Aspire V17 Nitro Black v17 (VN7-791G) locking up - where to begin troubleshooting?

Options
kusaer
kusaer Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello.

I purchased this laptop in February of 2015 and am unfortunately past the warranty, so before I go down the route of having to pay for a repair, I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot what is happening.

Essentially, every time I boot the laptop, it will freeze/lock up (no error screen, just a hard lock) within 2 minutes of getting to the Windows login screen, if not immediately upon reaching that screen. Only way to reboot is holding down the power button and cycling power. After it reboots, it will sometimes run for a few hours without issue, other times it will freeze again shortly thereafter. Usage doesn't seem to matter - I can be playing video games, just browsing the internet, or not using the laptop at all (I have walked off with nothing running only to return to it being frozen). Again, no error screens/BSOD/etc.

What are some steps I can take to try and remedy this, or at least determine what is causing the crash?

No new software/games/etc have been installed recently or that correlate with the crash.

I have tried the solution presented in this thread (http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Aspire-V17-Nitro-Black-GTX860-video-driver-keeps-crashing/m-p/405912#M7246) however the crash remains.

I have uninstalled any non-necessary software put on the laptop within the last 6 months, long before the behavior began (about a month ago).

After the laptop locks up, within a few minutes the fans will max out their speed. I installed temperature monitoring software and the temps never spike before a crash, nor do they seem unreasonable.

I appreciate any assistance and will be happy to provide any extra details. Thank you.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

1. Do you have the same issue after loading the default settings in the bios utility?
    2. Did you reinstall the chipset driver?
    3. What is the version of bios and Windows?
    France
  • kusaer
    kusaer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you for your response.

1) Yes, I have reset everything to default.

2) Yes, I have tried reinstalling all drivers listed for this model laptop from Acer's product page.

3) BIOS: 1.10 --- Windows 10.0.10586

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

You should have to update the bios before to upgrade Windows:

BIOSAcerUpdate nVidia VBIOS1.115.1 MB2015/03/16Download
    BIOSAcerBIOS1.105.1 MB2015/03/10Download

Only 6 days apart between the versions.

France