Flashed Bios from v1.10 to 1.23 now I get "No Bootable Device found" after Acer Logo

Options
Yeeyoh
Yeeyoh Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, 

As the title says, "Flashed Bios from v1.10 to 1.23 now I get 'No Bootable Device found' after Acer Logo". I have a dual install of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.
   I was doing some googling and the one thing that looked right was "After a BIOS update, the hard drive can revert to a default value of AHCI that causes your Intel Desktop Board to no longer boot."  This website suggest going into advance bios option and making sure the sata drive is set to IDE....  Which would be great but the bios on the laptop (not v1.23) only has basic options Information/main/security/boot/exit.  
   So does anybody have any idea how, or the easiest method to get the bios to recognized the harddrive ?
      Just a note, fresh install of both the windows 10 and Ubuntu and both workign great right up to successfully flashing the Bios.
   Thanks in advance for any help,
      Brian

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

enter BIOS and under security or boot menu, check if is your BIOS is set as Legacy or UEFI - try to switch to the other value (Legacy-> UEFI or UEFI->Legacy) the press F10 and check if your system boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

enter BIOS and under security or boot menu, check if is your BIOS is set as Legacy or UEFI - try to switch to the other value (Legacy-> UEFI or UEFI->Legacy) the press F10 and check if your system boot.

• Yeeyoh
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I did end up finding the solution you suggested on line and it worked.  I switched from UEFI to Legacy and then it detected the harddrive, no problem.  Of course by then I'd formated and repartitioned the harddrive from a flash drive so I had to re-install windows but hey, I was very glad just to get it working again.

I wonder if I'll ever be able to switch the bios back to UEFI ? I plan to leave it alone for now.

Thanks again for the reply and the correct solution.

• IronFly
    Options

i suggest you to wipe your HDD/SSD and install using UEFI setting on BIOS.

Ubuntu x64 supports UEFI setting.

• Yeeyoh
    Options

I did end up wiping/formating the HDD and reinstalling windows 10 but as your first post suggest, even with the harddrive reformated the bios would still only recognize it if I switched from UEFI to legacy.
       This is only the second time I tried using Ubuntu. I can't recall why I didn't stick with it the first time. I will probably try again but I'll have to look up which programs I use that have a linex version and which ones don't.

• IronFly
    Options

if you installed windows 10 under UEFI settings, it can't boot under legacy...there's something wrong.

• Yeeyoh
    Options

I think you need to reread the original post.  I'll try to break it down for you. 

1 I updated the bios from 1.10 to 1.23.  (The bios is in UEFI I have both windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 installed in a dual boot.)

2 The bios would not detect the harddrive at all

3 I used a flash drive version of Unbuntu to format the hardrive (the bios is still not seeing the harddrive at boot)

4 I switched the bios from UEFI to Legacy (the bios can now see the harddrive while booting.)

5 I installed windows 10 on the harddrive

And just another note the whole time the harddrive is a selectible item in "boot order' in the bios when it is set on UEFI or Legacy.
       I basically consider this solved.  Thanks again for the help Smiley Happy

• IronFly
    Options

sorry but i'm missing one thing:

HDD is not recognised from BIOS, what do you mean?

is missing from the main tab (information)

is missing from the Boot list menu

• Yeeyoh
    Options

"As the title says, "Flashed Bios from v1.10 to 1.23 now I get 'No Bootable Device found' after Acer Logo"" from original post.
    the harddrive was always seen in the bios in both the main tab and the Boot list.  The harddrive was only not detected at all durring the boot process, which was fixed by switching the bios to legacy.

(the harddrive was not detectable at all durring boot. I've seen a no-bootable-OS detected durring boot before but never a No Bootable Device at all error before.)

• IronFly
    Options

So...the OSes were installed as Legacy and now are installed as Legacy too, since you got the same error.

if you set the BIOS to UEFI and install using an UEFI compatible USB flash drive, you will not be able to boot under legacy...

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12, choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    6) once at language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, a command prompt will open
    7) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (x is the number of your HDD)
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit again to close command prompt
    8) proceed with windows 10 installation

Ubuntu can be installed under UEFI, just need to be the x64 version