Notebooks & Netbooks

Topic

Contributing Member
scolburn
Accepted Solution

Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter

Hi,

I am having trouble keeping my brand-new Acer Aspire 5600U online.  The WNA keeps going off, frequently.  I know it's not my router, since I never had this problem with the old computer!  Is this a known problem with the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 ANA, and if so, has anyone come up with a fix for it?  I have saved a hard copy of the diagnostic info from the last time I got knocked offline, and

Contributing Member
DrkBluePenguin

Re: Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter

I have the same card in my V3-771G and I feel ya. Out of the box I had the disconect issues. Updating the bios and wireless driver fixed this issue. But this also brings on a new set of problems if you use bluetooth and thats where I'm at. I''ve sent the laptop back a few times and nothing fixes it. 

If you want to read about my issues you can find it here. http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Need-some-tech-savvy-people-to-help-me-with-my-probl...

Contributing Member
scolburn

[ Edited ]

Yep, the suggested fixes are no fixes.  I also contacted Qualcomm's Atheros Division, and they replied that it is Acer's responsibility to provide the necessary drivers--they can't help, they just sell the components to the OEM's, who modify them to work with their products.  Another dead end.  That's a shame that the WNA is in your laptop, at least with my AIO, not being portable, I can direct-connect to my router.

I have had success tethering my tablet to my cell phone's internet connection, using a bluetooth connection.  That's how I get online when traveling by car, when I want to read and am riding shotgun.  Maybe that approach would work for getting a reliable connection on the latop, although I know that some CP providers block tethering, and the connection is rather slow on my 4G LTE Droid.  So far the best solution I've seen is buying an external WNA (USB Dongle).  I don't know what the speed or quality of that connection would be, never having used one.  I'd look for a USB 2.0-3.0 model, hopefully with dual 2.4 & 5.0 bands.

I feel your pain!  Your experiences with trying to work it out have saved me from jumping through hoops that didn't need to be jumped through, only to return to the same place you started.  As an Senior Analyst, I learned over the years, working with various I.T. staff, how to spot a  "solution", and keep asking for "another/better choice."  Acer can lick this, they just need more motivation:-)

ACE Pioneer
padgett

Did you try opening Control Panel>Device Management>Network adapers then right click on the Qualcom adapter, select properties>power manaugement and uncheck everything ?

Luggable, 1983
My first PC
ob note: Kudos and Solutions
Appreciated if Warranted.
Notary Sojack Y'all
Contributing Member
scolburn

[ Edited ]

Yes, that seems to have fixed the issue for my desktop All-in-One Aspire 5600U.  The setting in Windows 8 is:

Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager>Network Adapters.

Then choose Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Adapter and

Uncheck the box labelled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

I have tested that setting for the past few days and have not gone offline once.

it's a shame that a lot of unnecessary fixes are being offered, that don't solve the problem,

and that Acer support does not advise customers to do that, before they try something more drastic.

If I had followed their instructions, I would have ended up paying to ship it to Acer for repair,

and who knows what I would have gotten back, since their technical support doesn't seem to be aware of this!

Turning in a brand-new computer for someone else's reconditioned computer is never going to be a good solution, to me.

Nor is having to pay for shipping to fix a computer that should work, out of the box.  Very disappointed in Acer support.  I doubt that I would buy my next computer from them, now that I know about the quality of their technical support and customer service.

This solution seems to work fine for a desktop, but not so well for a portable computer.  So much for efficient energy management!

Thanks for the suggestion, at long last something that worked!

Visitor
ewern

Padgett,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I just got a new (refurbished) Acer laptop. Had issues with it playing and downloading videos. Buffering didn't seem to work, and downloading the file kept failing. I found this link and unchecking the power saving box in the network adapter property box (and rebooting) did the trick.
I didn't contact Acer support. It seems they need to add this solution to their knowledgebase. Better yet, they should amend their Windows installation script. They can save a lot of returns and have happier customers.

Frequent Contributor
n2gc

[ Edited ]

If any should need a real Acer driver for the WIFI card, here ya go.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.217.v3_W...

Another option is to get rid of the Athreos and go with either an

Intel 5300 card or 4695 WIFI card. Drivers are avail and I have

both if any should decide to go this route. I run the 5300 in my

7520 and the 4695 in my 5315. I t just depends if you have the

long card or mini card. Now this suggestion is for W7 OS. I

don't know if W8 will affect the drivers for the intel cards

as I don't run W8, but may try these drivers on another lappy

I'm working on and will load W8 just to see what works and

what doesn't regarding aftermarket drivers and cards.

Visitor
Zermanz

I have tried so many times, and nothing has happened. I am so tired of this. I payed 1300 £ for my acer g, and I can't even connect to wireless netwroks. I can only use ethernet and my routher/ broadband have problem with ethernet connection. I hate this! Never an acer again! I am in the end of my tether, and done everything I can

Contributing Member
MrRatio

[ Edited ]

I have this same problem on my Acer Aspire One 725.

Never Acer again :smileysad:

//Update

Probably I fixed this issue. This problem I have on driver 10.0.0.251 from 27 may 2013.

I found new drivers: 10.0.0.255 from 02 July 2013. In this version I do not have this issue all day.

Download: http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=74&system=5

Regular Visitor
speirss

Aspire V5-431P with Atheros AR5BWB222

I did a complete refresh and re-install with upgrade to Windows 8.1. Followed this by disabling the BT and uninstalling WLAN driver. Then upgraded to the latest .263 driver for the WLAN. Disabled the auto power off setting. 

The good news is that it seems to have eliminated the internet dropping issue, the bad news is that it is only when I am sitting within 10 feet of the router. If I go upstairs the network connetion remains strong but alas the internet is dropped. I am now officiallly stumped. Anyone got any suggestions? 

by the way this problem did not occur while running 8.0 and had progressively gotten worse over time after upgrading to 8.1 to the point where wireless connetion to the internet was useless.

PS. nothing wrong with the router, it works perfectly with all my other devices.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Acer is proud to announce the promotion of Philetus to the ACE team. Philetus has been a member since March 2013 and has shown the skills and patience required to be a member of this exclusive, invite only team of experts. Congratulations Philetus!

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: