Synaptic Touchpad Drivers not Installing correctly / cant access synaptics touchpad settings

jango0
jango0 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello everyone,

Since this thread got closed (http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series/Synaptic-Touchpad-Drivers-not-Installing-correctly/td-p/277374 with over 7000 views, 33 replies and no solution provided, I'm making a new thread in an effort to find a solution for my and many other peoples problem of not being able to access synaptics touchpad settings.

I have an acer vn7 571G 595Z with windows 8.1 (64 bit). The issue is that I can't access the synaptics touchpad settings to configure stuff. When I open mouse properties, there is no tab with synaptics settings. I have installed synaptics touchpad driver (18.1.22.2_W81x64, from synaptics official site) and it says the installation goes succesfull, but there is still no tab with synaptics touchpad settings showing.

I have also checked if my touchpad is from a different manufacture, but that's not the case. I dont have any ETD ware or ELAN software installed. Also in device manager, under mice and other pointing devices it only shows a HID-compliant mouse. Under Human Interface devices there is Synaptics HID Device (which seems to be the touchpad?).

In the last thread some people pointed out that it might have something to do with the 'precision touchpad' which might be blocking access to synaptics settings and only allowing users to acces the windows touchpad settings. 

Has anybody got a solution for this? Would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• lustwy
    lustwy Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I had exactly the same issue with windows 10, saying the driver's installation goes perfectly right but still no tab with synaptics settings showing.

In my case, I simply got my touchpad back using Fn+F7. Hope it will help you..

• jango0
    jango0 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply. On my laptop FN + F7 is a button to disable/enable the touchpad. I dont quite understand what you mean with 'got my touchpad back' though. In general my touchpad works fine. I want to change the way scrolling works on my touchpad, but cant access the synaptics settings of the touchpad.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi jango0,

The VN7-591G does have a Precision Touchpad and while the hardware is synaptics, it does not have the level of configurability that you mentioned wanting. Here is a bit more information on how the Precision Touchpad is designed. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/touchpad

Sorry I don't have a better resolutions for you,

Cory