Does the USB-C port of SF314-51-56Y4 support USB Power Delivery?

kitschkite
kitschkite Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi all,

Just bought this Swift 3 laptop.

No detailed product page to be found, and the manual is rather sparse (except for mostly Windows 10 info that we already have):

"On Acer computers USB Type-C ports support up to USB 3.1 (SuperSpeed USB, 5 Gbps).
Other USB or Thunderbolt devices with a USB Type-C connector are supported, but transfer speed may be reduced and certain functions will be disabled (such as Thunderbolt video support)."

Nothing is said about USB Power Delivery. Or did I miss a reference manual somewhere?

Is it fully compliant with the Power Delivery standard, so that I can charge either laptop or external devices when connecting a proper USB 3.1 Type-C HUB with Power Delivery function? (that itself is connected to a power source)

If no PD-support:

I'm in desparate need of charging at remote locations. With other laptops I have had great success with 19V 6A car chargers, but the Swift 3 has a charger tip of 3mm (hence model name..?), and among several multi-chargers with more than 50 different insertible tips, I cannot find this particular 3mm version!

Suggestions?

Acer original car charger somewhere?

Thanks.

Best,

Olav

Oslo, Norway

Answers

• kitschkite

..Anyone with any Acer model that supports Power Delivery?

I mean, from articles I have found about the USB3.1 and USB-C standards, it looks like also supporting PD is entirely up to the vendor.

The section "USB Type-C information" saying "Delivers up to 3 A at 5 V DC for USB charging", is the only point where the manual is referring to any direction of USB charging. Sad that the marketing department didn't want to be clear about this.

But, has anyone actually tried charging an Acer laptop using USB-C?

Not sure if testing will void warranty.

So I'd better conclude that the Swift 3 SF314-51-56Y4 does not support USB PD, ref http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/.

• kitschkite

Without USB Power Delivery, I'd very much like to know the exact specification of the connection plug from the AC charger, so I can adapt a 3rd party DC charger.

The gauge says 3.0mm outer diameter, but measuring the inner diameter is a bit harder.

Anyone been through this?

• shopper
    shopper Member Posts: 7 New User

Hey, did you check this thread about Swift 3 Type-C charging?  It is possible Acer says.  Sorry I don't know how to hyper link.

.....This model supports USB-C charging via an adapter with these specifications: 19.5V 2.25A. There is an AC adapter available on the Acer store at https://store.acer.com/en-us. Just do a search for USB-C adapter and it should come up for you. It also has a separate power cord as well....

http://community.acer.com/t5/Swift-Spin-S-and-R-Series/Acer-Swift-3-USB-Type-C-Charging/m-p/466460#M6037

• kitschkite

Thanks shopper, you made me re-visit that thread.

This time the suggested search actually gave a valid result, so I can place comficence in the statement.

I'll give it a try and order a USB-C car charger to that spec Smiley Happy

• shopper

No problem.  I'm in the same boat as you but for Swift 5.  It's ridiculous, no documentation on Power Delivery.  I have read so much about Power Delivery stuff on Type-C the past week or so, I feel like I'm studying to be an electrical engineer.  I have looked at various chargers too online and unless there are confirmed users for your exact laptop model, best to avoid unless they have a very good return policy. Innergie Powergear seem to work on various new laptops including some Acer models with the same power rating but no indication on Swift 3.  Plugable USB-C docking station with power delivery is double the money but has multiple ports for home use.  I am looking for a portable one for travel, if Swift 5 Type-C can take in power delivery...

Good luck.

• kitschkite

Thanks for elaborating, shopper.

And within the series ("Swift 3" in my case), I have no idea if a single model (here "SF314-51", I think) will consistently support USB-C charging of the laptop because an other model variant is said to do so.

I shelved an otherwise fine Yoga 3 Pro only because it had a proprietary USB-like charging system not allowing other chargers, hence not from DC.

Apparently, my trigger-finger was too fast this time too Smiley Sad

Instead buying from the pure business series wouldn't help me much.

Just needed to run a couple of technical apps with the highest possible USB3 speed, which is not easily found there.

I would also expect the environment to break a few laptops, so I really did not want to choose the most expensive series unless clear documentation of performance.

By the lack of any documentation I think we can say that these models are not officially supporting being charged by USB-C (PD).

The Norwegian Acer support hasn't even bothered answering me.

And I think the newer USB standards are just to complicated for the marketing guys - thinking USB PD is "someone else's problem".

I have reluctantly ordered an USB-C hub that is said to have proper PD-function. So I just need to order a 19V USB-C charger delivering enough current. Yes, maybe the Innergie to have as a reference.

• shopper

I feel your pain.  This is my 1st Acer and not the best 1st impression with the lack of support and information on their products.  Even here, I see many questions that goes unaswered for days on end and I can imagine the "manpower" would be even lower in other parts of the world.  If Acer wants to move into the top tier laptop maker status, they need do a lot more than simply tout fancy terms and features without anything backing it up.  So many new variants of Type-C and power delivery standards for Acer's newest models and looks like someone throws a dice to decide which line/model gets what part.

We're spending too much time and money to just to see if it works and that's not right in any sense of imagination.  

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Very sorry for the late reply, but let me clarify the specs of the USB-C port for this model. I will also work on posting a faq on this topic on our support site to help others down the road.

SF314-51 USB-C:

• USB 3.1 5gb data transfer
    • Display port adapter support
    • USB type A or C power delivery
    • Charging notebook via OEM USB C adapter (19.5V 2.25A)
  • kitschkite

Thanks Blayn,

But "USB type A or C power delivery"? Type C power delivery, really?

I haven't actually seen usb.org make a limit to USB C for PD, just didn't think it was practical.

Parhaps you meant that the C-port(s) were generally "powered".

Anyway, in the meantime I took a chance and ordered the Targus USB-C 45W DC Car Charger.

Tiny cig-plug, still charges well. USB-PD at work!

Targus was clear on PD-support. Will probably buy their corresponding wall charger as well.

Also for the record: An i-tec USB-C 3 Port HUB w Power Delivery also worked great in between. Clear on PD-support

All three decices seems to negociate power well, all USB-ports working at the same time.

My advice after my involuntary in-depth USB-C/PD study:

If you need USB PD, don't make the mistake of buying an USB-C device "delivering power". The support for USB Power Delivery has to be explicite.

Good luck.

• wayner
    wayner Member Posts: 4 New User

Does anyone have any USB C power chargers to recommend that work with the Swift 3?

Would this device from the Acer store work?

https://store.acer.com/en-us/ak-045ap-080

In terms of regular power adapters that use the small barrel, which will work?  My original Acer adapter is PA-1450-26. It has a very small barrel pin with a black tip.  But nothing comes up when I search the Acer store with that number.

Will this one work?  https://store.acer.com/en-us/ak-045ap-075

How about this one? It has a yellow pin but it is cheaper https://store.acer.com/en-us/ak-065ap-200

• Blayn-Acer

The link for the USB-C adapter in your previous reply is the correct USB-C adapter link. The correct adapter for the DC in port with the small pin is https://store.acer.com/en-us/ak-045ap-075. The input should be 45W instead of 65W.

• wayner

So then the ak-045ap-074 is the same as the PA-1450-26 which is the original adapter which came with my notebook?

• Blayn-Acer

Yes, it will be the same or a comparable part. There are several AC adapter manufacturers we use, so it may not be identical.

• wayner

Is this product sold on Amazon?  The Acer Canada store charges $39.99 for the adapter plus $15 for shipping.  That is a ridiculous shipping charge.

• Blayn-Acer

I don't think you will find an OEM adapter on Amazon. Will you send me a private message so I can help get you an adapter?

• Member Posts: 4 New User

I tried a Maplin (UK) usb-c charger maplin-45w-usb-c-power-supply-n41ee and while it is a PD capable charger (multiple voltages) Unfortunately it only does fixed voltages and the nearest is 20V... tried it with the Swift3 laptop and it will not charge.

I am having some difficulty finding a usb-c charger that is PD capable that is able to give 19.5V it seems a rather odd value when most other manufacturers have opted for 20v.

Has anyone tried any other chargers that are avalible internationally?

Maplin do a 60W capable charger but again the voltage resolution does not permit 19.5V

My understanding of the PD spec is that the client (laptop) will negotiate with the host (PSU) to recieve the voltage it requires. Now either most PD capable PSU manufacturers have broken this spec by only delivering 5, 9, 12 or 20v or Acer has broken the spec. Maybe thats why they opted not to include it as part of the public specification?

Looking at the USB PD spec 1.0 PD_1.0_Introduction.pdf You can see that there are 'profiles' associated with PD. The Presentaiton is a bit out of date now.

After looking at the USB Developer docs (very dry reading let me tell you) www.usb.org/developers/docs/ Section 10 of the USB 3.0 spec on Power Delivery incase anyone wants a headache.

Best i can determine there are 3 types of usb-c PD capable supplies...

1) Fixed voltage supplies (currently most of the market share) 5v, 9v, 15v, 20v at perscribed ampages

2) Fixed voltages supplies with optional voltages such as 19.5v (suspect very rare and bundled with devices)

3) Programmable voltage supplies, capable of incremental voltage steps that can allow voltages with a minamum and maximum range like max20v min3v (currently no market share or else imporperly advertised)

So without having the official acer usb-c charger in my paws i can only conclude its most likely a number 2, though possibly a number 3.

Again if anyone spots an adapter that works with the swift3, speak up! we need adapters!

• Blayn-Acer

I looked at some of the USB-C adapters we have, and many handle 5v, 12v, and 20v. Although I have seen some adapters that list 19.5v as the output range, the 20v adapter should work fine. With that said, Acer only recommends using OEM power adapters, so ordering a USB-C adapter from your local Acer support channel is recommended.

The Maplin brand one i tried listed 20V as one of the outputs, but i got no action on the battery icon.

If you could list the adapters that Acer has avalible that are USB-C and avalible to the EU market that would be great. i've not had luck finding any. Or if Acer wants some guinee pigs to test our new USB-C chargers i'm always avalible ;-)

• Blayn-Acer

You can try looking for these part numbers. They should work.

KP.04501.007Smiley LOL

KP.04501.011

KP.04503.005

KP.0450H.005

Sorry, but we have official testing channels, so don't have any guinee pig adapters to send.