Installing Windows after upgrading to SSD (R7 572-6423)

Options
mspin_
mspin_ Member Posts: 1 New User

I recently bought a Crucial M500 SSD to put in my R7 572-6423 to replace the standard 1TB Western Digital HD it came with. I purchased a recovery usb stick from the Acer store. However, after booting from the USB stick and trying to partition the ssd it gives an error message saying " M:\NAPP.dat is miss ".

Am I doing something incorrectly? Or is it not possible to use the recovery stick with the new SSD? Is the stick only meant for the Western Digital drive? If so, is there any way I can install windows on the new SSD without a DVD drive?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. And you probably can do what you want. But you may have to jump thru a few hoops to prove that you're worthy. 8^) Refer to this and report back http://community.acer.com/t5/Software-Solutions-and/Acer-Recovery-USB-Not-Working/td-p/203763

Thanks

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• miguel69
    miguel69 Member Posts: 54 New User
    Options

you didn't mention what size your SSD is but since the largest one is 960GB you will need to shrink your DATA or OS partitions so the total size is equal or smaller than the new drive then you can use imaging or migration software to clone everything to the new drive.  there are lots of free options for both partitioning and imaging software.

I have also seen in other posts if your machine uses the new UEFI type BIOS you might have to change some options there so it will play with a drive change.

This discussion has been closed.