Memory upgrade for Aspire TC 705 desktop

Options
rfvaneck
rfvaneck Member Posts: 11 New User

Hello, i'd like to upgrade my Aspire TC 705 4Gb to 8Gb..which memory is compatible and which is best?

It has two slots a blue one and a green one, the blue one is occupied by the memory bank that came with the pc and is a SK hynix 4GB 1Rx8 PCL3 -12800U - 11 - 13 - A1 low voltage i've been told, i tried a similar bank but it didnt got recognized by the pc(?) no beeps either (?) I've tried the upgrade bank as a solo bank, then i got beeps(?) anyone advise pls??

TIA

Rudy

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

The problem with buying Hynix is it's too expensive.  Almost double or triple the price because they don't really have a retail arm for their "regular memory".  They started a retail arm for their high end stuff for enthusiast boards this year...which doesn't help.

All you really need is this Kingston module.  It will work fine with your Acer/Intel H81 board, CPU, BIOS and Hynix memory.....and should work in dual channel with existing memory....no problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4M53GY8162&cm_re=KAC-VR316S%2f4G-_-20-239-298-_-Product

Edit:  If you can find the Hynix part on Ebay at reasonable price, then go for it.  I have the aforementioned kingston module and it works perfect (dual channel) with existing Hynix in tc-605 (which has same board as tc-705).

Edit2: Low voltage memory (DDR3L) will work at either 1.35 or 1.5V.  Your existing DDR3L Hynix will run perfectly @ 1.5V as it's a JEDEC standard for your mainboard.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=kac-vr316s/4g

System Specific Memory for Acer Aspire T Series ATC-705

From the world’s independent memory leader. Each module is designed, manufactured, tested and tailored to maximize the performance of a specific brand name computer system.

Showing 2 out of 2 results for System Specific. View All

8GB Module(s)

8GB Module - DDR3 1600MHz

Part Number: D1G64K110  

Specs: DDR3, 1600MHz, Non-ECC, CL11, X8, 1.5V, Unbuffered, DIMM, 240-pin

Buy

4GB Module(s)

4GB Module - DDR3 1600MHz

Part Number: KAC-VR316S/4G  

Specs: DDR3, 1600MHz, Non-ECC, CL11, 1R, X8, 1.5V, Unbuffered, DIMM, 240-pin

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,093 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello Rudy,

I suggest you to buy the same memory module which was shipped with the desktop.

I found two Acer part number of Hynix memory modules for your desktop:

Spoiler
    KN.4GB0G.024DIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600.UNB
    KN.4GB0G.030DIMM.4GB.DDR3L-1600.UNB

You'll find a sticker on the original memory module. Under the bar code, the first ten characters are the part number. I think you have KN4GB0G030. Could you confirm that?

France
  • rfvaneck
    Options

i, Thnx for your reply..i didnt find the numbers you mentioned or any number below the barcode..

label.JPG

just these numbers on the label..there was no label on the flipside.

TY

Rudy

• rfvaneck
    Options

CPU-Z provided me with the same partnumber as on the sticker HMT451U6BFR8A-PB 

• JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options

The problem with buying Hynix is it's too expensive.  Almost double or triple the price because they don't really have a retail arm for their "regular memory".  They started a retail arm for their high end stuff for enthusiast boards this year...which doesn't help.

All you really need is this Kingston module.  It will work fine with your Acer/Intel H81 board, CPU, BIOS and Hynix memory.....and should work in dual channel with existing memory....no problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4M53GY8162&cm_re=KAC-VR316S%2f4G-_-20-239-298-_-Product

Edit:  If you can find the Hynix part on Ebay at reasonable price, then go for it.  I have the aforementioned kingston module and it works perfect (dual channel) with existing Hynix in tc-605 (which has same board as tc-705).

Edit2: Low voltage memory (DDR3L) will work at either 1.35 or 1.5V.  Your existing DDR3L Hynix will run perfectly @ 1.5V as it's a JEDEC standard for your mainboard.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=kac-vr316s/4g

System Specific Memory for Acer Aspire T Series ATC-705

From the world’s independent memory leader. Each module is designed, manufactured, tested and tailored to maximize the performance of a specific brand name computer system.

Showing 2 out of 2 results for System Specific. View All

8GB Module(s)

8GB Module - DDR3 1600MHz

Part Number: D1G64K110  

Specs: DDR3, 1600MHz, Non-ECC, CL11, X8, 1.5V, Unbuffered, DIMM, 240-pin

Buy

4GB Module(s)

4GB Module - DDR3 1600MHz

Part Number: KAC-VR316S/4G  

Specs: DDR3, 1600MHz, Non-ECC, CL11, 1R, X8, 1.5V, Unbuffered, DIMM, 240-pin

• rfvaneck
    Options

Thank you guys..i'm gonna go for those then, tysm for pointing me in the right direction!

Regards

Rudy

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello Rudy,

Hynix HMT451U6BFR8A-PB = KN.4GB0G.030

I found the same memory modules with the shipping so it is not really more expensive.

France
  • JordanB
    Options

@Laurent

204 pin for his 240 pin slot?  Smiley Wink

I'm keeping you on your toes.  Smiley Happy

• rfvaneck
    Options

Ok Guys, today the memorymodule arrived, plugged it in..no beep Smiley Happy but then ..my pc doesn't seem to recognize the module it stil says i have 4GB of memory installed. I removed the module again pushed it in again till i heared it click into place, no joy....swapped places with the other module..still no joy, only 4Gb of memory available..now i'm puzzled Smiley Sad

Edit: Just been reading this on the KIngston site

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Default.aspx?DeviceType=2&Mfr=ACE&Line=Aspire&Model=92054&DisPart=&Description=Kingston_System_Specific_Memory_HyperX_Memory_for_ACE_Aspire_Acer_-_Aspire_T_Series_ATC-705

Aspire T Series ATC-705

Important:

MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN PAIRS for Dual Channel mode.

If 4GB is installed, the recognized memory may be reduced to 3.5GB or less (depending on system configuration and memory allocation). A 64-bit Operating System is required to utilize more than 4GB of memory.

..does that mean i have to have two of same type of memorymodules, because i have two different brands of modules now ?? :/

• JordanB
    Options

Try going in to your BIOS and load defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).

Also, I have a dumb question.  Did you unplug the power cord when you changed memory?

• JordanB
    Options

Here's a Hynix module and a Kingston module running on the same board together in dual channel.

hyking.PNG

• rfvaneck
    Options

Loaded the Bios to Default F9 and then F10 (save and exit) and yes i unplugged the powerchord to the pc when i installed the module..but still Windows 10 says Single chanel mode is used with 4Gb ..grrrr

Which program u used for that graphic??

• JordanB
    Options
  • JordanB
    Options

And then I used windows "snipping tool" that comes with your PC to make screenshot.

• JordanB
    Options

I looked at the part# for a random tc-705 mainboard.  It's the same board that Acer uses for XC-605, TC-605, and TC-705.

DB.SRPCN.001

MB KIT AXC-605 INTEL H81 N/A INTEL HD GRAPHICS RTL8111GA ACER LOGO DTX W/O 1394 V1.0 LF

The screenshot that I posted of the kingston/hynix in dual channel is from that same mainboard.

I'm thinking that you don't have the module installed correctly.  It is a little tricky to install....at least it was for me as I have big hands.  

I didn't have to reset the CMOS.  It just auto-detected when I powered it on.

• rfvaneck
    Options

Here are my specs according to Free Speccy...and it doesn't make me happy Smiley Sad

The module clicked into place so i assume its installed correctly..i also switched places with the Sk Hynix module..

free speccy.png

• JordanB
    Options

Click on "slot #1" and post the screenshot.

I'm thinking that you don't have the module installed correctly.  see my previous post.

• rfvaneck
    Options
  • JordanB
    Options

The kingston module is probably smaller than the hynix.  And it is a little harder to position in the slot.  Be Patient.  Smiley Happy

• rfvaneck
    Options

I'll give it another go in the morning, its way past bedtime now for me..thans for your support so far, i appriciate it very much (thumbs up)

Regards, Rudy