Defective Batt' > Acer Aspire F15 F5-573G-58XS

Options
dougc
dougc Member Posts: 82 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

Purchased  unit from local Acer  vendor this past Sunday 

Before turning on, followed (online) manual recommendation for optimizing Batt'.

Full charge (blue light _#1) then turn on to initialize Win10  . . . . Batt' live stated 9hrs.,  

Ran down Batt' to approx. 22% (using continuous Y'Tube vid series)

Turned unit off for Full charge (#2)  . . .  turn on,   Batt' live stated 3.5hrs !!

Again ran down Batt' to approx. 20% (using continuous Y'Tube vid series)

Turned unit off for Full charge (#3) . . . . . turn on,   Batt' live stated again only 3.5 hrs contrary to  a Acer declared "12hrs long battery life" Batt' .

Called Acer support right-a-way Tues p.m.  described twice (CSR spoke good english but seemed to have problem processing my stated sequence and results). 

HE defined/ agreed to defective Batt'. 

But did not think much of my idea for them to 'dropship' a new Batt' to my location.   Instead offered that I ship the unit to them for diag' & repair if req'd. 

I stated NOT a option, since vendor has 14 day cust. satisfaction full refund o exchange policy.

I opted for that one returning unit with declared defective batt' (aka manufacturer's defect) and acquiring a new unit this a.m.

! Alas this second unit NOT off to a great 'start' either ......

Full charge>Batt' life after initializing Win10 = only 4hrs  !!  then while doing run-down of Batt' using Y'tube again  saw it jump up to 5+ hrs  ??! )

Hoping (word store management also used when i was doing 'exchange'), that it improves in next couple more batt' optimization processes,  or else this one goes back and acquire a 3rd unit which they said they did have,  . . . .  after the long-winded "reset pc> ..... remove everything" Win' utility accomplished,  of course. 

! Not going to waste time starting to tweak this unit to personal interests till confimred a 'keeper'    Smiley Wink

nite,

D'

p.s. Acer seems to have hot power adapter problem fixed, with these "date code" 17** series !!  Saw this problem mentioned in various reviews.     Alas we now seem to have defective Batt's  installed into what seems to be a fantastic configuration/bod' . . . . .

Answers

• dougc
    Options

Sooooo far,  unit #2  Batt' optimizing process;

#1 > fully charged = 4 hrs

#2 > fully charged = 4 hrs !   (in process of running it down so i try at least one more )

So it seems this  'unit#2'  is indicating it will be a return/refund unit,   and acquire another if available Smiley Happy

Sadly (?),  it's looking like Acer  did allow  the use of defective batt's to be installed into a otherwise seemingly excellent platform and product to be rolled out  . . . .   At least (if Acer corp. would be interested) they will have a record of case files indicating  defective/inferior Batt's were signed off on & installed !  IMHO, of course. 

Interim logged a call with Acer support which for frontline CSRs,  the only option/info they have within their 'script' is ....   ship it in for repair !     Shucks how about they ship us a unit with a correct spec'  Batt' (with prepaid return packaging),  and then we'll  send them the defective laptop unit for their as-is dept.(?)     Smiley Wink

D'

• dougc
    Options

Interesting . . . . . after posting previous I looked at Unit#2 which contrary to a earlier post,  which was in middle of  (some tweaking LOL),  the  "starting fresh" process ) on Batt' power.    

So to make sure it still had juice  chkd  the batt' life states,  11hrs !! 

Just chkd again (3 min. later) it now reads over 6hr. ... ehhhh ? 

Amazing how ya can gain 7hr. Batt' life (since turned on machine this a.m., batt life = 4 hrs),  and then loose 5 hrs of batt' life in 3 min realtime   !!?

D'

p.s.  while  closing-up  this post,   Batt' life on Unit#2 now saaaays  6hr 59min  LOL 

• dougc
    Options

Yes the saga continues . . . .

Hanging onto Unit#2 longer than inidicated since I stumbled across;

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843#_ga=2.178447399.280792964.1502943728-1803415843.1501299687 ,

found when in coming up to the end of Opt'Batt' process #2  I was inputting some keywords into google.ca .  

So at just over 1h left,  I followed the details and fd. it jumped all the way back up to over 5h  --- ehhh !?   that was encouraging.  So burned off that time using the same Y'tube vid' series on full scrn,  and then a overnight full charge. 

Opt'Batt' #3 turned on (TO) = 7h35m,   theeeen within 5min it dropped down to 5h40m  (just sitting while I was making notes) . . . . paper clip it again thinking maaaybe a progressive reset fix (?)

Opt'Batt' #4   TO= 13h  geeeez buuut then later while noting down min.  looked over and it had dropped to 11.5h , ..... 45m later showed 8h !

Opt'Batt' #5  TO= 5h37m Smiley Sad     paper clip it again which the Batt' did not appreciate as it showed only 4h55m .... did not 'burn down Batt' as it was too late in the day. so did a full overnight charge.

Opt'Batt' #6 TO= 7h41m setup Y'Tube vid series and did a Batt' life chk --- =12h19m (!?); 10 min. later  chkd again 8h14m  . . . . 'burn down the Batt' today and do another overnight full charge and see what shows on turn on in the a.m.

IMHO something is flakey in this unit too.  

Decision tomorrow  ignore Acers' seemingly misleading claim of 12hrs LBL  (maybe occ. but not consistent on initial TO after a full charge) and keep this unit .....

Ooooor  do a Win 'reset PC'  to return unit  to vendor (Tues., declaring again manufacturers' defect>Batt' or firmware ?),  and exhange for a 'unit #3'   !?

D'

p.s.  any forum 'lurkers'  out there with this unit, or other  E5-573G series configurations  showing similiar symptoms ?   

p.p.s.

when i was chatting with the Acer CSR about this unit I had actually asked him "what is the Batt' reset pin hole (mentioned within the E5-573G online manual) actually used for ? " 

He only said, "used to power up the unit... if seemingly dead Batt",    but did not say anything about a possible fix for the other symptoms mentioned on the attached acer url !    This is the same CSR who during call stated,   '(he) I know everything' ---- seriously,  ehhh !?   

He also stated (when i asked for a 'escalation' up to either supervisor o manager of this contract customer service unit) that they were busy elsewhere, and would  only have the (seemingly) same info (/interest) as he had at his 'finger tips'.   I did wait for 5-10 min. for a rep.  further up their corp. 'food chain',    but then opted out  indicating to this CSR that at least Acer now had at a couple case files indicating a "defective" Batt'  issue .

. . . . to be continued  Smiley Happy

• dougc
    Options

FYI ;

I stumbled across this sub-forum of 'our'  Acer community  last night but nothing popped up about saaaay actual LBL 12hr  batt'  so I wordsmithed this;

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Ideas/Actual-LBL-12hrs-Batt/m-p/520572#M925

BTW,  this a.m.;

7th   Opt'Batt' full overnight charge > TO =  3h41m... setup THE Y'tube channel... chkd Batt' =5h16m...   10m later chkd again = 7h24m and  where it is runnning down from, with Y'Tube channel (constant test parameter) playing

Ignoring that this is just over half to Acer claim of a 12hr. LBL,   ya would think that when you TO your unit it would say 7h24m right away, nooot increase !? 

Soooo running 'Reset PC' this p.m. and doing a refund on this unit#2.  Online indicates that the vendor has a potential unit#3 for a 'exchange', .....since this CDN variant (-58XS) specs are awesome,  expect for the Batt' issue  !  

Obviously I still appreciate  the positive atitiude/statement of the vendor manager,  that there are some bad units in all consumer goods    Smiley Wink

Hasta Leugo,

D'

p.s. the constant "Batt' rundown" parameter  ;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdQjaSoLjIzFnWsDQOv4ww/playlists?sort=dd&view=1&shelf_id=5

Clik on a playlist > full scrn ....  

You'll notice some of the 'older' vids are regular vs their more recent "HD" vids,  which will show you the 'quality' of your screen capabilities !

And another couple constants,  I also have had 100% brightness set ALL the time,  with Batt' saver OFF !

• dougc
    Options

!  I  LOL when a couple days ago, I received a auto-email from here (community) informiing me of a reply.  Oh really one of the few dozen 'viewers' actually posted a fix maybe ? ',

.....  Naaah,  just the system reacting to one of mine Smiley Happy

!!  I started a thread regards the Bios v1.27 optional update for these F5-573g units (and many other configurations) and their elusive contents of the 'EC' versions ; 

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-F-V-and-M-Series-Laptops/Bios-v1-27-F5-573G-58XS/m-p/521142#M19976

Anyways,  Yes.... I did acquire a 'unit #3'  and here are some of the (perplexing) hi-lites found within the  ^ConditioningBatt'Process (CBP);

TO #1 = 7h;  5m later dropped to 2h58m ...so since i had read a hint of Batt' related rewrite within a mentioned ECv  contained with the bios 1.27   I successfully updated to that vers. and cont'd ...alas the batt' level read 93%/3h15m; restart Y'tube constant 30m later it jumped to 84%/6h6m; a few moments later 4h30m . . . . discharge to less than half hr.

CBP TO #2 = 3h15m; restart Y'Tube jumps tah 6h51m; m. later drops to 4h28m; then I inadvertly close lid putting it to sleep, do restart right-a-way TO = 2h7m droping to 1h8m

* I do a pin reset and plug-in with unit off.

Log a call in w/acer tech support an file a  "defective batt' or algorthim/code" report.

And a couple hrs later when I see the bluelight (not bothering witha overnight charge);

TO #3 =7h19m; setup Y'T jumps 9h30m; 15m later has dropped to 6h; 30 m later I find it @7h24m ..... turned if off unplugged for overnight  a.m. TO =7h; set upY'T  only 5min. later of prev. reading it had dropped to 1h50m   !

* i follow a 'how to calibrate...." ;

https://www.howtogeek.com/172271/how-to-calibrate-your-laptops-battery-for-accurate-battery-life-estimates/   . . . . . and then another full charge.

#4 TO =9h13m; setup Y'T less than 5m =3h31m ;  45m later chkd =6h37m; 

off overnight and a.m. TO= 2h51m; setup Y'T and find it jumped to 6h59m !

Initiated a 'ResetPC" for a refund/exchange for unit #4 but following a suggestion made by the last Acer CSR initiated Win10 again which was a bit of a 'mistake' 'cause it decided to do a 2.5h process of updates  yeeeech !

And finally able to TO again =8h40m;  then after noting that down chkd again ... 4h29m !!

* Initated 'Reset PC' for refund within 40hrs   ;(

! Picking up unit #3 the vendor manager and salesperson, expressed that the symptoms indicating a flakey algorithm/code  vs a actual physical defective Batt' .   

! One of the vendors competitors (another international) has the previous version of this model 'on sale'  this week (E5-575G-55nw demo says, build date 16-09)  which previous to stumbling across this recent version (F5-573G-58XS w/build date 17-04)  I was actually looking at this E% configuration, but the reg. pricepoint was 50 above msrp with no sale in sight.      Both models  seem to have same spec's except the early version is Acer classic textured black plastic.   Same Bios1.25 (w/1.27 option), so I presume similiar Batt' issues although the closest mention of similiar anywhere is a review on the vendors review webpage by a enduser;  ".... Only complaint: the battery life is grossly exaggerated. There's a sticker on the laptop that says '12 hour battery'. While web browsing and editing word documents I get around 4 hours. If you're looking for a macbook replacement, the battery life is the only place where this doesn't match up"  

So is the new norm' for consumers accept what the manufacturer's rollout to ya   vs  asking for refund/exchange  and/or complain to appropriate bodies about misleading info/false facts  !?

... to be continued ?  Smiley Wink

^ I just realized that 'optimizing ...'  is another later process,  "Conditioning...." is Acer's stated initial process 'label'  Smiley Wink

nite.

• dougc
    Options

ahhhhh,  while returning  the previous unit (a.m. yesterday) the vendor manager suggested sending a note over to SynnexCanada (i had mentioned their name last 'return')  sharing the data I have accumulated on the previous 3 units.   SCltd is the distributor/wholesaler to vendors on Acer's behalf in this region or all(?) of Canada.

At the time I just made a face and expressed disinterest/wasteoftime attitude.   But then later I reconsidered, and  sent the following to their CS and Tech'support dept emails ;

"Dear Sir or Madam ;

Not sure which dept. this would impact the most,  but heard returned units due to manufacturers' defect are sent to a refurb'/recert' centre  somewhere.

Theoretically,  you have presently 3 (returned) units of  Acer> F5-573G-58XS// NX.GD8AA.002,  heading to that centre.

The following Acer forum thread contains the units(s) short consumer history;

> THIS thread URL<

All 3 were called into Acer "Tech Support" with a case file issued for each,  previous to  decisions being made to return/exchange   for a (hopeful)  'keeper' unit !

You're Welcome  Smiley Wink              

a (Home) End user ,    "

Adieu,

D'   Smiley Happy

p.s.  in addition to the Batt' life issue, unit#3   had a fine white line displaying on the  left edge (which unit #4 doesn't),    also  the unit would not turn on when the vendor tech wanted to do a chk (probably caused by what i thought was a flakey win10 update taking like 2.5 hrs to complete)  but obviously since I had history with them, the vendor manager just lumped it onto the "manufacturers' defect",  reasons for refund !

'Bill' says phffft,  but the saga continues... Smiley Happy

• dougc
    Options

And yes, Unit #4;

the usual ConditioningBatt'Process (CBP) with the constants set(Y'T'>S'laV'; batt' saver off; 100%scrn bright') .

#1 TO = 3h42m; then as it was DL Win10 within MS'StartFresh' tool jumped to 7h40m;  30m later it had jumped to 12h21m...25m later it was at 12h24m and DL of Win10 during 'StartFresh' stuck @ 3% ...5m after notes made, chkd Batt' = 6h39; then 10 min jump up to 12h25m;  1.5h later it had dropped to 3h38m; put to bed = 1h36m/58%  !!

In the a.m. cont'd with CBPTO#1 at 1h34m/56%; after setting constants =2h59m; 10m later 3h48m ......

#2 TO = 8h3m set constants ... 8h26m then later had jumped to 10h14m and cont'd jumping around till loss ofpower.....

#3 TO = 3h45m usual notes & set constants... level =11h11m;  attempted to do restart (try something diff.)  but it would only allow "Update with Restart (or Shutdown) ... reboot after forced update, Batt' level = 18h38m/93% !!;   also chkd update history as notifed and fd., "No updates have been installed yet "   eeeehh !??

915 a.m Initiated 'Reset PC' for return next day and .....

.... to be cont'd !   

D'

p.s. and this unit did not have a white line on the far right edge of usual Y'T' constant as noticed on unit#3 ... so very likely that unit has a scrn ready to crash in the future !   Will the repair depot, spot that or will someone be buying a refurb/recert  still with a manufacturers' defective scrn !?   

• dougc
    Options

Thursday 1015am MDT

Returned unit #4 of F5-573G-58XS/ pn NX.GD8AA.002 for another full refund !

My Home IT dept. (I,Myself and Me) had finally decided that it was time to move on .. reallocate the $$$ towards a (3rd) desktop build in the future, and reno' the S'Vaio.

So  a Unit #5 was  NOT  acquired even though the vendor did have one in stock ...

As stated previously, really liked the specs and looks of this Acer F5,  but when ya have a 'cross-the-board/rollout' of a troublesome component with no tangible fix (closest being the scripted contractors inviting ya to send in to repair shop for ? ... definitely contribute to the shpg industry economy),  it is  after 4 attempts/units/samplings and 2.5 wks,  time to move on !

Even while returning unit 3,  the vendor management person had stated surprise/shock I would be so presistent in my attempt to find a 'perfect' unit.  Shared with me,  that personally might give a manufacturer one chance,  but after that moved on to another competitor/manufacturer.  

I was certainly 'hoping' Smiley Happy

For now ... shutting the screen door, but not slamming the interior.  Smiley Wink

Later,

Doug C

product ref.;  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/NX.GD8AA.002

• dougc
    Options
    Just in case you were wondering ... successfully upgraded the S'Vaio with a SSD .  And still using it, although granted the processor is way slower than the alleged new CPU tech available in the new machines now. 

And yes still running on Win7 ;)

Keeping an eye on the marketplace  . . . . . dougc !