Acer Aspire M3970

Options
MisterBRabbit
MisterBRabbit Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi all,

Yes, it is an old (2012) computer Smiley Happy

It has been updated to Windows 10 since the software came out.

Recently, the computer was trying to update, and kept freezing on 88%.

Now the computer won't start.  When I turn the power on, no key presses seem to get it to start up.  The screen doesn't even wake up from standby.

Darn updates.

Any suggestions please?

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

This could be a hard disk problem with very few possibilities on clearing the fault.

So turn everything off, with everything OFF press and hold the power on button on the machine.  Nothing, maybe an led will flash, should happen except it discharging inside.

Find how to access the BIOS and how to initiate the recovery area.  NB: Any recovery or re-install could LOSE YOUR DATA.

I have a separate DVD to install windows 10, which can be made from the Microsoft website, it is a lengthy download and needs a USB stick, or preferably a blank DVD.  Make your own install dvd.

When in the BIOS change the boot order to boot from the CD/DVD first and insert a DVD. 

Hopefully it will boot.  If you have gotten this far, I suggest you ask again.

Installing over existing data needs to be avoided.

Please indicate how comfortable you are with the procedures.

• MisterBRabbit
    MisterBRabbit Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks very much for your advice. I have no idea how to access the bios. I have tried pressing the 

<DEL> and the function keys to no avail.

• camera144
    camera144 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have 2 Gateway FX deshtops with Acer M3970 motherboards running Windows 10, 64 bit operating systems.  When Microsoft tried to update a feature in version 1703, both computers ground away for several hours and crashed at 88%.  I had to use the on/off switch to shut down.  On the second ar third try the system would restart to a previous version.  Microsoft told me that it was due to Gateway not updating the motherboard drivers to Windows 10.  Microsoft will not permit me to decline the update so I will go back to Windows 7 which came with the computer.

• Pauliieee
    Pauliieee Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Same problem over here. Since windows 10 came with the free upgrade version of windows 7 to windows 10. Now i got a update and my computer also got stuck @ 88% and was completly unmanageable. Then used after 2 days! of waiting for a eventualy suddenly continue progress of installing this update. (Which was a loss of time, because it didnt turn out the way i hoped for) i disconnected the power supply. Then after booting without any kind of usb or recovery software i boot up the computer and it got stuck in the loading screen giving me the wathdog violation error. (multiple sites say it could be a problem with the power management in my computer but dont see how this is a problem because of this computer Always worked fine until this update. (finaly i used the recovery discs of my pc and it runs as old as ***** on windows 7) installing windows 10 know takes directly the unwanted update involved. Please fix this problem for myself and more of the users which use this model. M3970.
  • Pauliieee
    Pauliieee Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    --- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.0.0.29 --- IPDT64 - Start Time: 4-12-2017 22:34:23   -------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Testing -------------------------------------------------------------------- CPU 1 - SPBC - Pass. CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass. CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass. CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass. CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass. CPU 1 - Cache - Pass. CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass. CPU 1 - FMA - Pass. CPU 1 - AVX - Pass. CPU 1 - IMC - Pass. CPU 1 - PCH - Pass. CPU 1 - IGD - Pass. CPU 1 - GFX - Pass. CPU 1 - CPULoad - Pass. CPU 1 - CPU Frequency - Pass.   IPDT64 Passed --- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.0.0.29 --- IPDT64 - End Time: 4-12-2017 22:39:11   -------------------------------------------------------------------- PASSthis result came out of a test run by intel processor testing software. i think microsoft is bullyin me.