Aspire V5-552P touchscreen stopped working

dcny6923
dcny6923 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi Folks, 

I have run into an issue with my Acer laptop which is leaving me really frusrated. For some reason one morning my touch screen stopped working. There has been no damage to my screen at all. 

I have concted Acer Technical Support which in usual fashion were of completely NO help. Before I got in touch with Acer Technical Support I tried:

• Refreshing the HID Monitor drivers 
  • Removing/Reinstalling the HID Monitor drivers

Both of these were unsucessful, according to Device Manager, the HID monitor is working just fine. Upon calling Acer Technical Support their suggestion was to reinstall Windows because the tech though that it was an software issue. 

I just reinstalled Windows are still have the same issue. Device Manager shows that the hardware is fine and functional from a driver standpoint. 

I've also tied ensuring that the cable behind the monitor is in tact as in this post: http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-M5-481PT-touch-screen-stopped-working/td-p/69149/page/2

Thus far nothing has worked. Are there any other suggestions which can be helpful here?

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

You can try the following steps:

Configure the touch display:
    1. Go to Windows Start screen and type Tablet PC Settings.
    2. In the Search charm that comes up, go to "Tablet PC Settings".
    3. On the "Display" tab of Tablet PC Settings, click "Setup".
    4. Follow on-screen instructions to identify your screen as touch screen.
    5. Tap the screen to check if it responds. If not, follow the steps in the section below.

Check if the Touch Screen device is detected:
    1. Press the Windows + X keys.
    2. Select System from the menu that appears.
    3. Locate "Pen and Touch" and make sure that it says "Full Windows Touch Support".
    4. If there is a message under "Pen and Touch" saying that the touch screen is not available, there might be some hardware issue. In this case, it is recommended to visit nearest Acer service center. To do this, the following link can be useful:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Hope this will help you.

• dcny6923

Hello GuruAid-CS, 

Thank you so much for your reply, I have followed your instructions and here are the results:

Configure the touch display:

• Display shows as "1. Mobile PC Display" and it's details are "Full Windows Touch Support"
    • I try to Calibrate it and the touch screen does not respond so I have to exit out of this. 

Check if the Touch Screen device is detected:

• The Systems screen detects "Full Windows Touch Support with 10 Touch Points"

Are there any other steps which I can try to get this touch screen working? Thank you in advance

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

As the issue still persists, you can consider reinstalling VGA drivers and see if that resolves the issue. To reinstall VGA drivers, you can follow the steps below:
    1. Go to http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    2. Type Aspire V5-552P in the box below "Search by Product Model" and click "Search".
    3. Click on your model number from the list that comes up.
    4. Once the details about your model are displayed, select your current operating system appropriately from the drop-down menu besides "Operating System".
    5. Now, click on "Driver" tab and locate VGA driver. Click "Download" and follow on-screen instructions to install the latest drivers in your computer.

If the issue still persists, you need to visit nearest Acer service center for further assistance. To do this, the following link can be helpful:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• dcny6923

Hello GuruAid-CS, 

Thank you very much for providing me some troubleshooting tips. Unfortuntely after installing/re-installing the VGA drivers, and restarting the computer, the touch screen does not work, but Windows sees it as a fully functional touch screen. 

Unfortuntely my computer is 1 year and 1 months old so I am out of warranty. 

I am deeply dissapointed with the quality of this product, and the quality of service offered by Acer's technical support department (both Tier1 and Tier2). I bought my parents an Acer touch screen the year before which is up and running just fine. It looks like Acer's quality of products have taken a big dip. I will now proudly not buy or recommend any Acer products from now on.