Problem with flashing my acer aspire 7745G.

thierry67
thierry67 Member Posts: 3 New User

During the flash process under windows with ZIB_115_win.exe, my notebook turned off.

When I try to start it again, the power LED flahed brievly and the fan turned on/off. that's all. I think I need to flash the bios again with an USB flashdrive, but I can not find any flashutility nore BIOS rom on the acer Homepage. Can someone help me ?

Thank you

Best Answer

• thierry67
    Answer ✓

Hello Jack,

I didn't find any jumper near the Memory banks nore anywhere else.

So I dismount the Laptop as shown on youtube. After removing all the screws and dismounting the keyboard I finally reached the RTC Battery. 2 Buttons near the battery SW2 and SW3. I tried everything, remove the battery, used the 2 buttons (one after the other, both together, ...), with battery, without battery. Nothing worked. The laptop Switch on,  flashed briefly and the Fan started and stopped again.   

At the end, I found the Laptop PDF handbook. I tried to make the Bios recovery procedure to boot in "crisis" mode as explained.  Nothing woked. Even if it had worked fine, I couldn'd find any Rom File by Acer to flash it again. 

So I think I'm to stupid to handel with Acer Notebooks and will send it Back to Acer (to recycle it :-) and close the post.   

Thank everybody for your help and greatings from a little sad and disgusted frenchmen.    

Thierry.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

First, open your memory module compartment to see if you can find bios reset pins or solder bumps that you can short to try to re-set the bios to factory default. The pins should be located somewhere around the periphery of the memory modules. You shouldn't have to remove the modules to access them. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• thierry67

Hello Jack,

thank you for your answer. I'm on a journey this week but I will try it this week-end and report back.

Thierry

• aaster23
    aaster23 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

thierry67 get a flash drive, format it in FAT32 and upload the BIOS.
    Open the laptop, remove all the SATA drives (HDD, CD/DVD), insert the flash drive and the BIOS should flash.
    Do not connect any other USB and etc. It must be just the laptop, the charger and the USB with the BIOS.

• thierry67
    Answer ✓

Hello Jack,

I didn't find any jumper near the Memory banks nore anywhere else.

So I dismount the Laptop as shown on youtube. After removing all the screws and dismounting the keyboard I finally reached the RTC Battery. 2 Buttons near the battery SW2 and SW3. I tried everything, remove the battery, used the 2 buttons (one after the other, both together, ...), with battery, without battery. Nothing worked. The laptop Switch on,  flashed briefly and the Fan started and stopped again.   

At the end, I found the Laptop PDF handbook. I tried to make the Bios recovery procedure to boot in "crisis" mode as explained.  Nothing woked. Even if it had worked fine, I couldn'd find any Rom File by Acer to flash it again. 

So I think I'm to stupid to handel with Acer Notebooks and will send it Back to Acer (to recycle it :-) and close the post.   

Thank everybody for your help and greatings from a little sad and disgusted frenchmen.    

Thierry.

• JackE

Sorry this didn't work out for you Thierry. If you still want to try to flash the bios you can download the firmware from this link.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Choose notebook. Then Aspire. Then choose your 7745G model with Win7. Click on the bios firmware tab and download the latest 1.15 version.

Good luck

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brickroad
    brickroad Member Posts: 9 New User

I've bricked my old 7445G attempting to install BIOS verion 1.15. On boot I see a brief splash screen that syas "Press F2 to enter setup" but the machine immediately posers down.

So I've found the "crisis disk", but all instructions contain something like this: "From the archives of the BIOS, the extract itself BIOS file. It takes about 512kb, 1Mb or 2Mb and has the extension .WPH, .ROM, .BIN, .FD or perhaps both."

Sadly, all downloads contain nothing except executable files. Presumably the BIOS image is embedded in there somewhere, but there's no information on how I might extract that image into one of the desired extensions.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the BIOS files?

• JackE

brickroad>>>I've bricked my old 7445G attempting to install BIOS verion 1.15. >>>

What flash method did you use? Do you recall the original bios version? What issue were you trying to address with the 1.15 version?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brickroad

Hi Jack,

Thanks for replying. I downloaded BIOS_Acer_1.15_A_A.zip from the Acer support site. That unpacked to a Windows directory that contained ZYB_115_Win.exe. I ran that, which seems to pe a Phoenix utility. It said it successfully verified the image was right, then installed and tested something like 37 "segments" (counting down). Then it rebooted the system, which resulted in the brief splash screen and power down state I now find myself stuck with. My guess is that the BIOS image is embedded in the executable. I've torn the exe apart with 7zip but ursurprisingly there's nothing that resembles what I'm looking for.

I went for the BIOS update because I'd managed to get Windows 10 running on the system, up until the wonderful [cough] Anniversary update. This update failed on one of the boot phases, restores to the previous version, which then sees the Anniversary update, which fails on one of the boot phases... this pretty mich renders the system useless so I tried a Windows reinstall, which also failed. So I figured maybe there was some low level issue that might be fixed by updating drivers and the BIOS. That's worked for me over many years and this is the first time I've managed to render something inoperable... I'm not keen on giving up now!

• JackE

Check to see if the unzipped bios file also yielded a DOS directory with a batch file. If it exists, what's in the batch file? Also might be a readme file.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• brickroad

Alas, no joy. It's a DOS-era executable. 7Zip can't do anything with it. No batch file, nothing that looks like a BIOS image.

• JackE

OK. What are the filenames & extensions in the DOS directory?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brickroad

There is a single file, ZYB_114.exe. In grand total, unzipping the download yeilds a readme, a DOS directory, and a Windows directory. Each of those contains a single executable. There are just these three files in the download. I've gone back to the earliest available BIOS, 1.05, and it is structured the same way except that the executables are named ZYB_105, as expected.

This is how I've wound up here... I'm unable to find a BIOS image to put on the Crisis disk. I also have an issue with the crisis disk bulder... the version I have that runs expects "removable media" to be a floppy drive. The version after that throws errors on startup and aborts -- likely a Win 10 conflict[*]. I've mapped my stick to drive A on another machine, I hope the idea of a 8GB floppy doesn't throw it off...

* Just realized I should try running it in a compatibility mode, if I ever get a BIOS image...

• JackE

What's in readme?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brickroad

I'm sure you'll find this as amusing as I did. The entire contents of the readme file are:

'Windows flash: Please click "ZYB_105_Win.exe" to update bios.'

Is that infomative or what?

• JackE

Not 100% sure, but the DOS executable may be a self-extracting file that'll yield the bios file to be used with the stick and the fn+esc bootflash process.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• brickroad

No such luck. It returns "Unsupported 16 bit application". It might run under XP... but i don't have such a beast available any more.

• JackE

You could try running in in Win95 or 98 compatibility mode.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brickroad

Alas, no joy. After doing a little digging, it seems the 64 bit edition of windows (which I'm running on this machine) doesn't even have the WOW16 libraries.

So I tried being clever and ran it in DOSbox (www.dosbox.com). It made some invalid reads, likely to an existing BIOS signature, then emitted several thousands of dots while creating a file PHLASH16.EXE. When the size of that file cleared 25GB, I aborted it. Nothing in DOS got bigger than 2GB...

This does suggest that you might be onto something, that ZYB_114.exe contains the images with some sort of proprietary compression algorithm. But I'm still a little stuck.

• JackE

>>>ZYB_114.exe>>>

Are you sure you downloaded the 1.15 bios update package and not the 1.14?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brickroad

I have them all downloaded. I figure that since 1.15 is what bricked the system (after all it verified everything and called it OK before going to reboot), I was looking to take one step back with the intention of repeating a step back until I got it to boot or got to 1.05. If I can't get 1.05 to run then I'll throw in the towel.