reinstalling windows 7 home premium with recovery cd-with different hard drive than original install

edwardstone
edwardstone Member Posts: 5 New User

SX2802-03 Gateway  purchased from costco. system came installed with WDEADS 1.0TB  SATA / 32MB-it died. I am attempting to reinstall with 

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZRZ

I am getting  "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."

I also get

"Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation. "

I assume this is due to difference in hard drives.  I assume I could purchase the win7 home premium and not have a problem.   I'd prefer not spending those dollars. 

Can anyone please advise regarding this problem and how to get around it?  Much thanks!

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello,

I would try to wipe the new HDD and reinstall from the recovery dvd:

Follow the IronFly's procedure.

France
  • edwardstone

thank you http://community.acer.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/186461

http://community.acer.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/186461

I take it you mean wipe the new hard drive-just in case anything got installed or copied to it during failed install- then follow that person's - iron fly- suggested  process and see how that goes?  thank you. 

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Not exactly. The new disks are not always "clean" (checked in factory) so it is necessary to wipe them (without no partitions).

Thanks to Ironfly!Smiley Happy

France
  • edwardstone

so far this has not worked. I ran the partition wizard and all. Same error messages. ; /

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User

Hello adwardstone Smiley Happy

There shouldn't be a problem with the compatibility between the old WD Green and the new WD Blue as they are both SATA drives. I would also suggest checking the new drive.

I would try plugging it internally or externally (using dock station, external enclosure or a SATA to USB cable ) and see if the drive is functioning properly and if it's visible in Disk Management.

I would also download and run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests.

I'd then try to initialize and partition/format the drive into NTFS and see if the recovery works then.

Captain_WD.

• edwardstone

I appreciate all who tried to help.  I'm more than a little disappointed with the acer reinstall discs, and the provided tips never did me any good. I did pay for reinstall disc and original product key. That other vendors reinstall disc worked- BAM! immediately. I now realize I did not need that new key and I hope the vendor takes the whole thing back as it was 50+ dollars.  BOOOO Acer.  You let me down.   new hard drive to replace the fried one and time and trouble,reflects poorly on you acer/ what was gateway ; /

• edwardstone

I appreciate all who tried to help.  I'm more than a little disappointed with the acer reinstall discs, and the provided tips never did me any good. I did pay for another vendors reinstall disc and original product key. That other vendors reinstall disc worked- BAM! immediately. I now realize I did not need that new key and I hope the vendor takes the whole thing back as it was 50+ dollars.  BOOOO Acer.  You let me down.  new hard drive to replace the fried one and time and trouble,reflects poorly on you acer/ what was gateway ; /