Bios Update for Acer Aspire 3000 / Battery Issues

dmmackay
dmmackay Member Posts: 5 New User

So I got a couple of Acer Aspire 3000's that weren't working and got one to work..

But, It seems i'm having some issues when the battery is in it - and otherwise fine without it.
Excessively Long Shut Downs which go to Continuous Reboots/ Touchpad Problems, Freezing, etc.

Says battery is charging until it goes to @ 7-8% .  Then Battery not Charging.

When the Power Adaptor was disconnected- said Battery is Charging??? 

Since these laptops have been sitting around for a couple/few of years.. and were donated to me.. I won't discount the possiblity that battery is no good. And there was only 1 battery to use of the 2 laptops.

After it charged to 7-8% - I had unplugged the adaptor- and it ran for @ 20 min.  and said "1hr 30 min remaining" till it went dead.

I also tried tried the - Remove Battery- Unplug Adaptor and Hold Power Button for 2 min Method- then Installed battery and Adaptor- but to no avail...

(On a side note- which is probably not related- my wifi does not seem to be working- even though it appears there is nothing wrong in the Device Manager.- and running a dianostic does not help...I know there's wireless networks but none show up! Broadcom 802.11g)

Anyway- I seen a post on another site- saying a BIOS UPDATE could possibly fix the Problem for the Battery- (Perhaps wifi too)...

Since I've NEVER DONE A BIOS UPDATE; I will KINDLY ask, Please walk me though this... with as little as ACKRONYNS and GEEK TALK as Possible (Respectfully).  I had read about this type of thing - to download the Bios Update... and I think it can be put on a Falsh Drive- but is it a ZIP and does it have to be EXTACTED- which i'm not too great at? Then "Select (something?) and then maybe reboot... So, now I'm willing to give it a try- With some help and input.  THANKING YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!!  a Link for the Download and Correct BIOS UPDATE would be a Great Start.. as well - I guesss that goes without saying.

So here's some Specs from System Info: ( I hope it's enough- but please let me know if you need more)

Acer Aspire 3000 System Info

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dmmackay

Thank You Very Much, IronFly!

I checked out the Phlash- seems pretty simple with those instructions.  And since I'm using a desktop - and have the laptop beside me- EASY PEASY...  Smiley Happy

Quesitons before starting:
    1.When I download the BIOS update to a Flash - and extract it- I see I have 2 folders on my Flash Drive-
    1 with the extracted files- and 1 with the Zip folder-
    Would you recommend that I delete the Zip Folder now, or does it matter?

2..You don't have to do Progressive Bios Updates.. Just the latest one?

3.. Step 6 gives me this Screen- with "Accessories" as the Highlighted folder- whereas; in the instruction looks different?
    Here's what I get when running it:
    IMG_2160.JPG

Instructions in Phlash view as this:
    Bios Update.PNG

I'm guessing I leave it as default "Accessories" Folder and continue- Since the Next Steps (7&8)

look the same (as below)  a Check in the Box for "Start WinPhlash" and I would then / Click Finish - and let it run or install....

Bios Update 2.PNG

• IronFly
    1 doesn't matter
    2 just the last if not requested by the flasher
    3 use the default settings
  • dmmackay

Step 9 was a bit tricky for me- and I had to think a bit about it- Since the Default  was not Selected as "Flash Drive" and I had to find the Folder -  But,

SUCCESS!!!
    Thanks IronFly... Greatly Appreciate your Help and Timely Replies  Man Very Happy

Now, I'll try the Battery and see if that has made any difference.

• IronFly
    You welcome. Smiley Happy
  • dmmackay

The Bios Update, Unfortunately did not resolve any of the problems I was having:
    Battery still does not charge/ Long shut downs and skips to reboots / freezes - all still continue-- Which I will Contribute them all to PERHAPS; a Bad Battery being installed, Since, they do not occur when the battery is removed. Man Sad

As for the wifi- I didn't realize there was a button on the front to click, to eneable it... till i did a google search. Man Embarassed