Acer aspire r5-471t Display distortion after sleep

Options
DeanE
DeanE Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Just recently after waking my laptop from sleep mode the display is completely distorted. When I move my mouse I can see a block moving around on the screen but nothing is legible. I have to restart the laptop a couple of times to fix the issue. Is this a known problem and more importantly is there a suggested fix?

Answers

• Whalensdad
    Whalensdad Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

I'm having the EXACT same issue and it just started like you. I looked in my windows update and it looks like there was an Intel Display Driver update yesterday. I'm going to try and back it out.

• Whalensdad
    Whalensdad Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

The issue seems to be the driver. I just encountered the same problem and looked at windows update. Sure enough there was an Intel Display Driver installed yesterday (when my problems started). I went into device manager and rolled back the display driver and the problem has gone away.

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

You can stop Windows updating your drivers, go to Control Panel, System and Security, System, click Advanced system settings in the left pane, go to Hardware tab in the next window, click Device Installation settings and select No radio button, click Apply and OK.

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

• SHELWIG
    SHELWIG Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Can someone give me step by step on how to remove this update? I have tried but I am not having any luck...I am very new at this and really uncertain about what I am doing.  Thanks

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,111 Trailblazer
    Options

SHELWIG wrote:

Can someone give me step by step on how to remove this update? I have tried but I am not having any luck...I am very new at this and really uncertain about what I am doing.  Thanks

Hi,

Go to acer support site and download the driver(snip), extract it to your Desktop, go to Device manager(right click start), expand Display adapters, highlight the graphics and right click, click uninstall this device. Do not reboot, go to your extracted driver folder in Desktop and open it, right click Setup file and select "Run as Admin". That's it, the driver will be installed and make sure you disable Windows installing drivers as in the previous post.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6397?b=1

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

• SHELWIG
    Options
    I have downloaded the driver but it won't let me go into the set up and run as admin...I think I am stuck
  • SHELWIG
    Options
    it says my computer does not meet the minimum requirements...
  • brummyfan2
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SHELWIG said:
    it says my computer does not meet the minimum requirements...

Hi,
    Give this a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb5-qmTuuA
    sorry, I have attached the wrong video.
  • IownAlaptop
    IownAlaptop Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the exact problem twice.  They all happened after a Windows 10 update was applied.  1st time, I was able to roll-back the Intel Display driver.  2nd time, I was NOT able to roll-back the driver since the button was greyed out.  I had to download the older Intel VGA driver from the Acer website and installed it overwriting the newer driver.  

I now followed the post suggesting we disable the auto install of drivers.  I hope this resolves this problem for good.  ACER or MICROSOFT should fix this video driver problem.

Thanks to those that posted instructions.

• ProfQuill
    ProfQuill Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Good news, a fix is at hand!

Just today I noticed an 'out of band' Windows Update, something about system firmware update.  I went ahead and let it reboot, in the process the Acer splash screen said something like Your System is being Updated.  After what seemed like a somewhat scary interval (maybe a minute or so), everything booted fine.  What did that do?  Updated BIOS to 1.12, and if you'll look at Acer's site, there is indeed a BIOS release documenting just this problem.

Tried a sleep/wakeup, and it works just like the olden days.  

I too was very surprised by this, since it seemed obvious that the Intel driver update broke it, but with this same driver, the BIOS update is indeed a fix. 

Can't really tell from any Microsoft documentation what this update did, it curiously refers to it as "Insyde Software - Firmware - 10/17/2017 12:00:00 AM 5.5.1.10" although the new BIOS is 1.12.

So if you are running Windows 10, just do a check for updates and let 'er rip.
  • ProfQuill

Tinkerer

Options

Just today I noticed an 'out of band' Windows Update, something about system firmware update.  I went ahead and let it reboot, in the process the Acer splash screen said something like Your System is being Updated.  After what seemed like a somewhat scary interval (maybe a minute or so), everything booted fine.  What did that do?  Updated BIOS to 1.12, and if you'll look at Acer's site, there is indeed a BIOS release documenting just this problem.

I too was very surprised by this, since it seemed obvious that the Intel driver update broke it, but with this same driver, the BIOS update is indeed a fix. 

Can't really tell from any Microsoft documentation what this update did, it curiously refers to it as "Insyde Software - Firmware - 10/17/2017 12:00:00 AM 5.5.1.10" although the new BIOS is 1.12.

• brummyfan2
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ProfQuill said:

Hi,
    Yes, this happened to another member as well, I'm glad Acer has fixed the problem with a BIOS update :)
  • ProfQuill

Tinkerer

Options
    Ack, sorry for the double-posting, my connection burped and I guess some bits fell off the wire.  Anyway, doing a search on Insyde Software reveals that they do UEFI firmware for OEMs.  Makes sense and good show!