Acer VX 15 (VX5 591G) CPU temperature

Options
NoDD
NoDD Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have the question about Acer Vx15. I bought it several mounth ago.

So when the CPU load is stable at high value 80-100% the temperatures are normal within 85°C, but when playing games or using apps when CPU load always fluctuates the temperature may rise to 95-98 °C for 10-30 seconds until fans increase rpm. So my question is is this normal? 

Answers

• Alex23
    Alex23 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I have the same behaviour. CPU temperatire is going to 97 °C when I'm converting video or playing some games.

Tested with plugged in charger on "Balanced" power mode, and on "High Performance". 

Configuration: i7-770HQ, GTX-1050Ti.

Is it possible to fix that high temperatures in some way?

Screenshot.png

• OlPunchyMcGee
    OlPunchyMcGee Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have this same issue. Most games it stays below 70c, the GPU is ALWAYS nice and cool in the 60-65 range, (and I'm in a tropical climate with no AC so I'm usually in a 27-30c room temp) so I dont think its any deficiency with the fan cooling system. However with some games, I'm hitting 93c, and all I can find is people saying that the max temp for the Intel i7-7700HQ is 100c and so everything is fine... Pretty sure that doesnt mean its designed to run at 93c for hours on end.... you guys find anything out yet???
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    The actual thermal limit of the CPU is much higher than 100C(at about 110-115C). It is just designed to not go past 100C this is when the system will shut itself down.

To reduce the temperatures you can undervolt the CPU using throttlestop or Intel XTU. Start by setting the voltage offset to -100mV. During the process you should have an application running at the backgound, stressing the CPU at 100% load like Prime95. Keep adding -5mV until your system crashes. Reboot and set the voltage to the last value on which the system was stable on.

There are many videos online, showing how to undervolt using both applications.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• RomaTepliy
    RomaTepliy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    same problemo. can u help?
  • keshav_c17
    keshav_c17 Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    same problemo. can u help?
    as @ven98 has mentioned that you can undervolt the CPU by -100mV using Intel XTU is the only solution i think. I have tried myself and i can observe a significant drop in the temperature of the CPU. It stays under 90°C
  • ダージリン様
    ダージリン様 Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    1. repaste the cpu, gpu
    2. undervolt using Throttlestop -0.100

mine already repasted using TG. krynout
    and undervolted -0.135 max temp only around 70-80C
  • Sensor
    Sensor Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Have same problem... Undervolting don't help... 94C :(  very poor cool system.
  • siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sensor said:

Are You sure You effectively undervolted CPU? How far did You go with mV? These temps seem high for lowered voltage. My i7 runs that hot only without undervolting. I went down to -130mV and now max temps are around 85C.

By the way, if You own vx5-591g, You can check this thread: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/511943/aspire-vx-15-fan-speed-control-is-is-possible-or-not
    One of the guys writes about a trick to put fans on full speed. I use it while playing games, just to shave few more degrees of the CPU temp. Just be careful with it. It might be risky if You change the wrong parameters, I guess. It works with my laptop.

I can't wait for the warranty period to complete so I can repaste both CPU and GPU. Acer really could let users control the fans with an official software. It's ridiculous that we don't have this option in what is advertised as a gaming laptop.
  • Sensor
    Sensor Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    siny79 said:
    Sensor said:

Are You sure You effectively undervolted CPU? How far did You go with mV? These temps seem high for lowered voltage. My i7 runs that hot only without undervolting. I went down to -130mV and now max temps are around 85C.

By the way, if You own vx5-591g, You can check this thread: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/511943/aspire-vx-15-fan-speed-control-is-is-possible-or-not
    One of the guys writes about a trick to put fans on full speed. I use it while playing games, just to shave few more degrees of the CPU temp. Just be careful with it. It might be risky if You change the wrong parameters, I guess. It works with my laptop.

I can't wait for the warranty period to complete so I can repaste both CPU and GPU. Acer really could let users control the fans with an official software. It's ridiculous that we don't have this option in what is advertised as a gaming laptop.
    Yes. I use Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility and undervolting my cpu to -0.140V (i test -0.150V and have bsod in windows 10)

If i load ONLY CPU, temp ~80-83C. But when i play games and load CPU+GPU i have over 90-94C.

I play PUGB 5min and CPU 90-91C per core

I also did not wait for the warranty to end and changed the thermal grease on the MX-4 and it did not help me at all.

I have normal temperatures only if I disable the turbo boost.
  • siny79
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sensor said:

I also did not wait for the warranty to end and changed the thermal grease on the MX-4 and it did not help me at all.

Oh, that's a bummer, I was really hoping that repasting will improve my temps.

Anyways... I checked my temps again to see if maybe higher ambient temperatures can cause those 90+ CPU temperatures and it seems like they do. The maximums (of middle 80s) I spoke off before where measured during winter with pretty low ambient temperature in my room. Now, since it's a really hot summer where I live, CPU temps (under heavy CPU and GPU load) can spike as high as low 90s. Just like in Your case. That's with core undervolt of -140mv and Turbo Boost enabled. TBF there's a also slight GPU overclock present, but it doesn't affect CPU temp as much.

So my guess is... it's seems normal to get those high temps, unfortunatelly. My solution is to use that "trick" (RWEverything, fans at full speed) I talked about earlier. That way, in exactly same conditions I get middle-to-high 70s on CPU (mosty around 75 degrees) with seldom spikes to 80-82 celsius. Maybe, if You are concerned about Your temps, You can give it a try.

Good luck.
    Cheers!
  • JohnCena
    JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have that laptop and I am not having a temperature issue.
  • siny79
    Options
    JohnCena said:
    I have that laptop and I am not having a temperature issue.

Lucky You :) Does Your laptop run I5 or I7 processor?
  • hubwood
    hubwood Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited September 2018
    Options
    GUYS!

Just registered here to inform you that repasting with (arctic) MX4 dropped my tempereatures by 15! (FIFTEEN!) Degrees C°.
    I swear to god. I tried everything else before. Of course also undervolting, which helped as usual, but temperatures were still too high IMHO.
    Now with undervolted -140 mv and the repasted CPU/GPU I'm getting 67 Degrees C° on Prime 95 and a maximum of 58-63 °C in the Witcher 3 for the CPU. (i5 7300 HQ)

I actually used the method were I manually spreaded the paste before reconnecting the heat spreader. Not relying on the heat sink pressure. And I worked slwoly and carefully. I don't know what acer did with the original paste job... 

One thing when repasting: It's actually a bit tricky when reinstalling the heat spreader. Thats why you will have to loosen the fans aswell, because there is a little sheet of paper attached to the heat spreader that has to go UNDER the fans at all costs, or it would almost completely block the air flow!