BIOS Upgrades for E and Z Series

Options
WJB-2
WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

In trying to upgrade BIOS for a 2012 Aspire Z Series and a 2014 E Series, the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) are very different. While the Z's P01.B0_Windows has instructions for DOS or Windows, the E Series 2.30 SOP says simply to run the executable Windows file.  Until now it's been considered safest to upgrade a BIOS via DOS. But since the E Series SOP provides no such option, I'll temporarily disable the virus protection and "hold my breath" while running the executable.
As to the Z Series this archived post of January 2013 states we "need to create a bootable flash drive" to update by DOS.  But the post is from a Windows 7 and XP world and my even older February 2012 SOP envisions the new BIOS on a CD and mentions nothing about creating a "bootable" -- although the SOP writer(s) may have assumed we know that.
Both my E and Z are on Windows 10 Version 1511, Build 10586.589, and I plan to move each to Version 1607 upon BIOS upgrades. So, I'd greatly appreciate if someone can point me to a newer supplement to these very cryptic SOP instructions for P01.B0_Windows:

In [DOS Mode]

1. Power on System and Boot to DOS
  2. Key in ‘cd DosTool’ (Go to BIOS path like “A:\DOSTOOL”)
  3. Key in ‘Flash2M.bat’ or ‘Flash2M
  4. Press <Enter> and start to flash System BIOS
  5. Reboot system and Press <Del> to enter BIOS setup menu.
  6. Load default setting, and Save & Exit.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You don't need to flash via DOS, unzip the downloaded zip file; double click Wintool folder and double click 32 or 64 folder (depends if your windows 10 version is x86 or x64 version) and then double click WFlash2M.BAT

that's it, it's safe.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

Z model number?

• WJB-2
    Options

Aspire Z1620-UR31P (Originally with Windows 7 OS)

Sorry ... I was thinking in this instance giving the BIOS identifier would be best. (But best not to ignore the Community's stated need to always list model number[s]. So ... FYI the laptop is E1-731-4651, which was original OS Windows 8.1.)

• IronFly
    Options

have you checked the actual BIOS version prior to flash it?

windows logo key + r

msinfo32

check BIOS date/version string

• WJB-2
    Options

Yes, I've looked previously, and just rechecked to confirm it is American Megatrends Inc. P01-A2, 8/18/2011. SMBIOS Version 2.7.

If you check Acer's OS/BIOS upgrades for my AZ1620-UR31P I believe you should confirm Acer's latest available update as the one I've downloaded and am prepared to flash: BIOS_Acer_P01.B0_Windows. (There was a prior one but I missed it.)

I am doing this only because Acer on its WIndows 10 Eligible Models page that includes both of my Windows OS Acers states quite emphatically to update the BIOS before upgrading to Windows 10.  Unfortunately I missed that bottom-of-the page alert before multiple Win10 upgrades/updates but according to ACE-Billsey I can still proceed with BIOS updates at this late date.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

You don't need to flash via DOS, unzip the downloaded zip file; double click Wintool folder and double click 32 or 64 folder (depends if your windows 10 version is x86 or x64 version) and then double click WFlash2M.BAT

that's it, it's safe.