Aspire V17 Nitro Black GTX860, video driver keeps crashing / locking up PC

Options
MostHated
MostHated Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello all and good morning,

My laptop keeps either crashing the video driver and windows gives a message saying it was able to recover (rarely does it actually recover), normally it will lock my PC, (mouse would start to drag slowly then just stop) then just locks up completely. I had to set everything to use integrated graphics instead of the Nvidia GPU. I am updated on my  windows updates with Windows 8.1, and when this first started, I was using the latest nvidia drivers, but it began happening so often that I went back 2 driver versions and it was ok for about a week, but then started happening again yesterday. It happended once again this morning, luckily it didnt lock up, but I did get the windows error saying it recovered.

I am on an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition, i7 4710HQ, 16gb ram, GTX860M GPU, driver version 359.06. Anyone have any ideas? The only thing so far I have ever seen in the event viewer in regards to this at all was from this morning, and it was only a warning saying "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." ID #4101. Since I already tried 3 different display drivers I am at a loss for anything else to try. Anyone have similar issues?

Thanks!

Dan

Best Answer

• cryptphoenix
    cryptphoenix Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Nvidia has released a hotfix since 1 month for GTX860 card.I'm suggesting you to stay with this driver until they officialy announce we can move forward.

Here is the hotfix:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/900924/

It includes the latest optimization for AC: Syndicate, Fallout 4 etc.  

Hope that info was useful for you. Please reply

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i suggest you to uninstall that version and install the newer from nvidia website:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/96879

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MostHated
    Options

It looks like it may be more than that, I downloaded "Speed Fan" to look at my temperatures and they are all showing extremely hot. I cleaned out all the fans with canned air, but there was really not much in there. : / 

• cryptphoenix
    cryptphoenix Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Nvidia has released a hotfix since 1 month for GTX860 card.I'm suggesting you to stay with this driver until they officialy announce we can move forward.

Here is the hotfix:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/900924/

It includes the latest optimization for AC: Syndicate, Fallout 4 etc.  

Hope that info was useful for you. Please reply

• MostHated
    Options

Thank you for this! I sure hope it works!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

this hotfix is included on all the newest driver, not need to install that specific one.

I'm not an Acer employee.