windows 10 on SSD added to ATC-780-AMZi5

Options
nevadaflyboy
nevadaflyboy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

What is the easiest way to add an SSD to an ATC-780-AMZi5 and then transfer the Windows 10 op system to the SSD?

Answers

• Angoid
    Angoid Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

I presume this is your box:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/DT.B59AA.002

Looks like it doesn't have any spare SATA bays in it, which means some more hardware if you're looking to add an SSD (instead of replace your existing HDD).

Thus you'll need, in addition to the SSD itself, a power splitter cable for SATA such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Power-Splitter-Cable-Adapter/dp/B002N2EHVQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1437466416&sr=1-1&keywords=sata+power+splitter+cable

Then you'll need to use one of your PCIe ports to create a SATA port or two.  I used a card like this one when I did a similar upgrade to an Aspire X3200:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Port-SATA-Express-Controller/dp/B003GS8VA4

Then you may also need a SATA data cable, possibly with a right-angle connector - you'll have to look in your box to see the best way to do this electrically:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Right-Angle-Serial-Cable/dp/B0001Y8UI4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1437466761&sr=1-1&keywords=sata+data+cable

Now when I did a similar upgrade, I didn't copy my existing Windows 10 installation: instead, I did a clean install to the SSD and then re-installed all my applications.  At the same time, I partitioned the disk to separate data from system.

However, if you're looking to migrate your Windows 10 installation from the HDD to SSD, then take a look at this:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/26152/how-to-move-windows-10-from-your-old-hard-drive-to-ssd

If you want my story - I also took advice (elsewhere) when I did this ... then take a look here:

http://www.suggest-a-fix.com/index.php?/topic/1313-possible-ssd-upgrade-path-or-not/?hl=x3200

(quite long, and not all of it will be relevant to you).

Good luck!

• nevadaflyboy

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks.

I am using an M.2 SSL that will attach directly to the motherboard, so I am thinking I will not need to add SATA connectors.

So far, I formatted the SSL with a 100mb Fat32 partition to hold the boot files; and the rest formatted NTFS.

My plan is to use the included 2TB hard drive for storage.

I will let you know how it goes.

And again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Steve

• nevadaflyboy

Tinkerer

Options

OKEE-DOKEE, it turns out it is pretty easy to add an SSD to this computer and still be able to use the 2TB hard drive and the DVD drive.

Here is what I did and my computer now boots in 13 secs, and runs like a thoroughbred.

1. Buy a M.2 type SSD.  I got the Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (CT525MX300SSD4) on Amazon for $129.

2. Get software that makes backups and swapping OS easy.  I picked up EaseUS Todo Backup Home from the www.easeus.com website.  List price was $29.  I got it for $17.40 using the discount code: UPGD-4WLG.  You might be able to do this with the free version of EaseUS Backup Free.  I did not try it, but definitely worth a try if you already have a good backup program.  I like the way their backup program works so for me the $17.40 seemed like a  great deal. 

3. load the EaseUS software and use it to create both an Emergency Disk (I did it on a blank CD), and a System Backup to an external drive.  I have a Seagate external, but I think you can just use a flash drive.

4. Turn off the computer and install the M.2 SSD.  If you search this site, there are some good photos of where to find the spot on the motherboard that is designed for an M.2 SSD.  It is a simple slot and one screw (which Crucial provided).

5. You need to prepare the SSD for the System backup (these do not come formatted since they are sold for PCs, Macs, Linux, etc), so restart the computer.  It should start normally since it is still relying on the 2 TB hard drive for the OS. Right click the Windows button and open Disk Management. Your new SSD should appear as Disk 0.

6. Notice that Disk 1 (your 2TB harddrive) has an EFI partition of 100mb.  So create a partition on Disk 0 (your SSD)of 100mb.  Format it as FAT32 (ie. the same as how Disk 1 appears).   I also made the rest of Disk 0 as another partition and formatted it as a basic NTFS disk.

7. Restart the computer and put in the Emergency Disk.  You want to boot from this disk, but first I again turned off the computer (now that it has the Emergency disk left in) and I unplugged the SATA cable from the 2 TB harddrive.  I did this so that if I screwed anything up, I would not screw up the OS and important stuff on that harddrive.  By doing this, you can always get back to the beginning without hurting your computer. 

Then I restarted the computer went to the Boot menu in the BIOS.  You need to be quick to press the DEL key as the computer starts to get to the BIOS screen.  There is a very small message at the bottom left of the screen that tells you this, but it disappears fast so be sure to hit the DEL key as soon as you see that message.

8. From the BIOS menu, you can change the boot sequence to make the DVD drive the first boot drive.  Save the changes and exist the BIOS screen. The computer should re-start and tell you to press any key if you want to boot from the DVD--which you do, so press any key.  it will take a few minutes for the computer to boot with the emergency disk.  Be patient.  Once it fully boots, it takes you to the familiar EaseUS screen that you used to create the emergency disk and the earlier system backup.

9. Restore the System Backup (I have it on the external drive which is still connected).  It will ask you where to restore it.  You will point to the 100mb EFI partition that you created on the SSD.   It will warn you that data may be deleted on the SSD-- no worries, nothing is on the SSD yet.  Go ahead and tell it to proceed with the restore.  It took maybe 8 minutes to run.  That may depend on the type of media you stored the backup on.

10.  It will tell you when it is finished.  Then remove the Emergency Disk and restart the computer.  I jumped into the BIOS and changed the boot order back to Windows Manager first, then DVD, etc., and let it restart.

The computer should now be running off the SSD and should look just like it did when you first took it out of the box when it was still running on the 2TB harddrive.  EXCEPT, it is so so much faster.  Mine now boots in 13 secs.

Once you are fully satisfied that everything is working, then turn it all off and reconnect the SATA cable to the 2 TB harddrive.  You will probably want to get rid of the EFI partition and other partitions on this disk.  Thats what I did and made it all one big storage disk.  Usually you can just go to Disk Management and right click to delete partitions so you can make a new one that you like.  But, EFI and Recovery partitions are protected so you need to do some very simple command line changes.  Yes, it is very simple.  Watch this video---- https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+delete+efi+system+disk+partition+windows+10&docid=608033831288048726&mid=400086D39A7E45B72747400086D39A7E45B72747&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

It is really very easy.

Voila.  You now have a very very fast computer with a very very large storage capacity.

I love this computer.  Acer has really done a nice job, and with a few changes (above) it is an amazing computer.

Steve

Nevadaflyboy