Windows 10 Anniversary Update makes touchpad unusable

lifo
lifo Member Posts: 18 New User

Hello,

About two weeks ago I purchased Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG. Everything worked well.
After I installed Anniversary Update, touchpad(ELANTECH) became unusable. It lags and movement is somewhat sluggish. When I switch touchpad setting in BIOS from ADVANCED to BASIC, no problem. But then gestures don't work. I've also found, that if CPU is on load, touchpad works normally. I think it's because of drivers. I made a clean install of Windows, installed all drivers from support page, updated windows and nothing helped(only BASIC mode, but then I lost functionality).

I've noticed that other people have this problem too. We should spread the word, so Acer finally updates drivers and/or BIOS.

Best Answer

• hally0
    hally0 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓

I had the same problem as you guys with my newly bougth Acer Aspire S5-371 and I fixed my problem with these steps:

1. Installed the newest Elantech drivers

2. installed the newest io drivers

3. Disabled advanced I2c option in bios

4. Updated Elantech drivers from windows update

5. Enabled Elantech in "mouse and touchpad setting", advanced settings. (If it doesn't show up or you can't enable it, try to reboot)

6. reboot

Now, under "Mice and other pointing devices" in Device manager, it shows up as Elan Input Device instead of Elan I2c Filter Device. Hope this works out for you guys to! Smiley Happy It took me three days to fix this problem... Can't understand why we don't get any help from Acer.

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

You can try setting the touchpad settings in the BIOS to Basic instead of Advanced. You may lose some features but we've heard that doing this helps with touchpad issues that may occur after the Windows 10 update. 

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • lifo

Sorry, but I've already tried that. Haven't you read my post? Ok, it solves the lag/stuttering, but I can't use gestures so touchpad is also pretty much unusable.
    On Tuesday, Acer released BIOS update v.1.12 that should improve system performance, but I don't see any changes...
    I think it must be something with power management. When I move cursor with touchpad CPU usage goes up to 20-25%. When I open for example Firefox, lag is gone, but CPU usage is still high. I tested it with USB mouse and CPU usage in the same scenario is around 4%.

Also WiFi behaves strange(it's Atheros NFA435). Unless I set it in Control Panel to maximum performance it's really slow.

Could you help me with that? You're an Acer Technician so could you tell me ETA of release of the new drivers?

Thanks Smiley Wink

P.S. My model (575G-53VG) is listed there - http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-update. It says it supports Windows 10 Anniversary Update, which obviously isn't true. It doesn't cast good light on Acer...

• lifo

Any news on the issue? Due to this "bug" I can't really use the laptop without USB mice. Support page says that my laptop supports Windows 10 Anniversary Update and yet I can't use it properly. I'm waiting for the new drivers...

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,083 Trailblazer

Have you tried rollin back the driver? If not, go to Device Manager, right click Elantech, Properties then roll back to previous driver. I am using a driver belong to another model of my laptop, I know it's time consuming but at the moment trial and error method is the only way to get the workable drivers.

The best method is to find the laptops similar specs to yours and try those drivers, for example try E5- family drivers from Acer download centre:http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

EDIT: I am using the driver which can be used in S-391, R7-572G models and it's actually Win8 driver.

Capture.JPG

• lifo

Thanks for the reply, but I've tried dozens of ELAN drivers from different sources. Lenovo drivers, Acer drivers, some generic drivers I found. Every ELAN driver behaves the same.
    Because of that and things I wrote in messages above I think that problem isn't in the touchpad driver itself, but rather in the I2C driver or power management driver(Intel Chipset or something like that? I've tried these drivers from different models and manufacturers too).
    What's important for me is reaction from Acer. They should solve the problem. They should have functional and updated drivers. But they released only BIOS update which made no difference.
    I still have hope that Acer will release new drivers and solve the problem. It just would be nice if they were quicker...

• sjhong0918
    sjhong0918 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same Issue after Windows 10 Anniversary Update
    (Window 10 Hme x64)

The touchpad so laggy that it's literally unusable.

Tried updating the driver via acer download and Microsoft and uninstall/reinstallig the driver.

It seems to be a common issue for E5-575G-53VG with elan tek touchpad.

Guess i have to return the item...
  • lifo

I can't find a laptop with better value under 600-700€ in EU market... Could you tell me what would be your replacement? Thanks Smiley Wink

Btw I really like this laptop. It has good build quality and best components for its price(except touchpad Smiley Very Happy). It would be the best if Acer solved this issue - win-win situation...

• lifo

I know this is a community forum, but there're also people directly form Acer, aren't they? So could they be so kind and just reply me(or us, as many other people have this problem) that they are aware of it and working on fix? Or they don't care to support brand new(May 2016 release) laptop? I could provide any additional info related to this issue if needed. All I need is some reaction... And please no switch touchpad from ADVANCED to BASIC Smiley Very Happy

Thanks

• tstone52
    tstone52 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am having the exact same issue. I just purchased my E5-575G-53VG. From day one I have had bad touchpad lag that makes me have to use a USB mouse. I would like to be able to use my laptop in my LAP, hence the name, instead of always at a desk/table with a USB mouse. I have spent several hours trying many different things to fix the issue and nothing works. One option said to disable palm check from the "ELAN" tab in device settings, but that tab does not even exist. The last tab is hardware and people say an ELAN tab should be next to it but it is not. Its very frustrating.

Acer, you have a serious functionality issue with your new product right out of the box. Please please work on resolving this issue.

• pil
    pil Member Posts: 1 New User

Same here. High cpu when moving cursor with touchpad, and it lags. NOT happens (so works perfectly) when a video  is opened (playing or stopped), so it is maybe intel videodriver related.

• lifo

I've tried several Intel Graphics drivers. I had some graphical bugs in Firefox with "official" one. I've tried to install the newest drivers from Intel, but Windows was pulling its own from Windows Update. Solved by Gpedit hack - there's option to not automaticaly install drivers by device ID. So I installed the latest beta drivers. No more Firefox glitches, but touchpad issue is still going on. These drivers were released in June(before Anniversary update), so there's a chance that it's graphics driver bug. Anyway I don't know. I'm thinking of installing Linux. I've checked some live distros and there's no issue with touchpad, everything works "out of the box". Only battery life concerns me(kernel doesn't have some CPU low power states implemented)...

• hally0
    hally0 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓

I had the same problem as you guys with my newly bougth Acer Aspire S5-371 and I fixed my problem with these steps:

1. Installed the newest Elantech drivers

2. installed the newest io drivers

3. Disabled advanced I2c option in bios

4. Updated Elantech drivers from windows update

5. Enabled Elantech in "mouse and touchpad setting", advanced settings. (If it doesn't show up or you can't enable it, try to reboot)

6. reboot

Now, under "Mice and other pointing devices" in Device manager, it shows up as Elan Input Device instead of Elan I2c Filter Device. Hope this works out for you guys to! Smiley Happy It took me three days to fix this problem... Can't understand why we don't get any help from Acer.

• lifo

OMG it worked! Thank you so much! It has just one disadvantage. I lost four fingers swap to change virtual desktops and three fingers swap to change apps(Alt+TAB). But that's minor inconvenience compared to sluggish and practicaly unusable touchpad before.
    Again many thanks! Smiley Wink

• WilliamG
    WilliamG Member Posts: 29 New User
    You also lose the precision part of the trackpad. Acceleration and accuracy takes a dump with I2C set to standard. If you really want to use this "solution", the bios change is the only one you need to make. I don't think it's a solution (and it was posted before), and it needs to still be fixed by Acer.
  • WilliamG
    FYI, by marking this solved you're basically saying the problem is fixed. It's NOT fixed. Please do not sabotage our ability to get this properly fixed!!
  • lifo

That's not true. With this solution I have all the gestures except four fingers swap and three fingers swap.

Scrolling  with two fingers works, touchpad is responsive and "precise" and I have no longer problem with high CPU usage. I don't know which part makes difference, but before I had no gestures with BASIC mode...

• WilliamG
    Yeah, Synaptics here so this does not work for my S5-371.
  • lifo

Well, I will surely try to help you in your post in S series. I don't want to sabotage anything, but this works for me(and for 575G laptops), so I marked it as solution.

• WilliamG
    At this point I will be making sure nobody I know ever buys an Acer laptop again. This is a joke.
  • WilliamG
    And I understand it's solved for you and I'm glad. :-)