Problem with recovery dvd - Win 7

Options
joeoil
joeoil Member Posts: 51 New User

Hi

After making a clean install of Windows 10 I got problem with shutting down my pc, it's a Win 10 bug. Then I decided to reinstall Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire M3920 from my recovery dvd's made by Acer eRecovery management.

The problem is, installation stops and the #1 recovery disc pops out after files have been loaded from the disk and is ready to start installation.

This is the message is: "It is not enough disc space available on the disc for the necessary files to continue operation".

Ps: Before installing Windows 10 I deleted all files and partitions on the hard drive. Maybe this is causing the problem?

Anyone that can help me?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    right click on your HDD icon and choose wipe your HDD completly (it will erase also any GPT or MBR on the HDD), choosing the first option after selecting the wipe function.
    then exit partition wizard, boot to BIOS, set UEFI back from Legacy (if you have UEFI BIOS) and boot from the erecovery media.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

about windows 10 not shutting down, most of times disabling fast startup resolved the issue.

to re-install windows 7 from recovery disk, you need to wipe completly the HDD, this means also GPT.

use this instructions to enter command prompt from recovery disks:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

once in command prompt type:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clear all

it will take a long time until it finishes to wipe the HDD, once ended, reboot from your installation disk.

• joeoil
    Options

Thanks for respond

I have tried almost every solution that is listed in Microsoft community regarding Windows 10 not shutting down completely. So far nothing has solved the problem for me with my Acer Aspire M3920 desktop pc. It is most likely a driver issue.

I have a new Asus laptop which works perfect with clean install of Windows 10. 

Tomorrow I will try your solution about wiping out completely the HDD before installing Win 7. Was not aware of this.

Thank you. 

• joeoil
    Options

Nope, it did not work using the method you mentioned. Since my Win 7 recovery disk's are made with Acer eRecovery management the menues are different and there is no command prompt that allow me to delete all files on my HDD. 

This is what happens:

The windows files are being loaded from my #1 recovery disk when booting from dvd drive, next step is I choose my language, next step is to choose to set my computer back to factory settings, and the message is that all my files and everything on C: will be deleted. I chosse OK. Then the installation process starts,but stops after 2-3 sec with message: It is not enough space available on my disk to continue the installation process and the #1 recovery disk pops out. 

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    right click on your HDD icon and choose wipe your HDD completly (it will erase also any GPT or MBR on the HDD), choosing the first option after selecting the wipe function.
    then exit partition wizard, boot to BIOS, set UEFI back from Legacy (if you have UEFI BIOS) and boot from the erecovery media.

• joeoil
    Options

Hi

I tried to download Win 7 ISO-file from Microsoft download page, but the message I got when using my pruduct key was that I have a OEM version of Windows 7, and therefore I could not download the ISO-file. 

• IronFly
    Options

i didn't tell you to download windows 7 iso, download partition wizard to wipe your HDD and then use your Acer recovery disk to install.

• joeoil
    Options

Aah, sorry for that. I'll try your suggestion and I will see what happens.

Thanks.

• joeoil
    Options

IronFly

Now I have done what you told me to do, and I have Windows 7 back on my Acer Aspire desktop. It's not that easy when you are just an average Joe on computers, but I have defenitely learn a lot from these experiences.

One last question, is it correct that in BIOS, Boot order should be #1 EFI device, #2 Hard drive, #3 CD&DVD ......?

I was just wondering because when I had Windows 10 on my computer the boot order was #1 "Boot manager...." 

BIOS I don't know much about. 

All I can say is my computer now work perfect with Windows 7 again, it start and shut down as normal.

Thaks for your help!

• IronFly
    Options

windows boot manager was used from Vista, so also windows 7 has it but they changed name on windows 10 to windows boot manager.

efi is just a boot partition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_System_partition

so it was correct on windows 10 to have windows boot manager as first bootable device and also EFI on windows 7.

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• bobsharma
    bobsharma Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi,

I believe I have the same problem, with my recovery CD.  I followed your instructions, and was able to burn on my USB flash drive.  Once I got to pressing F12, I had an option to choose the USB so I press Enter and it just restarted to the original windows.  I wasnt sure if I had the 32 bit or 64 bit, so I saved both to the USB drive.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Bob