Acer R14 R3-471 drivers

Options
Davesine
Davesine Member Posts: 8 New User

Hello,

I have turned back GPT and fully erased all the data from the UEFI partition, as well as drivers. Very folly, I know. Although I have back uped all the drivers - they've been lost.

I have now some very sadly difficulties, which killing the using of the tablet mode:

1. Keyboard doesn't switch off after rotating.

2. Touchpad doesn't work. At all. No response.

3. There are 4 unkonwn devices in the Device manager without drivers.

4. Screen doesn't rorating as well.

Please, someone, who has the same model, could you make and full backup of the drivers from the system, with Double Driver or Acer eRecovery, doesn't matter and send to me? I have tried all the drivers and programs from the Acer Homepage and other pages as well. Nothing helps.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Yaroslav

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Davesine
    Options

As I have written: "I have tried all the drivers and programs from the Acer Homepage and other pages as well. Nothing helps."

I really have tried ALL OF THEM.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

OK lets start with what OS do you have and what is running (Win 10 ?). When you open Device Manager do you see any warnings (like a yellow triangle with a !) ? What for ? Screen shot may help.

The problem with posting files is that a full image for an "R" is liable to be 50GB or more. (Why I suggest making one immediately on receipt).

• Davesine
    Options

Windows 8.1

Legacy BIOS, loaded from MBR.

4 undefined devices, IDs:

1. First:
    ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_3432&REV_0003
    ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_3432
    ACPI\INT3432
    *INT3432
    2. Second:
    ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_33D6
    ACPI\INT33D6
    *INT33D6
    3. Third (as the first one):
    ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_3433&REV_0003
    ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_3433
    ACPI\INT3433
    *INT3433
    4. PCI-controller Simple Communications
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CBA&SUBSYS_089B1025&REV_03
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CBA&SUBSYS_089B1025
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CBA&CC_078000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CBA&CC_0780

• Davesine
    Options

thank you for the answer!

I'm one of these old bios conservatives. Do you think this could be a solution?

Could you give me any link or advice how to bring back UEFI and install Windows from the usb? Or what sequence should be?

• padgett
    Options

OK, like I tell everyone, first create a recovery flash drive (my R14 with Win 10 needed a 16GB flash but for 8.1 an 8GB may work.

Second create a system image backup - this may require an external hard drive formatted NTFS with about 50GB free.

Once you have these I'd update the system to Windows 10 (free upgrade) and see if the drivers you need are loaded along with it. The current 10586 version is very stable & I find it a lot better than 8.1.

The problems you list seem mainly ACPI related. Have you tried updating from the Internet ? If fails you might try updating from the disk and point to C:\ProgramFiles (& subdirectories)

ps I am running Win 10 UEFI on modern machines and Legacy on two towers. NP from there.

• Davesine
    Options

Alright. I'll try.

But how to change back to UEFI from Legacy BIOS?

• IronFly
    Options

UEFI can solve most of your issues for sure.

Do you have a windows 8.1 installation USB media?

or

you can try to do a fresh windows 10 install, using microsoft download tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

once done the USB media, plug the USB, boot to BIOS pressing F2 and set UEFI back, check also to have F12 boot menu enabled, press F10 to save and exit

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27044/~/changing-bios-mode-from-uefi-to-legacy

at boot press F12 and choose your USB flash drive, then install windows as always.

• padgett
    Options

I would not bother changing back & would not try at all without pulling an image first since change could damage the current install & would depend on the signatures in the library. Might not boot at all.

• Davesine
    Options

thank you! I'll try this step by step Smiley Happy

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I agree that you should keep BIOS in UEFI default (don't use legacy mode). Go to BIOS settings and load defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).

There's two versions of the R3-471T.  The Haswell version and the Broadwell version.

Which version do you have (what CPU do you have)?

If you still have trouble let us know.  I can give you some more driver tips.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MP4AA.007

http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-r3-471t-54t1-14-core-i5-4210u-windows-8-1-64-bit-6-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd/specs/

• padgett
    Options

Sounds like he is already in Legacy mode. That said, UEFI is mainly a security feature to make sure you load what you expect to & uses look-ahead cryptographic signatures to do so. In Legacy it just ignores the signatures. If UEFI vs Legacy can affect the dirvers (keyboard, tuchpad) that would be a new one on me and would like to know how (Ignorance is curable).

In other words, if it boots at all then is is probably not a UEFI problem though it could prevent booting.

• JordanB
    Options

Here's Windows 8.1 if you want to install it first and then get Windows 8.1 drivers from Acer website.....and then upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows update.   If you have Haswell version, you may need to take that route.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• Davesine
    Options

I have completely reinstalled the system und turned the UEFI off. It boots now approx 12 seconds, like an old Acer.

I have also lost my preinstalled Windows key, because I didn't know that it is saved in the UEFI.

Full model name: Acer R14 R3-471TG 555B, with Intel i5 5200 and 4gb Ram.

I will upgrade to Windows 10 only if it helps to find the drivers for Touchpad and Keyboard (which from my point of view sounds somehow ridiculous), and then come back to Windows 8.1.

Could you also explain, how UEFI can affect the drivers? Thank you for the help.

• JordanB
    Options

Hey Davesine,

If you change your mind and want to install Windows 10, or Windows 8.1, or Linux in the default UEFI mode, or retrieve your key, let me know and I will help you.  I assume you're stuck in legacy which is a common problem on this forum.  People get stuck all the time in legacy and don't know how to get out of the mess.

Your Intel Broadwell i5 5200 should run great on any of the operating systems in UEFI mode!

Ironfly or I can tell you how to use RUFUS to get unstuck and create a USB installation media from the iso.

Of course you always have the option to purchase your recovery media from the Acer Store. Smiley Happy

• Davesine
    Options

Thank you.

Do you have any step by step instruction? As I understand, with UEFI is not possible to install the Windows from the USB, or not?

The laptop has no optical drive as well.

How much will cost the Recovery Media for this laptop? And where I can purchase it in Germany? How does it works? Does it restore UEFI and GPT as well?

Thanks in advance.

• JordanB
    Options

Davesine,

I'm not sure how much it costs in Germany.  I'm pretty sure you'd need to call or email Acer-Germany to get your factory default recovery media.  They will probably need your serial number or SNID, which can be found in your BIOS settings.  To access your BIOS settings, you press F2 at the Acer screen when you restart your computer.  Tell them your model doesn't have an optical drive so that they send you a USB drive for recovery.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

I would definitely recommend that you go ahead and bite the bullet and order your recovery media from Acer since you are a novice user.

Clean installing with RUFUS is usually ok for intermediate to advanced users.

OS installation instructions for UEFI/GPT with RUFUS can easily found with a simple google search and even on youtube, but since you are a novice user, I will give you step-by-step. Smiley Happy

1.  Download RUFUS

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

2.  Download your Windows iso (see links in this thread that were previously posted)

3. Make sure RUFUS is set to format your USB flash drive as FAT32 and make sure RUFUS is set to UEFI/GPT

rufusuefigpt.PNG

4.  Burn the iso to your USB flash drive with rufus

5.  Backup your important personal files on your computer

6.  Go in to your BIOS settings and press F9 to load BIOS defaults and F10 to save/exit

6b.  (optional step which may not be necessary....restart your computer and go back in to BIOS settings and enable the "F12-Boot Menu" and then save/exit F10)

7. Install windows (select custom install and delete all partitions.....and then click next.  After you click next, the windows installer will automatically partition and format your HDD and install windows).  Then get your drivers from Acer downloads.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

8.  If you have trouble, let me know and I'll show you how to troubleshoot by wiping your drive with diskpart clean so you can get a true fresh start.

• IronFly
    Options

padgett wrote:

If UEFI vs Legacy can affect the dirvers (keyboard, tuchpad) that would be a new one on me and would like to know how (Ignorance is curable).

i thought the same but....i read other threads where users had issues on touchpads and video corruption using Legacy mode, this confirmed also by some Acer tech.

• JordanB
    Options

I hope they get rid of Legacy mode within the next two years.  There's still millions of Windows xp, Windows vista, and Windows 7 computers with root kits that are part of botnets that do nothing but help ruin the internet with Denial-of-service attacks.

http://www.digitalattackmap.com/#anim=1&color=0&country=ALL&list=0&time=16825&view=map