c710 Chromebook OS Recovery

mwagnon-sbusd
mwagnon-sbusd Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have an Acer c710-2847 Chromebook that I can't recover. The device boots up into a screen that indicates "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick." The model of the Chromebook is PARROT TITMICE A-C 0921. Following the instructions at https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595?hl=en I download the recovery tool for Windows. I insert a 4GB USB flash drive and run the recovery tool, enter in the model and let the tool write the image to the drive. I insert the USB drive into the Chromebook, it reboots, tries to verify the image and then errors out and displays the message "an unexpected error has occurred" and recommends a visit to https://www.google.com/chromeos/recovery which is the same location I started from. I've followed the troubleshooting steps on the recovery page which are:

• Confirm that you successfully completed all instructions exactly as specified in step 2.
  • Try using a different USB stick or SD card.
  • If the problem persists, contact a Chromebook agent.

I've tried different USB sticks in each of the three USB ports on the Chromebook, I've re-created the image on the various sticks. I've burned other images for other CB models on the same sticks and have used them to recover other models without any hiccups.

I've opened  case with Google, but I think I'm going to be told to contact Acer for support. This Chromebook was purchased more than a year ago, so I'm certain it's out of warranty. Has anyone else had a similar issue with the c710? Is the hwid/model of the device being reported correctly?

Thanks for any assistance,

Mark

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello mwagnon-sbusd,

I am sorry to hear your efforts to recover your Chromebook has not resulted in satisfactory results. It does sound like you have done some extensive testing of your own. I understand you may be out of warranty but I believe that you may be able to resolve this issue by reseating the HDD. The error message you have received can also be a result of a loose HDD connection.

Please review our article Acer C710 Chrome operating system is missing or damaged. I hope this resolves you issue, however if you still experience this problem, please contact technical support in your region as you may have a hardware issue.

• mwagnon-sbusd
    mwagnon-sbusd Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response--was out on vacation.

I received a message from Google Chrome-OS Support. They instructed me to remove and reseat the battery. I just did this and the Chromebook booted right up. I probably should have tried that before, but I thought the battery was sealed away within the case and not easily removeable. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to try your instructions, but will keep them in mind if I have any other problems.

Thanks again!

Mark

• eltonw
    eltonw Member Posts: 23 New User

CAVEAT: Apparently the instructions still say use a 4Gb USB stick. An 8Gb stick is preferable. 

HTH anyone in a similar situation.

Cheers...

This discussion has been closed.