Laptop Packard Bell Easynote ENTG71BM. How can I re-configure F1-F12 keys in it?

Igor_Smet
Igor_Smet Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

I apologize for my bad English and thank in advance. Advise me, please.
My basic data are Laptop Packard Bell Easynote ENTG71BM, OS Windows 8.1 SL (64-bit).
Description of the problem:
I can use the F1-F12 keys only while pressing on the Fn key. That is inconvenient. I did not find the Function key behavior point in my UEFI, so could not re-configure the F keys there. But I have read somewhere in the Internet that one can change the behavior of the F keys using the Launch Manager application. My machine came with the application installed (v.8.00.8108), yet there is no that APP in Start Menu so I am not able to launch it and manage those keys. Tech support said it was necessary to reestablish OS Windows for this purpose, still I am not sure it would help.
Questions:
How could I configutate F1-F12 keys in such way that to use them without pressing on the Fn key? Should I use Launch Manager for it or do it in another way?
Igor Smetanin.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you tried to search Launch manager pressing

windows key logo + s

then type

acer launch manager

if it appears, double click it and see if it appears, if not, check for any icon on the notification bar, near clock and date.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Igor_Smet

Thank you, IronFly.
    I did everything you told to, yet Launch Manager application did not even appear in the list of the found ones. One can see it in the pic. 1., where a word above search line means "everywhere", and the items below are the Internet-links (I checked it). A search request Packard Bell Launch Manager resulted in only the Internet-links too.

1.png

There was no its icon on the notification bar either.
    But the APP is really installed in my machine (see pics 2, 3).

2.png

3.png
    The blue icons in a directory (pic. 3) are the .exe files. I tried to launch the APP by double-clicking all of them, yet GUI window of the program did not pop up.
    Tell me, please: what is to be done next?

• IronFly

oh i told you Acer launch manager .... but you have PB, my fault.

by the way, can you check if the PB launche manager icon is available on the icon tray near clock and date?

• Igor_Smet

Thank you, IronFly.
    No, it is not available there. I have sent the search request Packard Bell Launch Manager as well, still neither it appeared in the list of the found ones, nor the PB launch manager icon was available on the icon tray.

Igor Smetanin.

• Igor_Smet

It is my icon tray.

4.png

• IronFly

ok, let's try this:

1) download this:

http://global-download.packardbell.com/GDFiles/Application/LaunchManager/LaunchManager_Acer_8.00.8108_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635569063671272410&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=EASYNOTE&Step3=EN%20TG71BM&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=PACKARD%20BELL&SC=EMEA_27P

and this:

http://global-download.packardbell.com/GDFiles/Application/Application/Application_Acer_1.01.3016.0_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635569064156972410&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=EASYNOTE&Step3=EN%20TG71BM&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=PACKARD%20BELL&SC=EMEA_27P

2) uninstall the Packard bell launch manager and Packard bell quick access

3) reboot

4) install the downloaded launch manager and quick access

5) reboot

try if it appears on task manager, if not double click on LMTray on the Launch manager folder and check again.

if it doesn't work......as last try, i will uninstall Avira, reboot, re-install Launch manager, reboot and check again.

if it still doesn't work......a factory reset is the last chance.

• Igor_Smet

Thank you, IronFly!

You are a handsome man.

I got your idea. I shall try it and, then, reply you.
    Igor Smet.

• Igor_Smet

Hello, there!
    I have fulfilled the following:
    1) downloaded the applications from the above links.
    2) uninstalled the Packard bell launch manager and Packard bell quick access
    3) rebooted
    4) installed the downloaded launch manager and quick access
    5) rebooted
    It did not appear on task manager, double-clicking on LMTray on the Launch manager folder was not efective too.
    6) uninstalled the Packard bell launch manager and Packard bell quick access
    7) rebooted
    8) installed the Packard bell launch manager and Packard bell quick access with the pre-installed Packard Bell Recovery Management utility
    9) rebooted
    It has changed nothing.
    Then, that's what I got to know:
    1) "Acer Launch Manager is a background application only and does not provide any customaization to the function of the FN key combinations." (quote from the Acer-Ryan's answer here: http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Acer-Launch-Manager-version-8-for-windows-8-1/td-p/242592 ).
    2) "Acer Launch Manager enables and controls keyboard shortcuts." (quote from the Online Product Support by Acer here: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29467/~/keyboard-shortcuts-not-working ).
    3) It is reported at some Acer fans' forums that the Launch Manager settings are to be changed in the Windows registry (but they don't inform how to make this).
    Well, I suppose, there are two ways to customize the function of the FN key combinations on this basis:
    1) to change the Launch Manager settings in the OS registry.
    2) to use a third party application.
    Dear Community, IronFly, will you kindly express your opinion of it?

• IronFly

no other opinions or ideas at this point.

• Igor_Smet

IronFly, many thanks for your remarkable attempt to help!

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy