I want to add a second optical drive to my Aspire Tower - ATC-780. Where do I find the parts?

bbatfbc
bbatfbc Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

We purchased this unit with the plan to add a second optical drive. The tech support says that it is impossible to do so with this unit.

This is odd because the case clearly has a slot for the second optical drive.

From my own observation, I believe I would need:

1) a proprietary thin optical drive.

2) a data cable that would access both optical drives (the current cable is for a single unit)

3) an adapter to connect the power to the drive.

4) a plastic bezel for the tray that corresponds to the ATC-780 case.

Very few desktops allow for two drives. This one gave the physical appearance that it would. I could use an external drive, but I would rather have it as a part of the hardware.

Is this an impossible request? Is it a cost prohibitive request?

Best Answer

• bbatfbc
    Answer ✓

I spoke to an Acer Tech Support agent.

While the case appears to accomodate a second optical drive, the motherboard has no data connection for it. My wife is more disappointed by this than I am. I understand that it represents old technology. An external DVD burner will work just as well. The case does not reflect the reality.

I suppose we could still add the drive if:

1. I can purchase the same OEM drive and bezel that came with the unit. (I do not know where to find that)
    2. I install an SATA card and attach the data cable to that.

This sounds expensive.

So, if you are hoping to add an optical drive to this unit, it is not practical, if not impossible.

Answers

• bbatfbc
    Answer ✓

I spoke to an Acer Tech Support agent.

While the case appears to accomodate a second optical drive, the motherboard has no data connection for it. My wife is more disappointed by this than I am. I understand that it represents old technology. An external DVD burner will work just as well. The case does not reflect the reality.

I suppose we could still add the drive if:

1. I can purchase the same OEM drive and bezel that came with the unit. (I do not know where to find that)
    2. I install an SATA card and attach the data cable to that.

This sounds expensive.

So, if you are hoping to add an optical drive to this unit, it is not practical, if not impossible.

• nevadaflyboy
    nevadaflyboy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Or replace the hard drive with an SSD on the M.2 connector.

See instructions here http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/windows-10-on-SSD-added-to-ATC-780-AMZi5/m-p/472300#M9728

then you can use the old hard drive connectors for the 2nd optical drive  AND you will have a much quicker computer. Smiley Happy

• nevadaflyboy
    nevadaflyboy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Or replace the hard drive with an SSD on the M.2 connector.

See instructions here http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/windows-10-on-SSD-added-to-ATC-780-AMZi5/m-p/472300#M9728

then you can use the old hard drive connectors for the 2nd optical drive  AND you will have a much quicker computer. Smiley Happy

• Moparth
    Moparth Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did you ever get the second optical drive installed ?  I'm doing the same thing, I've added a SATA card and have a used optical drive with the same part number but not the correct bezel, guess I'm going to contact Acer to see if I can just purchase the bezel.