A210 won't upgrade to Jelly Bean

Options
billcowell
billcowell Member Posts: 10 New User

I am trying to upgrade my new A210 to Jelly Bean but can't get the upgrade to work. I downloaded the JB OS file from the Acer site but when I extract it (on a Win 8 laptop) there is no update.zip file as described in the instructions, but several folders full of files and a bootloader.blob file. I transferred all the files to the SD card but the upgrade won't take. I also tried loading the downloaded zip file to the SD card, but still no upgrade. The SD card has other files (pictures, music) on it - does that matter?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, should I bother upgrading from ICS to JB?

Best Answer

• billcowell
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many thanks, Mati. Managed to upgrade with your help. For some reason the procedure to install the upgrade seems different for tablets bought in the US than for those bought in Europe. Had to consult the Acer US site for the correct instructions.

Answers

• billcowell
    Options

Still can't upgrade. Has anyone been able to upgrade an A210 using the Acer download? Did the download have an update.zip file? I really would appreciate some help. Thank you.

• Mati
    Mati Member Posts: 59

Tinkerer

Options

Hi,

grab file and rename it to update.zip then try to upgrade =]

• billcowell
    Options

Tried that, but it doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

• Mati

Tinkerer

Options

inside pack from acer download you have update.zip and also SOP how to do this, this way is not so easy so many times you can miss the proper triger with launch recovery.

simple copy update.zip to main folder of SD and be sure card is FAT32

• billcowell
    Options

Mati wrote:

inside pack from acer download you have update.zip and also SOP how to do this, this way is not so easy so many times you can miss the proper triger with launch recovery.

simple copy update.zip to main folder of SD and be sure card is FAT32

That's the point. There is no update.zip file or instructions in the download, but a series of folders with .apk and other files inside. It looks like the file I downloaded from Acer.UK site has a different content to the one used in the online instructions. Anyone from Acer able to comment or help?

• Mati

Tinkerer

Options
    ***** ... direct link is not allowed here but maybe via PM its will be ok =] i will send you link to pack with i just test.
  • billcowell
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many thanks, Mati. Managed to upgrade with your help. For some reason the procedure to install the upgrade seems different for tablets bought in the US than for those bought in Europe. Had to consult the Acer US site for the correct instructions.

• jredding
    jredding Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

hey man i have the same problem with the files not matching is there anyway you can send me the correct files or instruct me on how to do the update?

• Mati

Tinkerer

Options
    will gona send you same info via PM
  • poija01
    poija01 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Guys - I have a  similar problem as Bill. My sons A210 says "up to date" but is at 4.0.4.  I've got the download from acer on the SD card renamed update.zip. But holding the volume up button and Power button never gets me to the point of upgrading.

The white power light never comes on when I hold the power and up volume buttons down.

I do get vibrations. if I let go of the power button after the 1st vibration the tablet starts in safe mode.

I never get to the "Erasing Cache before SD update...." point that Acer support site describes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks - Jim 

• Silvermare
    Silvermare Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I recieved the same folder with a bunch of stuff but I too cannot find the instrustions. Please help. I have already formatted my SD card as well. I am ready Smiley Happy

• billcowell
    Options

The US instructions can be found here:-

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29931/kw/update%20os%20using%20sd%20card%20on%20android%20tablet/sno/1

Hope it works for you. It really is worth the effort, the A210 is superb with Jelly Bean, much smoother and faster.

• billcowell
    Options

Apologies, I sent you the standard instructions that didn't work for me. There are more detailed instructions here that worked for me

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26778/kw/android%20tablet%20upgrade

Good luck.

• poija01
    poija01 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks Bill, it took several (dozen) tries to get it to go to boot mode but I finally got it and the upgrade went great. I am now at 4.1.1 and my son is happy.

Thanks again.

Jim

• edfru2
    edfru2 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I downloaded the update file on my PC and saved it with the original (very long) file name on my fat 32 formatted SD card. DO NOT EXTRACT THE ZIPPED FILE. I then inserted the card into the tablet and booted into recovery mode. from there, I followed the instructions, volume button down and power button on at the sme time. after power on vibrate, quickly release the power button. at second smaller vibrate, quickly release volume down and press volume up. you may feel another quick vibrate monmentairily. recovery mode will start. pick the upgrade from external option and select it using the volume down and then power button as per instructions.the zip file name will now show up. if you left it as the original file name , it will sow. if you renamed it update.zip when you saved it, that is what will show up. anyway from there on, after selecting it, all you need is a reboot if I remember correctly. the process works fine.

I had emailed acer support and their first answer was since update.zip was missing, I would need to send my tablet in for service. shipping each way would be my responsibility. As I had the tablet less than 30 days, I found that unacceptable.I wrote and stated that. They they sent me some instructions but again, use the word extract instead of save etc etc. they also said the update would wipe the tablet data..not true. a factory reset would wipe it but skipping that spe and going directly into the upgrade preserved my settings, data, downloaded apps etc.it is apparent that their technical support is less than stellar. Is it a language barrier...I don't know. I am just glad the guy at Best Buy Geek(where I purchased e tablet) Squad advised me to try using the entire zip file unextracted. that worked and my tablet seems to be so much more responsive. Thanks Best Buy and Geek Squad .
  • hughjaas
    hughjaas Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I know this is pretty far after the fact, hopefully it will help someone else down the road:

After countless attempts and a waste of a good 1/2 day, I finally got it to work. I'm in the US, but the US version did not work. I went to the UK site and downloaded the version from there, and even though the zip file is named exactly the same as the US download, my A210 accepted it on the first attempt. I didn't have to rename it to 'update.zip' and I didn't have to unzip it. I just copied it to my SD card and it worked like it should.

It runs very smoothly with Jelly Bean.

• ekalwa
    ekalwa Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

BillCowell's post of the "more detailed" o/s install instructions worked for me:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26778/kw/android%20tablet%20upgrade

I used the US Jelly Bean 4.1.1 o/s update (zip-file), and didn't have to use the UK version.

Thanks to everybody who posted on this topic in this forum! My 4.1.1 o/s is working fine, and seems a bit faster and smoother too.

Cheers!

• fmmagyar
    fmmagyar Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Mati:  Would you be so kind as to also send me the upgrade package as i am having the same problem here in the USA.  Can not find the update.exe file.  Thanking you before hand for your response and assistance

• hughjaas
    hughjaas Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

fmmagyar wrote:

Mati:  Would you be so kind as to also send me the upgrade package as i am having the same problem here in the USA.  Can not find the update.exe file.  Thanking you before hand for your response and assistance

Have you tried the UK version? Here's the link:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/OS/OS/OS_Acer_Acer.AV051.A210.RV07RC02.EMEA.GB_A41J_A.zip?acerid=634890861893525770&Step1=TABLET&Step2=ICONIA%20A&Step3=A210&OS=A10&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=EMEA_27

Or go here: http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers/4448;-;A210 choose Android 4.1 then select the O.S. tab.

• fmmagyar
    fmmagyar Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Thank you.  I have downloaded and extracted to mscard.  I have followed instructions to hold down volume button and release power button first vibration.  Have tried tohold down volume button for second vibration but in some cases it was very qiuick or not at all.  How long is this suppose to take for the vibration and the to get the kernel to appear.   I have in th epast gotton as far as safe mode and no more.  Approximatel  how long to wait for eac step, perhaps i am not being patient enough.

This discussion has been closed.