Aspire R7-571 won't completely shut down on Windows 10

DennisSibb
DennisSibb Member Posts: 11 New User

Shutdown appears to proceed as normal, but the keyboard still remains lit with the screen black and the blue "power on" LED remains lit until I hold down the power button to do a hard power off.

I have left this go overnight to see it this is just slow, but it will hang like this all night.

This issue started after I installed WIndows 10, was rarely an issue on WIndows 8 or 8.1.

I noticed there are no driver updates for Windows 10 issued.  Are there any drivers up and coming to resolve this in the future?

Anyone else having this issue?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

ok, try this.

press windows key logo + r

select power options

on the left side click on choose what the power button do

click on change settings that are currently unavailable

untick turn on fast startup

click on save changes

try to shudown your system as always.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

can you please try this?

type

shutdown /s /t 0

press enter

report if it shutdowns completly.

• DennisSibb

Yes, it did.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

ok, try this.

select power options

on the left side click on choose what the power button do

click on change settings that are currently unavailable

untick turn on fast startup

click on save changes

try to shudown your system as always.

• DennisSibb

Excellant, thank you!

I had seen that setting there before, but could never figure out how to uncheck it.

Thanks for your help!

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• amihere
    amihere Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, my Acer aspire V-573G has the same symptoms mentioned above - when shutting down or trying to sleep the laptop it won't do it completely - it's possible to switch on/off keyboard backlight, the GPU fan is still running but HDD looks switched off and CPU too... Strange behavior.

I tried to run "shutdown /s /t 0" command and the laptop did not shut down completely. What else?

• DennisSibb

I have had a fun weekend.  I followed some bad advice end of last week and killed my laptop. Luckily I had made backups of everything important.

Since I had to do a restore anyway, I used the opportunity to do a clean restore and I let Windows 10 clean off my C: drive and do a clean install.

Ever since then I have not had this issue once!

When I originally upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I told the installer to keep my files and applications.  Did you do something similar?

You might want to consider taking some time to backing everything else you can think of (plus downloading all the installers/drivers for any printers, devices plus any applications you want to reinstall later) and then doing a clean install of Windows 10.

It's a pain, but in the long run it might save you some grief.  but MAKE SURE TO BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP EVERYTHING before you do this.  Oh and make sure you make backups of everything, too.  (It's that important to make backups.)

Good luck.

• amihere
    amihere Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I'm not in situation I could make clear install now.

But yesterday I found a solution working for me - I needed to downgrade Intel Management Interface driver from the newest version to 9.x version.

More in THIS POST (message 3/4).

• zolono
    zolono Member Posts: 6 New User

hello.

Windows 10 acer spire r7 571 -shutdown issues after upgrading to Windows 10

nothing helps, not disabled fast starting, changing  Intel Management Interface driver from the newest version to 9.x version also not help Smiley Sad