Desktops & All-In-Ones

Topic

Contributing Member
blueribb

Why won't my Aspire M3100 desktop support 4 GB in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ?

[ Edited ]

I just acquired this desktop (used). It was running Vista 32 bit with 2gb DDR2 memory. I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and everything works perfectly. I decided to increase the memory to 4gb. I installed 4 matched sticks of 1gb each (Infineon DDR2 667, DDR2 5300). It boots to windows and system information displays: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable). The problem is the sound is just loud crackling noises, the Network adapter fails and the video has problems. When I reduce total memory to 3 GB, everything works normal again. According to Acer, this motherboard should support 8 GB. I searched google and found another person that had the identical problem I am having. It was never resolved. I wonder if a BIOS update would help. Acer does not offer downloads of BIOS updates via the web for this model and they will not discuss this problem since the warranty has long expired.

I tried enabling "memory hole" in the BIOS but it did not help with the problem.

Acer Aspire M3100 / AM3100

Mfg Date: 2007 / 10 / 12

[edited for privacy]

Acer Technician
Acer-Tommy

Re: Why won't my Aspire M3100 desktop support 4 GB in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ?

It sounds like a problem with either one of the pieces of memory or the slot on the mainboard.

You may wish to install/swap the memory around and see if you can determine if it is one of the memory modules or one of the slots.

Important Links: Global Support Pages | Knowledge Base Articles
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

Contributing Member
blueribb

Re: Why won't my Aspire M3100 desktop support 4 GB in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ?

Thanks for the reply. I initially tried a 2 GB stick in one bank and (2) 1 GB sticks (matched) in the second back. The computer boots and displays the total memory in both the BIOS and windows but the sound, network and video issues occur. Removing 1 GB, dropping the total to 3 GB cured the sound, network and video issues. I then installed 4 different 1 GB sticks and had the problems once again. I'm pretty sure both the memory and the slots are OK.

I'm waiting on a matched pair of 2 GB sticks from Kingston. They should be here today or tomorrow. I'll post the results then.

Read this similar post:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/298910-30-trouble-installing

Contributing Member
blueribb

I received a matched pair of 2 GB sticks today (4 GB total) and installed them in the blue bank. The problem still exists. I went to MSConfig and then the advanced area and limited MAX Memory to 4095 and then re-booted. This fixed all the problems but now windows sees 4 GB but only 3 GB is usable.

Either I need a BIOS update or this motherboard does not support Windows 7 64-bit with more than 3 GB.

This is one weird problem

Frequent Contributor
alicepattinson

Yes, that's really weird. Maybe you should first try the BIOS update and let us know

Acer Technician
Acer-Tommy

If you only have 4GB installed, there is no reason to set Maximum Memory to 4GB, just leave it at the defaults which uses all available RAM.

You will never have all of the RAM you install available for use.  The OS and other items, like shared video, will take some RAM and it will not be available.  It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with the 4GB you have installed.

Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

Contributing Member
blueribb

I set max memory to 4095, one short of 4 GB (4096). I found this tip on another forum and the person there had the exact same issue that I'm having.

The current BIOS info is below:

Mainboard ID F690GVM

SMBIOS version 2.4

System BIOS version 6.00 PG

System BIOS ID: R01-A1

BIOS Release Date: 06/25/2007

Any idea where I can download a later version ?

Acer Technician
Acer-Tommy

Any available BIOS would be on the Driver page, under the BIOS tab.

Contributing Member
blueribb

They do not offer BIOS updates online for the Aspire M3100. Instead, they give this message under the BIOS tab:

Updating an incorrect BIOS may cause harm to your system. We recomend that you only do this after being instructed by one of our Customer Care representatives. By using these updates you agree to accept the possibility of product failure.

Contributing Member
blueribb

[ Edited ]

Update: I found an Acer European site that offers BIOS updates for the Aspire M3100 here:

Acer Europe

I downloaded a newer BIOS (R02-B1) and the WinFlash Utility. I ran WinFlash in Administrator mode and pressed "update bios" and then selected the BIN file. It came back with an error message saying "select the correct file".

I give up. It looks like I'm stuck with 3 GB max memory.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please take a moment to review the latest Community News article to learn about new changes to your community membership.

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: