Acer Aspire 5334 video driver problem

Options
LarrryG
LarrryG Member Posts: 3 New User

My kid's Acer Aspire 5443 was working well for years, then she "cleaned things up" or ran Windows update & the problems started with video.  I could not resolve Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit crashing.  The best I get after system reload to factory default, basic VGA.  As soon as updates are detected and applied to the Display adapters, it flashes to black /distorted screen when Windows opens, then locks up, usually with a message that the adapter detected an issue & recovered- everything frozen.  Device manager shows two instances of the Mobile Intel (R) 45 express Chipset Family MS Corp- WDDM 1.1.

I have updated the bios to v1.06 & vga bios to v1800, ran Windows Update, tried to find/load Intel GMA 4500M drivers, install intel chipset updates, all to the same effect- it locks.  I delete one instance of the device, same thing.  The only thing I can do so far is to disable the Display adapters.  The latest driver at Acer do not fix it either.  Wazzup with that?

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,083 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

Have you tried to connect your laptop to an external monitor or a LCD TV in using the VGA or HDMI port?

[Fn]+[F5] - Display toggle: Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.

France
  • laurent_14
    Answer ✓
    Options

Have you tried to install this driver (Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family):

Intel GMA driver

France
  • LarrryG
    Options

I have not used an external, it only detects the primary, but can't identify it in VGA mode (Default Monitor on).  I did install the Intel GMA driver- v 8.15.10.2869, no diference, still freezes on initial Windows desktop load.

• LarrryG
    Options

What the heck, I load the exact same GMA driver I loaded before & it worked!  I surmise that there was some sort of conflict with another update.  The only difference I made was to disable the Windows Update optional update when running Windows Update util.Smiley Happy

• laurent_14
    Options

1- Uninstall the actual display driver.

2- The machine will reboot and pass in VGA mode.

3- Install the Intel driver indicated in my previous reply (Intel website).

Note:

The chipset is a Mobile Intel GL40 Express.

France
  • laurent_14
    Options

Personally I disable automatic windows update.

France