How do I update the bios on Aspire XC-603G?

ThatGuyJay
ThatGuyJay Member Posts: 10 New User

I've been trying everything I can think of the run the BIOS update.

I downloaded it and read the (poor) instructions.

-I've disabled secure boot

-Creted windows bootable USB disk using "diskpart"

-coppied the BIOS files to USB

Boot menu WILL NOT show USB drive.

I tried enableing CSM in the BIOS, the drives comesup but it says there is no OS.

I tried coppying windows boot disk files to the drive, still won't work.

Why the heck isn't there a GUI utility to flash the BIOS update??

What am I missing here?

I also tried creating a windows 8 recovery USB disk, went to "advanced" and "command prompt". When I tried to run the file BIOS_FLASH.BAT I got an error that "this version of afudos.exe is not compatable wit hthis version of DOS".

Well the computer is less than a year old and it came with windows 8, so what the heck am I supposed to do??

UPDATE: The exact error I get when trying to boot to USB is "reboot and select proper boot device". I've even tried to use other tools for creating bootable USBs like Rufus, with free-DOS and I get the same error.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

don't use FreeDOS on Rufus but MS-DOS, set the USB flash drive format to FAT32.

once created the bootablet MS-DOS USB flash drive, copy the BIOS files.

set your desktop BIOS to Legacy and enable CSM, now try to boot from the USB flash drive.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ThatGuyJay

Thanks ACE but I tried that, I get that "insert a proper bootable media" error.

There is no "legacy" mode in this version of the BIOS, but yes, I have CSM enabled.

I'm thinking the old bios version is part of the sturggle I'm having. There are about 5 versions of the bios that include bug fixes and all kinds of things since the version that came on the computer when I bought it new, a few months ago.

Isn't there a way to flash the bios in windows? I'm goin crazy trying everything. It's like I'm stuck in a catch 22, I need a bios update to boot to USB, and I need to boot to USB to run the bios update!

• IronFly

Have you tried with another USB flash drive?

(sometimes a smaller one is better for BIOS flash, 1 to 4 GB)

i can't check BIOS versions now, since i'm getting service not available on the support website. Smiley Happy

• IronFly

on BIOS, do you have any secure boot option?

it must be under Authentication, you must set it to disable or it will not boot from other OS.

• ThatGuyJay

Yea, secure boot is disabled. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post but I did mention it's disabled.

I'm using a 2GB flash drive.

This isn't to say I've never gotten a USB drive to boot. I've run Tails from USB fine. What I can't do is make a DOS compatable bootup disk to run the BIOS update. Windows 8 doesn't have the ability to make a DOS boot disk, so I'm really not sure why Acer decided to take this approch. 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Why are you creating a bootable drive USB drive?  I downloaded P11.B2 and read the instructions.  It didn't say anything about creating a partition or creating a bootable drive.  I didn't read anything about disabling secure boot or enabling csm in the instructions.

It came with windows 8, but what operating system do you have on it now?

Those Acer instructions don't specifically tell you to copy the bios files to different drive, but the photo shows it on a d: data drive....and not the C:\ drive.

• IronFly

what's your BIOS version, right now?

• IronFly

the only BIOS i can find for XC-603G is P11.B2A

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P11.B2_A_A.zip?acerid=635465135947001421&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20XC-603G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6#_ga=1.148690487.1650522051.1412414371

and have both Windows and DOS version, so under windows you can run the exe inside the WIN folder to update your BIOS.

• JordanB

Actually, thats all you have to do is double click it, because there isn't any DOS file.  Only windows.

On TC-605, they have DOS.

So just double click it like it tells you to in the instructions.

• ThatGuyJay

Jordan, I've read the PDF 100 times. There is no windows installer, there are 3 items in the .zip file, a directory named "DOS" a directory named "ROM" and a readme.pdf

I double clicked the .bat file in windows and it said it's an MS-DOS program.

• JordanB

We must be looking at two different BIOS instructions and files.

Which specific BIOS are you looking at?

• ThatGuyJay

So, I was able to use an application called RMPrep to install FreeDOS and get it to boot. When I run the bat file BIOS_DOS.BAT I get the error "rom file romid is not compatible with bios romid"...

I'm using the file I downloaded from here: Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 2.34.56 AM.JPG

I'm reading a sticker on the size of my PC that says what the model is.

Why is this so hard ACER?? This compuer is still almost brand new!

• ThatGuyJay

Yup, you're on the right track. I checked my BIOS version at startup and it's currently P11.A1

• JordanB

ok.  so flash P11.B2  but first put your existing BIOS settings back to where they're supposed to be (I assume defaults).

Don't try to flash P11.B2L   L is for Linux

P11.B2 is just windows flash.  read those instructions.  they're much simpler.

• JordanB

I've asked Acer Justin to see if they can write better descriptions for the BIOS on TC-605.  Sounds like they need to do the same with XC-603G.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/TC-605-Bios/m-p/356954

• ThatGuyJay

I'm looking at the one from the screen shot, and it's not working at all. I'm getting an error that the ROMID doesn't match the current ROMID. It won't run the update.

Where / how did you get to the version you're seeing. I'd really like to try it because this isn't going anywhere at all for me.

• ThatGuyJay

OK maybe we're onto something. But if I reset the BIOS to defaults, I'd be turning off CSM and enabling secure boot.

I very well may be running linux on this box at some point though...

• JordanB

use the link below.  click desktop.  click aspire.  click xc-603G

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

BIOSAcerSupport "Launch CSM" item in BIOS setup menu.P11.B2
  • JordanB

What operating system do you have now?

• JordanB

The screenshot has 4 BIOS files.  so I have no idea which one you're talking about unless you are more specific.