Blank Black Screen?

Options
JackE
JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer

My AO722 occasionally cold boots to a blank black screen. There is no visible light coming from the screen whatsoever at any time after being powered on and during the entire boot process. No Acer bios startup screen. No Win7-64 start up screen. No nothing. Just a blank black screen. The only indication that Win7-64 home premium has successfully loaded is the sound of the Win7 startup melody.

The only way around this intermittant black screen problem is to wait for the Win7 startup melody to finish. Then press the sequential keystroke combo (WinKey + RightArrowKey + EnterKey) to shut the system down normally. Then, on cold-reboot, the screen usually re-appears as normal.

I've heard rumors that the V1.05 BIOS (08/24/2011) may be the problem. I'm reluctant to mess with a bios upgrade to the v1.08 without at least some encouragement from knowledgable ACER folks that this upgrade might indeed resolve this intermittent blank black screen problem.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

btt

Jack E/NJ

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

You're right to say that the bios would be involved, and it's understandable that you wouldn't want to mess with updating it. What I've done in the past to fix this problem is to reload bios defaults. You can access your bios by pressing F2 while loading your system. Once you're in press F9 to reload default settings, then F10 to save and exit. Confirm by pressing Y. Hopefully this helps!

• JackE
    Options

Thanks Scotty. Reloading the existing v1.05 defaults doesn't scare me so much. I'll give it a whirl when I'm feeling more adventuressome than I do today and see what happens. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ScottyC
    Options
    Awesome, it's very easy to do. And I do mean very. As in, even if your screen is off you can follow my instructions and it will still work haha. Either way I hope it works for you.

Realistically if it doens't work and you're in warranty you're likely going to have to send the unit for repairs anyway. In that case I would say backup your files and try to flash the bios. Even if it doesn't work "which really it should" you'll just have to send it to Acer regardless. So the two possible outcomes are don't try to flash it and send the unit to Acer, or try to flash it and maybe avoid having to. Best of luck with this and have a good day.
  • JackE
    Options

Thanks again Scotty. I'm pretty comfortable maneuvering around the bios settings ---- when I can see them. 8^) I still hold my breath every time I hafta press the normal shutdown key combo (WinKey + RightArrowKey + EnterKey) when there's no screen to look at. The F2 + F9 + F10 key bios combo doesn't sound too intimidating when I can see them. When I can't, I'll just hold my breath as usual.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

Oooops. Forgot to include the +Y key. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

I'm going btt on this one in hopes that HK53T will chime in again on this issue

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

So far so good Scolty --- knock on wood. Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ScottyC
    Options
    No problem, glad to help. I had figured that would take care of it. Now I don't mean to sound petty but a quick kudos would be appreciated. I'm starting to realize that despite the help I give I see very few of them, which is kind of a let down haha. Anyway, take care and I hope this continues to work. If the problem persists feel free to post back here or send me a private message and I'll be glad to try and help you out.
This discussion has been closed.