Acer Aspire V5-122P BSOD's

tommy2k8
tommy2k8 Member Posts: 23 Networker

I am helping someone providing technical support for an Acer Aspire V5-122P.   He purchased it at the start of 2014, it came with Windows 8, then I updated it to 8.1.  At the end of last year, I upgraded it to Windows 10 (even though the official support page for that model did not list any drivers for Windows 10).  The problems began in February, randomly, the laptop would freeze now and again, mostly while browsing with Firefox and watching videos. 

I did a Refresh in March, and after tried to update the drivers with Driver Booster (as there were no drivers listed for W10.)  The computer wouldn't boot into Windows afterwards, so I did a System Restore in Safe Mode, which restored the system to working order.

I did another Refresh in May, as it was being erratic again, this time I ran a HD Check, which passed, and a did a chkdsk /r.  The file system corrected some errors.

By July, the system still behaved erratically, so in July, I did another chkdsk /r, which corrected system errors.A week later, a BSOD occurred,  DEVICE_DRIVER_NOT_THREADED.  Looking this message up, one of the suggestions was updating the AMD graphics driver.  Because Driver Booster made the system unstable before, I ran the AMD Auto-Detect Utility, and it told me there wasn't an updated driver for Windows 10!

Everything seemed fine when he started using Edge, but then yesterday, I got a call, saying it was going slowly.

The DEVICE_DRIVER_NOT_THREADED BSOD had occurred again, pointing to atikmdag.sys, dxgkrml.sys and ntoskrnl.sys.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, but this did not make any difference.

The stats:

Acer Aspire V5-122P with W8 (upgraded to 10)

4GB RAM

500GB HDD

AMD Radeon HD8210

Any suggestions?

Answers