cannot connect to Internet after upgrading to Windows 7 64bit Aspire M3100

Options
RC123
RC123 Member Posts: 8 New User

I upgraded my Acer Aspire M3100 desktop from XP 32bit to Windows 7 64Bit.  I bought a brand new hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 7.  I installed the latest drivers for my onboard Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.  The trouble shooting diagnostic gives the error message:

"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration    Not fixed

I can plug in a USB wireless adapter and it will connect just fine.  I have disabled and enabled the network adapter, the Internet cable is fine.  Attached is the details for my wireless connection which works and my wired connection which does not work.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Is there any software I can use to fix this?

Answers

• alicepattinson
    alicepattinson Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter
    Options

have you checked your modem? or you can also type on the command prompt: netsh winsock reset and hit Enter. Try it if it works Smiley Happy

• RC123
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried and re-booted but it didn't help.  Any ideas about the DNS servers in the attached screen shot?

• Juzzo
    Juzzo Member Posts: 117 Troubleshooter
    Options

It looks like your router has no connection to the internet. (The d-link)

It should be passing the DNS server info from your ISP through the DHCP settings (the 192.168.x.x is a common public address block for those routers to use on the host side)

I would reset the router (Possibly poking the little hole with a paperclip if the model you have has one.)

That 169.x.x.x address you picked up is a generic microsoft default. Nothing useable unless on an inside network with other microsoft machines.

• Juzzo
    Juzzo Member Posts: 117 Troubleshooter
    Options

Can also try cmd line commands..

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

Might just kick it into gear. Still, my guess is an issue between the router and the internet, not comuter and router.

• RC123
    Options

Thanks everyone for all you help. After lots of Googling it seems like when this particular motherboard has more than 4 GB of RAM the Marvell Yukon ethernet controllor no longer works.  I tried all your suggestions and many, many more. I finally gave up and bought a PCI ethernet card and it works fine.

This discussion has been closed.