Aspire V3-772G bricked?

ShadowSplicer
ShadowSplicer Member Posts: 6 New User

Hey guys, hoping you can help me out here.

I've had my Aspire V3-772G-6468 for a couple of years, and it's now out of warranty. Great laptop, no issues, running latest software updates, and latest BIOS (v1.15).

Suddenly this morning, after no symptoms or signs anything was wrong, it won't boot. Not only will it not boot though, it won't spin up the hard drives, initialize the CD drive, the screen won't turn on, even the CPU fan just sits there; NOTHING has power. The power light comes on (far left, blue), the power button light comes on, and it recognizes that the battery is in and power is there. I did the standard hold power button, battery out, AC power only, taking RAM and hard drives out.

I looked online to see if I can maybe force update the BIOS, but I had issues with the software provided... But beyond that, it doesn't seem to want to even go into the BIOS recovery/update mode. Should there be lights flashing (I've heard this) when entering the mode?
I tried the fn + esc/B and win + esc/B and nothing works.

Doing the force update wrong? BIOS completely bricked? Motherboard completely dead? WHAT could have caused this? I've never abused the laptop a day in its life.

Answers

• Acer-Karp_Retired
    Acer-Karp_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

What Windows are you running?

Was any update done to the device?

Does the Acer Logo show on the screen?

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • ShadowSplicer
    Thank you for your reply! Glad to see some sort of feedback here.
    Latest version of Windows 10. Not sure the exact build, but it was definitely latest. I do not believe there was a pending update or anything installing at the time of the problem.
    No. The power LED and button light; literally nothing else happens. No fans, drives, monitor lighting.
  • ShadowSplicer
    After pulling apart the laptop completely, I took the CMOS coin battery out, gave it a couple of minutes, and was able to turn it on again! I heard the CD drive spin up like normal, and the hard drives whirred. It took half a minute for the monitor to turn on, but then it finally booted up.
    After that, I updated the BIOS to 1.15 and installed some Windows updates, and restarted it a few times. Good as new.

Apparently when I bought the laptop from Newegg a year and a half ago, it still had release 1.13 on it, from another year and a half before... Newegg apparently had the laptop for a while, and never bothered to update it. Or whoever they bought it from, didn't. I'm hoping that was the problem in a nutshell, and it doesn't return while I'm on 1.15.