Acer Aspire M5-581T Boot Configuration Data file missing

Cdemease
Cdemease Member Posts: 13 New User
I keep getting a blue screen titled Recovery whenever I turn my computer on. It also says BCD error code 0xc000000d. It gives me the option to press escape for UEFI Firmware Settings and I don't know what that is but nothing happens when I press escape.
This error showed up randomly today. I haven't deleted anything on my computer or anything since the last time it worked. I turned the laptop on this morning and it worked but it's said that I didn't have any wifi connections available, which it does sometimes, so I turned it off and back on as I usually do, but this time, the blue screen came on. No discs came with the laptop aside from blank m-disks and I don't have a windows 8 installation disk since windows 8 came installed on the laptop already. I called windows and they said they couldn't do anything to help me. Most fixes that I have seen require the windows 8 installation disc. Please help asap. I'm in the middle of a winter class session and don't have access to another computer. I also can not afford to take it anywhere to be fixed. There must be some type of fix since I haven't done anything unusual to my computer.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Bootsector viruses and other malware that targets the bootloader or the booting chain can cause errors in the bootloader settings and state that result in an infinite loop of Startup Repair. The virus may then block Startup Repair from either launching or carrying out its repairs successfully. A failed Windows Update or Automatic Update can also sometimes leave the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) in an inconsistent or non-working state.

You may try to reset BIOS to default settings.

Please tap the F2 key as soon as you restart the computer since windows 8 loads too fast.

Press the F9 key and then select "Yes" to load default and save the configuration.
    Then press the F10 key and select "Yes" to save the changes in BIOS.

The computer would restart automatically.

During the system recovery process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten.

Please restart the computer.

When the Acer logo appears on the screen (As soon as computer powers on), press and hold the the left Alt key  and tap the F10 key. 

Select Keyboard Layout (United States English). Please select Troubleshoot in Advance Options to choose Reset

If you have a unit from US or Canada, you may also live chat with an Acer technician at : Acer live chat

If you have purchased the computer in any other country, you may contact Acer support here : Acer Global Support

• Cdemease
    I've tried several times but the Alt+F10 step does nothing. The blue screen just comes up displaying the error again.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

press F2 at boot to enter BIOS, check if D2D is enabled, enable it, then press F10 save and exit.

at boot press ALT+F10

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Cdemease
    I'm not sure what D2D is but nothing that I would recognize as D2D shows up when I open BIOS.
  • IronFly
  • Cdemease
    I'm in the middle of online classes and can't afford to lose all of my data. There is no way to backup anything since I can't access anything on my computer.
  • Cdemease
    Also, there is still no D2D option.
  • IronFly

Ok, probably the HDD is having some issues.

let's try first to fix the BCD error:

I would suggest you to rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) from Command prompt and check if that helps.

1. Insert the Windows 8.x installation/recovery media and boot the computer using the disc.
    if you don't have a installation/recovery media:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Note: You need to check the computer manual on how to set CD/DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS.

2. Once you boot using the Windows installation disc, on the Windows 8.x installation window, click on Repair your computer.

3. Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. First thing you may try is the Automatic Repair. If that does not help, go for System restore. If that works fine, then create a system restore point so that next time you encounter any problems you may always restore the computer to the recent system restore point created.

4. If that does not help, then select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Once the command completes, restart the computer.

• Cdemease
    I tried that using an installation media disc that I made on a different computer from the windows website, but after the bootrec/rebuildbcd, I get an error when I answer yes. It says "The requested system device cannot be found".
  • IronFly

Try this:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/#bootrec_RebuildBcd_doesn8217t_work

If bootrec /RebuildBcd does not fix the error, you can also try to completely rebuild the BCD. TO do so, you need to run these steps:

1. Type this command:
      bcdedit /export C:\BCDBackup
    2. Type c:, where c: is where your Windows is installed
    3. Type cd boot
    4. Type this command:
      attrib bcd -s -h -r
    5. Type this command:
      ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    6. Type this command:
      bootrec /RebuildBcd
  • Cdemease
    After typing bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup into the command prompt, it says "the store export operation has failed. The requested system device cannot be found."
  • IronFly

from command prompt type

diskpart

select disk 0

list volume

please report here the list

• Cdemease
    Volume 0 ltr D Label ESD-ISO Fs UDF Type DVD-rom
    Volume 1 ltr C Label Acer Fs NTFS Type Partition

I think that may be all you need to see. I'm not sure.
  • IronFly

mmm

nope

on diskpart type

list disk

take note of the HDD disk number

then type

select disk x

(x is the number of your HDD)

then type

list volume

please report

• Cdemease
    I'm not sure what hdd disk number is.
    It just says:
    *Disk 0 online Size:465GB Free:0B
    Disk 1 Online Size:18GB Free:1024KB
  • IronFly

select disk 0

then type

list volume

please report

• Cdemease
    Volume 0 D ESD-ISO UDF DVD-ROM 3277 MB Healthy
    Volume 1 C Acer NTFS Partition 444 GB Healthy
    Volume 2 No letter Recovery NTFS Partition 400 MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 3 No letter ESP FAT32 Partition 300 MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 4 No letter No Label NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 5 No letter Push Button NTFS Partition 20 GB Healthy Hidden
  • IronFly

now on diskpart type

sel volume 1 

then type

online volume

then type

automount

then type

exit

try to boot from your HDD, if still not working, try again with BCD commands; if it still not work.....something messed up HDD partitions and Acer erecovery can't find recovery.

"push button" labeled partition is the default Acer recovery but the name is wrong.

• Cdemease
    Still the same issues with the bootrec commands and such.
  • IronFly

press F2 at boot to enter BIOS,

please report the boot priority list