I have an Acer veriton M261 I need more memory is none registered the correct type ? I can go 4 GB

blues90
blues90 Member Posts: 17 New User

I now have 512MB . I keep seeing virtual memory when running netflix .

Also I always wondered what the difference is in the board built video card . The one in the M261 when it came with the wide screen monitor must be different than in mine because with the Dell wide screen I could not get the resolution high enough so I added a video card to support this monitor and had to use their driver from ATI for it to work . ATI Radeon  x300/x550/x1050 series.

Answers

• Hello,

Your destop supports up to 4Gb - DDR2 - 667MHz (2x2Gb).

Compatible memory modules: Crucial - Kingston

France
  • blues90

Thank you .

I ordered two DDR2 -667MHz (2x2GB ) memory from another on line site . I had to shop for price and they offer a life time warranty . $24 for both. They seemed to know what they were talking about. They will also help if I run into issues which I hope I don't.

If I remove the one 512 MB memory that is in this Acer I should be able to install the two 2 GB one in each slot , I have done this before .

Will the computer see these without me doing anything else ?

• Hello,

"Will the computer see these without me doing anything else ?"

Yes. You only have to check the total memory (4Gb) in the bios setup utility. That's all.

France
  • blues90

I am confused about the BIOS . What would I look for to see if the 4 GB is recognized.

Will the Acer recovery panel when I look up system show this ? I can see what it has installed now using that.

• Hello,

Firstly check in the bios setup utility like this:

1. Start up your desktop
    2. When you see the Acer logo, press [Del]
    3. Select "Standard CMOS feature"+[Enter]. You'll see the total memory on the bottom of screen
    4. Press [Esc] and select "Exit without saving" +[Enter]

Note: Select with the keys arrows

What OS do you use?

France
  • You can also check in Windows Vista like this.

France
  • blues90

I got the two 2 GB memory cars today . I installed them both and the PC would not boot , it just offered a series of beeps . I called the place I got them from and they said they were to correct ones and they did fit perfect. I made certain they were inserted proper.

They told me perhaps one was faulty and to remove one then try it didn't solve anything same beeping.

Then I put the one 512 MB card that come with this PC and it booted right up . Then I added one of the new cards to the second DIMM socket with the original were it was to begon with and I get this black background screen with white lettering stating this might be because of a hardware change or power loss and this screen kept counting down and returned to the acer screen where you can enter I guess in the BIOS or somewhere by pressing delete and to use start in windows normally in what ever screen that I need to access. The first time ater trying both new cards then removing one it didn't boot just beeped . Once I removed both new cards and placed the original back in it booted right up . I tried this again leaving the original in place and adding the other new card beeping again . I pulled the new card and left the original and it went to that same black white letter screen then it went on to boot up and is working only with the one original 512 MB card it the original slot.

How do I go about this ? It seems like this acer M261 with XP Pro does not recognize the new memory on it's own. I sort of doubt both new memory cards are faulty . I suppose it's possible . In 2009 when I installed the PC express video card it saw the new card no problem it also saw the moden card and the new CD drive .

Any thoughts would be great . I thought this would just be simple , seems I was wrong.

• blues90

I wanted to add . It seems like the restart from windows is in the safe boot by pressing F8 . I tried that while this  PC has the original memory card installed and for some reason it only works if I start hitting the F8 before the acer screen that offers the boot and BIOS come up . If I wait longer than that I can't get into safe mode. I really don't know if that's the solution either.

• Hello,

About the new memory modules, they are not compatible.

About F8 Safe mode, yes it's normal. You have a little time to activate the safe mode.

France
  • blues90

Are you saying the two new memory modules are not compatable with my acer PC or not compatable with the original acer one?

The on line store where I got them says they are compatable . What they are telling me is it's the BIOS is old since it's an older PC from 2007 and said the BIOS needs to be upgraded from the acer site.

Yet the acer site has a later BIOS yet warns you of risks involved up grading the BIOS.

All I have read from all these places selling memory or RAM is that it's tested and known to be the proper type yet read of issues or bad RAM due to shipping or other concerns.  I'm not sure now what to do or where to go from here.

• My opinion:

Crucial 2x2Gb: 54$

Kingston 2x2Gb: 52$

Yours: 24$

Half price! Hmmm I'm skeptical.

1. Could you give me the link of the online shop?

2. You can't mix both memory module: 512+512 or 1+1 or 2+2 - 512+2 impossible

France
  • blues90

Here is the link you asked for.  http://www.computermemoryoutlet.com/

I also spoke to Crucial and they said it really shouldn't matter where I got it from it was the type of memory which I read to them and they said it is compatable. They were nice about helping me. The one fellow at Crucial that since my PC is a 2007 model that most times it will not see the new memory cards. He said either get an update for the BIOS from Acer or go into the BIOS and use the exit tab and that might help the PC see the new memory.

The place I got the RAM is sending new ones out just in case they are somehow faulty.

I am at sort of a loss here.

I am not certain I understand what you mean "You can't mix both memory module: 512+512 or 1+1 or 2+2 - 512+2 impossible" . Does this mean you can't use different brands together ?  When I do this using my old card plus one new one I at least get a screen which is the black back ground with white letters telling me to enter the safe mode screen then use start in normal windows . I haven't tried this or anything else . What I don't want is to screw this PC up so it won't work even with the old memory card . If I use either of the new ones in just one slot or both one in each slot I get no screen so I can't do a thing , I just get beeping .

• blues90

I wanted to add . I am not sure what going into the BIOS screen and then use the exit tab means . This is one thing the fellow at Crucial said . I'm not sure I should exit and save or exit and not save.

1. You can only install the size memory modules.  2Gb+2Gb Ok    2Gb+512Mb Don't work. Just for information.
    2. I check on the online shop and the memory module are 400MHz.
    3. Which windows version do you use?
    France
  • blues90

My PC has windows XP pro SP3 . Yes the sites basic memory is 400MHz . I asked about this and they also have 667 MHz and they said it was the same spec and will work and fit. It's under basic memory by type on thier site.

• Ok. You can check the actual bios version like this:

1. Click on Start
    2. Click on Run
    3. Type msinfo32.exe in the Open box, and then click OK
    France
  • blues90

BIOS version is 2.4 from 2007.

• Hello,

Look at the line above. That begin by R01-**. Smiley Happy

France
  • blues90

Hello :

That line says  Phoenx Technologies. LTD RO1-A3, 8/10/2007

• Hello,

Have you tried with only one memory module of 2Gb?

If it doesn't work, try with the other one of 2Gb.

I prefer you to do this test before updating the bios. I'll give you the procedure.

Have you received the new memory modules?

France