How do I update the bios on Aspire XC-603G?

Options
2»

Answers

• ThatGuyJay
    ThatGuyJay Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

I've got win8.1 currently.

I have to give you some credit for at least getting me up to the B version.

I d/l it and ran it in windows and it did flash the BIOS.

I tried to install the "L" verision again and I still get the same error. "rom file romid is not compatible with bios romid"

I've always been used to installing the latest version of the BIOS, this is still confusing to me why they would have a windows flasher hidden twixt the other versions that don't run.

And I still don't know why I can't get the "L" version to run.

If you missed it, the only tool I could find that could make a bootable "dos" USB stick uses freeDOS, I don't think that could be the cause of the "ROM file ROMID not compatable" error, right?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    No, I don't think that's the reason it's not compatible. But I'm glad I'm not the only one confused. If you read that thread I started a couple days ago.....I'm still confused.

I looked at some Acer Veriton BIOS and some of them say L for Linux, but in the very same BIOS description it will also say for UEFI windows 8.1.

So the BIOS description reads something like this:

"L is for Linux (Windows 8.1 UEFI)"

But they also have a description that says "windows 8.1 UEFI" of the same bios without the "L"

My BIOS came with P11.XX. Apparently I'm not supposed to be using P21.XX because it won't work on my system. But it's on there now and working.....so I don't have a clue what's going on in those Acer BIOS staff meetings. Hopefully they're reading this thread. Smiley Wink
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ThatGuyJay
    ThatGuyJay Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

OK well, without your help I have have gone nowhere on this issue, so I truly apriciate your input. I have no idea how you figured out "L" versions are for linux, when they have no documentation that designates it as such!

Come on Acer! Up your game!

• qmco
    qmco Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

SOLUTION:  You need to start with windows 10 and work backwards.

First, go to the drivers and support page and download the BIOS update...

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Next, download the proper support package, which includes flash updates in several formats -- one of them being updating WHILE IN WINDOWS.   

Extract the contents of the ZIP archive to a flash drive.

Finally, boot the Acer Aspire normally into Windows 10.  Insert the flash drive with the BIOS update.  Go to the WIN folder and double-click the batch file called Flash.bat

A small black terminal (command prompt) window will appear and there may be several "Are You Sure" questions.  Once the process begins, the BIOS will be updated in about 2 minutes.

DONE!

When you reboot and press DEL for the Setup screen, you'll have the version of BIOS that lets you downgrade to whatever O/S you like.