resolving ao722 blank black screen annoyance?

Options
JackE
JackE ACE Posts: 44,581 Trailblazer

Hello. My first post here. Hope someone has the answer to my problem.

Ever since I purchased my AO722 (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP 6.1.7601) it would occasionally cold boot with a blank black screen (no visible light coming from the screen whatsoever) even before the operating system loads. That is, the Acer Bios screen (V1.05, 08/24/2011) would NOT even display.

I found a way around this annoyance was to wait for the melody sound that indicates Windows 7 has completely loaded. I then press the sequential keystroke combination to shut the computer off (Windows key + right arrow key + enter key). On cold rebooting, the screen usually re-appears in the normal manner.

Would installing the v1.08 BIOS upgrade from v1.05 resolve this occasional blank black screen behavior on cold booting? I hesitate to do this without some confirmation that the old v1.05 BIOS is causing this annoying blank black screen cold boot behavior.

Thanks

JackE 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• HK53T
    HK53T Member Posts: 767 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

sounds like a problem with LCD that should have been corrected with service a long time ago

BIOS would not affect this

• JackE
    Options

Thanks for the reply. You say it's not the bios. So, do you have any comments on this fix that appears on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHkGkw9EE8c The issue on this video is exactly the issue I seem to have. And the claim it was indeed the bios.

I am reluctant to mess with updating the bios as the video suggests. Another contributor here suggested I just F2 to  get into the existing bios, F9 to reset to factory defaults and F10 to save and exit to see what happens. Resetting the bios to the factory defaults seems to have resolved his problems. Again, I'd appreciate hearing your comments on why you don't think the bios could be the problem in this case.

Thanks

Jack E?NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

Hi again HK53T. Here's the link to the other contributor's suggested fix. Your comments please.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Blank-Black-Screen/m-p/94801#U94801

Thanks again

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HK53T
    HK53T Member Posts: 767 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

reloading BIOS defaults is easy, no problem

it if works, great!

have looked at that video and it is for very old system, AOA110, not AO722

• JackE
    Options

Thanks for the new replies HK. The blank black screen problem seems to be a common ailment based on the number of threads posted that seem to be related this in the last few weeks. The youtube video, even though on an older netbook, offered a bios update solution that seemed to work. At any rate, as I said earlier, I haven't had the problem for a while --- so knock on wood that it doesn't return. 8^)

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.