aspire v3-772g unable to enter Crisis BIOS recovery mode

cruhz2k3
cruhz2k3 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspire V3-772G laptop.  Upon powering on the device, it sits with a blank/black screen.  The fan is running, but it doesn't appear to be able to get past POST.

The first time this issue happened, it sat like this for about 30 mintues and then suddenly the ACER logo appeared and it booted to Windows.  Once Windows was running, the device worked 100% without issues.

The next time this issue happened, it sat like this for about 2 hours and then it booted normally.

This time I have let it sit for ~12 hours and it will not boot.

I've done a lot of searching, including this community.  This post seems very related: http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Aspire-V3-772G-bricked/td-p/462723

What I am attempting to do is recover or update my BIOS using the Crisis Disk.  I've followed the exact steps that others have provided (power off, unplug, insert thumb drive with bios .fd file, hold fn+esc, plug in, power on), but the laptop doesn't do anything. The thumb drive light illuminates for about 5-10 seconds, then goes off and nothing shows up on the screen.  Does this model support the Crisis Disk?

I can't do anything in Windows at this point, so any BIOS recovery from Windows is off the table.  Is there anything else I can try besides tearing the computer completely apart to pull the CMOS battery?  Watching videos it looks like you literally have to take off every single of hardware to get to the CMOS battery (drives, ram, keyboard, touchpad, etc).

Answers

• Shenya
    Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I'm glad I just saw this. Just over a week ago (morning of Tuesday 20th Dec), my laptop appeared to die. Here's my thread: http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/V3-772g-9653-Won-t-boot/m-p/474099#U474099

The thread you linked does seem like the exact same issue, so for some reason, after years of no issues, our laptops are all having a weird issue. I never left mine on like you did, and I thought it was bricked. It had been working perfectly with zero signs of issue, I had shut it down to take it with me that morning, and when I powered it up some 45 minutes later, just the power lights and battery light were lit, fan full speed no screen or logo or any sign of booting. I pulled each RAM module out separately, each drive (mSATA, orignal HDD and DVD drive) all to no avail (it did spring to life briefly after pulling the DVD drive then shut off on its own and wouldn't go again after).

I went to visit family over Christmas and removed the battery before I left, so for just over 2 1/2 days it was without any form of power whatsoever. I didn't expect anything to happen when I replaced the battery and pressed power when I returned, but sure enough, it fired right up. After glitching at OS selection and automatically getting into Windows 10 and with me being to scared to restart or shut down etc., it's been up and problem free now for 2 days, 3 hours and 16 minutes.

If you don't want to take it apart to get at the battery, and if someone can't tell us how to flash the BIOS when it's in this state, try removing the battery for a few days and see if you get lucky as I did. I'm hoping someone can provide us with a bit of information as to what is going on and how to resolve it.

I hope you get yours going again!!