Acer Aspire E1-522 Blue screen of death, won't reboot to windows

Options
GoldieR
GoldieR Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi.  I am sooo very frustrated. Woman Mad My mum has an ACER Aspire E1-522 series.  She's been having probs with it since last summer as it turned very s-l-o-w and would take forever to do its updates...however, the internet is messed up here sometimes and hard to 'jump onto' with Wifi as she's not 'hardwired' to the internet.  Anyway, I had cleaned out her system a few times, no probs...Then AFTER the last update from windows ( approx. a month ago) and the computer shut itself down. Whenever she turned it on, it would 'interrupt' her after sign on screen for Windows and then say it was fixing itself.  I told her I would try to fix it (as we CANNOT afford to take it to repair for $100+) So I bought a 16g usb to do a back up on (it has never been done) as the back up would not go onto discs (??) Now, that I invested $ in that, the darn thing will ONLY come on with logo, and IF I'm lucky, will come on with blue screen "windows encountered an error, wait for repair..." then it goes black (or sometimes blue) for days...WHAT can I do?? How do I fix this? I don't know how to get the battery out either, but I don't want to damage the computer in case it does have to go to the shop.  And how does one even 'get in' for the RAM in case that is the problem? PLEASE PLEASE help!! ( it's not even 2 yrs. old...Smiley Sad but it is out of warranty...) Thank you for reading my rant!Woman Tongue

Spoiler

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

try this (if your laptop has windows 8.x):

at boot press ALT+F10 or after entering your password to login, keep pressing Shift key, this will start Acer/windows recovery.

From the Recovery screen
    Click on Troubleshoot.
    Click on Advanced Options.
    Click on Startup Settings.
    Click on Restart.
    The PC will now reboot to the Startup Settings screen.
    Press 4 to Enable Safe Mode as prompted.

once in Safe mode, you will able to backup your personal data, then shut down your laptop and boot again pressing ALT+F10 or keep pressing Shift key once entered your password to login but now click on Troubleshoot - Reset and follow onscreen instructions to re-install OS from scratch.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • GoldieR
    Options

Hello Mr. Ironfly.  Thank you for your trouble...however, I have tried this, and the computer just responds with "looks like you're having trouble-going to "repair your computer" and then it's blue screen forever...I read that the repair option takes a really lonnnnggg time BUT this seems to be doing 'something' (blue light intermittently flashing) and then it does stop with NOTHING HAPPENING but a blue screen....Smiley Sad read other suggestions ie: battery (did it), F12, etc etc. nope nada nothing.  I JUST want to get to the factory reset backup and do that, but can't... A computer repair said they would fix it for $100 but that's rididculous when I know it can be repaired by myself and I've already invested in buying a 16g memory stick for the back up.  Suggestions??

• IronFly
    Options

ok GoldieR, i think you have 2 choices.

1) order from Acer the recovery disks, this will involve some $

2) try to boot from a live CD iso and copy the Acer recovery partition to your 16GB USB flash drive, make it bootable, wipe your HDD and try to re-install all from the USB flash drive (it's not 100% troublefree and involve some BIOS settings to be changed)

let me know your choice.

• GoldieR
    Options

Hiya, yup - i'm still up eventhough it's 2am here...ummm pardon my ignorance, but are u talking about the OS? I turned the thing back on (first time in 2wks-had to leave it alone for a bit as I let my mum use my computer, but now I have the windows 10 upgrade, it is very time consuming, so I have mine back.  She's not coping well and thinks she'll NEVER have her own computer again Smiley Sad)Anyhoo, THIS time it went right into the logo and "repairing your computer" without any prompts or me pressing alt+F10 or anything...then it seemed to be doing something as the op light was flickering then solid, flickering then solid and intermittent flickering for about 10min. NOW only the battery charging (I drained it)and power on indicator lights are on.  Is THAT a good sign? OR another false hope?

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• IronFly
    Options

let's hope it will end the process successfully, let me know. Smiley Happy

• GoldieR
    Options

Hi Buddy! Well I was up 'til 5am and NOTHING changed on the indicator lights OR the computer...gave it 'til I got up today (11am ish) and still NOTHING!(Just my power bill going up LOL) However, if I turn it off, back on, off, back on THEN press alt+f10 BEFORE it starts 'circling' I get: "preparing repair" right away which gets my hopes up BUT nothing.

OK.  So I have gone to look at the option of buying repair discs like you suggested, but the bleeping store web page keeps coming up "sorry ...we are aware of this problem...we are working on it" all in red ink. Yup, right, like you have great customer service too, yeah? grrrrr

Anyhoo, wondering about this:

a) could something be LOOSE? A neighbour told me her son had the EXACT same model and problem and just the RAM was loose.  He had to pay $$ a technician just to fix that which took about 5sec.  Could that be the case here? Something loose?

b) Should/could I open the computer and check myself? What does the RAM board look like? Can I find a diagram somewhere that shows me a map of the inside of the computer?  I am a craftsperson (jewelry) and I am quite confident I have the tools to open it and look inside...

What do you think?