they wouldn't give out compatability information. This means the PCI-E slot in an $800 MSRP computer is effectively useless. 

Before I take this computer back to the store and pay whatever restocking fee they're going to charge me, does anyone happen to know how to upgrade the PSU in this model? The existing PSU is a 300W by FSP Group, model number FSP300-40AABA.

Answers

• tallerguy
    tallerguy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I bought the same unit at Fry's last week and have exactly the same problem.  I bought a video card that was on sale (ASUS GT640) and then discovered the power supply is only 300 watts.  My plan is to try to return the computer to Fry's this week, but I think they will try to charge over $100 restocking fee.  No where could I find out on any of the places this computer is advertised that it only had a 300 watt power supply -- the video card I bought with the computer requires 75 watts -- ther is no way that it would work with this small of power supply.  Fry's is advrtising a 700 watt power supply for $44 (after $20 rebate) and I was going to ask the service department there whether they thought that would fit and work in the Acer as a last resort, but I hate to have to spend more money.  In my opinion, this unit should never be sold with a small power supply -- I want to have at least a 2 monitor setup and don't think I could even do that with the graphics on board.  If i return the unit, I may buy a Dell unit that is advertised at Costco -- better specs (including dedicated video) and larger power supply -- only about $50 more than the Acer unit. Good luck with a solution. 

• tallerguy
    tallerguy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I was able to return the Acer unit to Fry's today along with the video card.  I did check and they had a power supply that would work, but it was $44 and they wanted $50 to install it.  It didn't make sense for me to spend another $100 to fix a problem that the computer shouldn't have had in the first place.  I am going to look at a Dell unit that has better specs at Costco for $699 -- it has a loarger power supply and a dedicated video card.  

• martinyng
    martinyng Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thanks for letting us know Fry's has one compatible one to install.  I could understand why Acer support won't give out that information. A kid not long ago was killed by attempting to change the power supply. 

I just got this computer and am aware the power supply is little not up to what we expect.  But looking at the configuraion of this I7 machine, I am very happy with it and am very willing to pay technianl to install a new PSU professionally.  Just be very very careful if you decide to upgrade one yourself.  Even with an unplugged unit, the residual charge may still be lethal if they are not probably discharged. 

• capage58
    capage58 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Greetings,

I'm dealing with the same issue on a Aspire T3-605-UR24 i bought ay Frys as well. I discoved to my dismay the the 300 watt power supply and motherboard were propritary and could not be upgraded with ATX standard components. I asked the Acer support the question and was told we can't upgrade.

My Fry's was unfamiliar with a compatable power supply, any way you could pass on what it was. The Acer I bought has a Nvidia GT640 installed with the same 300 watt powere supply, how they do this is unknown to me, as when I bought the computer I intended on upgrading anyway. My biggest problem is this use of non-standard components and statements that the usnit not be upgraded is not included anywhere in their documentation.

• igniti0n
    igniti0n Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello,

I am currently thinking about purchasing this machine that is on sale here, i have already thought about upgrading the graphics card to a GTX 770 and when i asked about the watts on the power supply the store was unwilling to let me know. Would it be possible that the same system here would only come with a 300-400watt power supply? If so i am looking at a 1000watt powersupply to swap over and am just wondering if this combination will work out in the long run.

thanks

• bslepko
    bslepko Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I had the same problem with an Acer At3-605-UR24 desktop I bought late last year at Fry's, no way to upgrade the psu due to the proprietary psu-mobo connector.  I tried for day to find something on the web to no avail.  Also tried Acer support and they couldn't help.  I reached out to a bunch of executives at Acer (I'm in the support business myself) and actually received a reply.  Guy named frank acknowledged the problem, indicated he is responsible or fixing it over the last twelve months, assured me they changed for future builds, and best of all promised to track down a 500w psu for me, for free.  We'll see if it comes in but so far pleased with the response from Acer.

Brian

[edited for privacy]

• dcphotos1985
    dcphotos1985 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Any news on the PSU ugrade from Frank? I have the same model and am experiencing the same issue. I'd love to upgrade mine, or at least have this model get sufficient power in the first place. This model should never have been shipped with such a low end power supply. I believe pcpartpicker recommended at least a 350w PSU for the components in this model. The mere fact that this model is considered a gaming computer is beyond me (If only I knew as much about PC's when I bought this last year as I do now, I would have built my own or gone a different prebuilt route, yes I'm crying over spilt milk because I'm under warranty and this should be corrected with everyone) I'd love to put a new GPU in, can I? NO. That would require a new PSU, can I put a new PSU in? NO. As stated above, nowhere in any description has Acer stated that upgrading is not possible nor unsupported.

Three months after I purchased the AG3-605-UR24 model, the packed 2TB Seagate HDD started ticking randomly (sometimes violently freezing my computer momentarily, other times slow but for longer periods, still a problem as well) Insufficient Power anyone? Hmm... I spoke to customer service to get it replaced (still under warranty) only to find out the whole PC must be shipped AT MY EXPENSE, we're talking almost $100 to ship or I could take the hard drive out and ship it seperate, still at my expense (cheaper) but will get a HDD back completely formatted with no O/S installed which I would then have to re-purchase myself. Ok enough venting about Acer, figured I could do it here, sorry if I can't. I would like to know if anyone has figured out any work around for this and if bslepko has any recommendations for contacting which execs. It just really hurts my brain thinking I spent over $800 on something that can't be upgraded given the territory (PC gaming *cough*) or that needs upgrading right out of the box to begin with. Maybe an Acer rep could stop by and answer our questions, help us out a little... You know, we, the paying customers...err..maybe not by the looks of it. Wishful thinking I guess. BBB anyone? Smiley Tongue

• bslepko
    Options

I worked with frank Received a new 500w and installed yesterday, works great.

Also, the original psu only has connections for the mobo, nothing else. The new one I received has other connections so I can add more devices.

Brian

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

• lczhao
    lczhao Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi Brian, 

Can you give us a bit more details on how to get the upgrade PSU? Email or 800 numbers? Or if acer can provide us the directions to get the PSU replaced. That would be great. I wouldn't mind even buying this part if I know the part number for $40 or so. I bought the desktop and a new graphics card last year and haven't been ablet to put them together. 

Thanks,

Li

• bslepko
    Options

The contact email I worked with was [edited to comply with guidelines].  I can get you part numbers tomorrow but I don't get the impression they are available for consumers.  I would send Frank an email telling him your situation and ask what he can do.

Brian

• lczhao
    Options

Thanks Brian. 

I contacted Frank and he passed me to Premier support. They have a new SOP for this now. Premier supported emailed me the part number and the phone number to order. The part number is below. Long story short, I had to call another nubmber after the first number turn me down because they cannot sell me accessories if my system is still under warranty. Second, they can only sell me accessories for the system that it came with. Make sure you have your SN before you call. They will need that to open a new account for you. 

Phone: [edited for privacy]

Part Number: DC.50018.001

PSU FSP FSP500-50AAGA,(A01001) 500W ACTIVE PFC 100-127V/220-240V, SINGLE-RAIL DESIGN

Price: $64.35 + $10 for shipping + tax

It's pretty pricey after shipping and tax. I should get the part early next week. 

• lczhao
    Options

I received the 500W power supply today. Replacing it only took minutes. However, I've spent the last few hours trying to get 4 videos to work with the computer. The computer boot with video if I don't have any other video card plugged in it. If I plug any video card there's no screen. The computer beep once at boot like it does normally and seems to boot normally - just no video. Out of the 4 video cards 2 require additional power and 2 don't. I took the video card from another computer, so I know the cards are good. One of which is brand new. I tried to unplug the hard drive and wireless mpcie card too, but no luck. Not sure if my computer is bad or what. I've also updated the BIOS too. 

• mfkc
    mfkc Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

make sure you disable Windows 8 secure boot or the card will not work. 

• lczhao
    Options

Yeah. After hours of searching on the internet, I had to disable Secure Boot and then go to change CSM to Always to enable the legacy video Bios to finally get it to work.

• zeeprime
    zeeprime Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm hoping this thread is the answer i've been looking for. I recently purchased an ATC-605-UR13, only to find out about the power supply after the fact. I'm almost certain my model comes with the same 300w power supply as the other models described in this thread. Any information on how to get my hands on the 500w power supply would be appreciated. I've searched for the model number FSP500-50AAGA only to come up with some sites I'd rather not buy from. Thanks!

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• mfkc
    mfkc Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

You can now find the 500W version of these power supplies on ebay.  Item 231267206305 ($99).  80 Gold Plus rated so they should be great quality. 

• cuteflu
    cuteflu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am wondering how you deal with the old PSU. My AT3 doesn't start at all. Worst thing is this is a refurbished desktop I bought from eBay.

I am thinking about replacing a PSU. Currently the only replacement option is that fsp500 which is $90. I just think it's too much for me since my intension is not upgrading the graphics. Thanks!

Zeran

[edited to comply with guidelines]

This discussion has been closed.